Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 22lr subsonic Hollow point

The 970 gr. load that Scout mentioned should kill well...LOL.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@Moa Hunter I'll buy the off you to try in mine if you like or maybe get some you like and swap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Moa Hunter I'll buy the off you to try in mine if you like or maybe get some you like and swap
    Only a third of a box left, you can just have them for a try out. PM me your ph No.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    The 970 gr. load that Scout mentioned should kill well...LOL.
    Bugger I knew some one would see that, I tried to fix it but bloody cant edit after 30minues or some thing, seems a bit silly ?

I meant 970 fps of course & I see you separated the gr to make it look worse/more obvious !

970 gr would tumble me reckons but penetrate like Hell if stable lol !
    Moa Hunter and Ranger 888 like this.

I bought some of the 60gr stuff for a laugh, have not got round to shooting it yet but the Gun City guy at the counter reckoned it always hit the paper going sideways for him

In my 10/22 I found the CCI subs shoot and group the best of any ammo I've tried. You do need to strip and clean the magazine every so often due to the wax coating on the projectiles builds up and starts to cause jams. Get the odd failure to cycle - less with the 45g Supressor.
    I Use the 40g Sub HP for possums/rabbits and hares and the 40g Std for plinking - same velocity - Std might group a little better and is cheaper but prefer the hollow points for clean kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopua Cowboy View Post
    I bought some of the 60gr stuff for a laugh, have not got round to shooting it yet but the Gun City guy at the counter reckoned it always hit the paper going sideways for him
    I think you'll find that the 60g is supposed to use a 1:9" twist barrel - unless you buy a match barrel in that almost all factory 22lr barrels are 1:16"

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Been collecting packets of subsonic hollow point hunting ammo to try in my build once it’s done
    Currently have
    Cci 40gn subsonic
    Winchester 40gn
    Winchester 42gn
    Aguila 38gn
    Fiocchi 40gn
    Eley 40gn

Any good ones ive missed I should get a hold of?

Looking at all subsonic arround 1065fps mark ie normal subsonic ammo
    Not really interested in the super slow stuff Like 7-800 type stuff
    CCI Segmented Hollow Point Subsonic, packet says 1050 fps, so in your ballpark.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    A heeled projectile at 950 FPS... Doubt it makes a difference.
    60gn will stabilise in 1:12 twist of .222 etc.
    .222 is moving that 60g at 3x the speed though - and its a nice copper jacketed projectile as opposed to a hunk of lead I remember reading about the barrels for the 60g when I was looking at the 22 copper solids that Cutting Edge Bullets are supposed to be developing - if they ever release... they are supposed to be 30g for 1:16, 40g for 1:12 and 50g for 1:9 - all hyper velocity. Apparently copper solids behave differently to lead lead / lead core - I guess as a side effect of mass vs volume

aguila ammo used dupont powder, its filthy stuff residue wise

So results
    Shot at 50m did not fire any exclamation shots before shooting for accuracy (like you should)
    Just fired 10 of each ammo one after the other

Winchester 40gn USA was a clear loser with like a 2 inch group at 50
    Most of the others shot 3/4 inch at 50 which is perfectly Acceptable for a shorty hunting rifle

Stand out was the Aguila 38gn which shot 1/2 inch or better At 50
    And Was hitting my 2 inch steel targets at 100 with good consistently once I worked out the drops Which was about 3 inches from a 50m zero
    I hear the batch to batch consistently is shit
    So ill shoot out and grab a brick (of the same batch number ) I hope
    500 rounds is A couple of years shooting for this rifle
    Its a spotlighting for possums and rabbits rifle
    Not a range rifle
    Bill999 and Moa Hunter like this.

I've been using CCI Quiets the last few months on a Chiappa Little Badger (710fps 40 grain).

I'm finding they're accuracy good to 25m, and 50m they start to drift a little. But they are very very quiet. I've been shooting hares and they are quite devastating on them.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Earlier in the week two forum members and I shot some 22 ammo over the chrony. Surprise surprise Subs weren't sub !! The EM 332 shot everything 100fps faster than the other rifles Win 40 gr subs 1100 to 1190 fps. The HV was only 100 fps or less faster in the EM.
    In other rifles all subs - CCI, Win Sportco shot 1050 - 1100 fps.
    csmiffy likes this.

Seen that with a brand new much more expensive sporting rifle than that I’ll keep the brand quiet as they normally make a bloody good rifle and would hate to put anyone off But it was a sporting (hunting) rifle which was to be used for a professional pest control shooter
    Everything he put through it was supersonic and most were that tight to chamber you had to force the bolt home useing an unhealthy amount of force

he ended up having to return the rifle as it was no use to him without the Ability to suppress Efficiently And the force need to shut the bolt was not conducive to speed

Many american gunsmiths who do suppressor work "port" 22 barrels to ensure subsonic velocities with all (including HV) ammo