Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: 22mag vs 17hmr

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    One of these would be nice but would be just as happy with a black stock https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Fir...ss+17+HMR.html
    My mate has one in a Boyd's laminate stock very slick action but doesn't shoot any better than my marlin 917

22 magnums enjoying a resurgence with us. Recently bought a Marlin heavy barrel 22 Mag and with the Hornady ammo its a tack driver. 0.28" grouping at 50m - gadgetman tested this one. He uses another Marlin and the on range that also blew big hole in the black dot at 50m. In the field they are very effective on bunnies - hit very hard and nothing gets back up. I was actually looking for a 17HMR when this 22Mag popped up but very happy with the buy.

As mentioned earlier 22Mag heavier round, harder hitting than 17HMR, and thus more suitable for light boned bigger animals eg goats/wallabies. 17HMR smaller round, faster, flatter trajectory, with longer final range. Magnums in the past were often very average with accuracy but with the new higher spec, improved load Hornady etc ballistic tip ammos, they have really lifted their performance. No wrong answers here - just pick the one to suit your particular circumstances. Good fun choices.
    xtightg and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    22 magnums enjoying a resurgence with us. Recently bought a Marlin heavy barrel 22 Mag and with the Hornady ammo its a tack driver. 0.28" grouping at 50m - gadgetman tested this one. He uses another Marlin and the on range that also blew big hole in the black dot at 50m. In the field they are very effective on bunnies - hit very hard and nothing gets back up. I was actually looking for a 17HMR when this 22Mag popped up but very happy with the buy.

As mentioned earlier 22Mag heavier round, harder hitting than 17HMR, and thus more suitable for light boned bigger animals eg goats/wallabies. 17HMR smaller round, faster, flatter trajectory, with longer final range. Magnums in the past were often very average with accuracy but with the new higher spec, improved load Hornady etc ballistic tip ammos, they have really lifted their performance. No wrong answers here - just pick the one to suit your particular circumstances. Good fun choices.
    Or get one of each like I did and the voices in your head get to have and argument every time you go for a hunt as to which one will be the most effective calibre given the conditions of the day.

I wouldn't ever consider shooting at a deer sized animal with one. I know people have taken deer with a .22 but realistically that's not on.
    Goats too push the envelope past 75 80 metres, bodies too thick to reliably get to vitals and head or neck shooting requires perfect coordination and cooperation of the target.
    S I Wallabies in my experience don't have the body mass over the vital bits to prevent the bullet getting through. They also "sit" a bit better still id consider the limit to be 100 or 120 yds.
    Remember it's not just about being able to hit where you aim, it's also about the bullet arriving there with enough energy to dispatch the animal quickly and humanely and although the 22 mag starts out with nearly 300 ft lbs of energy by the time it's got to 100 it's lost half of that.
    xtightg, Phil_H and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    No judgement here, but just asking.....is a .22 magnum suitable for Wallabies? No doubt it is suitable for shooting Red Deer if you can always place the shot through its ear. It was just that I was gearing up to go for some Wallaby but was planning on using a .243 as I don't have a .223 and I believe they are really tuff little critters. I do have a CZ .22 magnum though. Have I been over thinking it?

Cheers
    Phil
    Or use a semi auto 22mag and pull the trigger 3 times each wallaby....

I have never even seen a wallaby in NZ, my advice is less than useless. I use the double tap technique on hares every time with 10/22 though, if you miss twice you're no worse off, hit twice and it is not likely to get up. This is pest control, not hunting for meat of course.
    Phil_H likes this.

Just to reassure you, I wasn't in anyway advocating shooting deer with a .22 mag. It was more in way of what would be theoretically possible if one was 100% able to guarantee shot placement every-time.

All said, I think I will stick with the plan of using the .243 until I can persuade the "Minister of War, Budget and Defence" - aka Sharon - to allow me to purchase a .223

Cheers
    Phil[/QUOTE]

So @Pommy and I spent quite a few hours wandering about the hills sharpening up our general fitness and hunting skills looking for wobblies.

We learnt many useful things, including the fact that without a solid hit in the vitals they will keep going for a while. They are no different to any other animal in that regard. But hit them solidly with an appropriate bullet and they'll perish quickly. Even better if you collect the CNS in some way.

The awkward thing about the wee hoppers is how they are arranged - the vitals aren't huge and side on they're in the top corner.

Where we've spent our time there is a lot of potential for glassing and picking them off there is potential for 400 to 500 metre shots if you have the skills. A 243 with a well developed load with a 75 to 85 grain varmint bullet would be just superb!

Not meaning to sidetrack the OP's question - the opportunities for us to knock them over with a 22 mag or 17 are very limited. After borrowing a 17 to deal to a load of rabbits I would have no qualms using one on wobblies up to 150m for head shots - it was that good!!!

Your .243 would be ideal @Phil_H not only for the 300m+ shooting needed for roos but also for the bigger beasts you are likely to run into as well. Plenty of pigs and fallow about in SI roo country (I've also run into reds and chamois too).

I once used a 22mag on the hoppers but only for spotlighting at short range from the back of a ute. Moving ones got a whacked with the 12ga and those that were still got a bullet from the magnum. That was the rules of the farmer we were out with. Also whose rifle we were using so not sure what ammo type, but at distances out to about 60-70m they went down with a chest shot.
    MB, xtightg and Phil_H like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Yes you might well drop a wallaby or goat at closer range with a 22 mag - esp I think with the bigger 40-50gr pill rather than the ballistic tip. If that is you happened to chance on one during a bunny shoot...
    But not anyone's caliber of choice for med or bigger animals. I also have a suppressed 243 for that.
    Dama dama, MB and Phil_H like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Here is my 2 cents on this topic.

Firstly, lets clear up an important point: every one who is asking this question already has a centrefire rifle. If you do not have a centrefire rifle, then buy that first before making a choice between these two guns.

Now we got that out of the way, lets clear up the second important point: for any animal that you think you may be pushing the limit of 22mag or 17hmr, just use your centrefire. In New Zealand, as recreational shooters/hunters we do not have the scenario where you have to shoot >10 goat sized animals from afar. So if you have to shoot goat sized animal from afar, use your centrefire. Extra ammo cost is negligible.

As far as common hunting targets go, that basically then leaves just hare, rabbit, possum, magpie , stoat, weasel, ferret, and feral cat. Either 17hmr or 22mag will do the job. But 17hmr shoots flatter and is more accurate at all viable distances. Therefore personally I see no advantage of going 22mag.

Another common use for 17hmr is 100-metre target shooting, where a $500 17hmr gun will shoot as good as a $2000 22LR at 100m. It is easy on the shoulder and the ear, and it is cheap to shoot compared to centrefire . Again, I see no advantage with 22mag.

There is probably one particular use where 22 mag has an advantage, but it is politically incorrect, so let's not worry about that.
    xtightg and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just to put a spanner in the works there is a new round coming out a .14 that is supposed to be the new pest round with a 17gr projectile . will be interesting to see the true ballistics not too sure how easy to clean that sized bore but may be an option to have one of them and a small centrefire for larger or longer shots as a more economical option cost wise for ammunition .
    Hate to burst your "bubble" that was an April Fools joke
    viper and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    A good comparison of both here....

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

Cheers
    Phil
    Nice article. Shame he did not have all the data on the heavier, 40 grain .22WMR a 150 yards.

The 40-grainer had the edge from somewhere below 100 yards compared to the 30-grainer ... despite starting out slower.

Velocity
    .22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = MV 2200 fps, 1720 fps at 50 yards, 1340 fps at 100 yards, 1080 fps at 150 yards.
    .22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = MV 1910 fps, 1610 fps at 50 yards, 1350 fps at 100 yards. [missing data]

Energy
    .22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = ME 325 ft. lbs., 200 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 120 ft. lbs. at 100 yards, 80 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.
    .22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = ME 324 ft. lbs., 230 ft. lbs. at 50 yards, 162 ft. lbs. at 100 yards. [data missing]

Trajectory
    .22 WMR, 30 grain TNT = +0.8" at 50 yards, 0 at 100 yards, -5.8" at 150 yards.
    .22 WMR, 40 grain JHP = +0.9" at 50 yards, 0 at 100 yards, -5.7" at 150 yards.
    viper and Phil_H like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Good thread , living in Central I thought I should give the Wallaby shooting a go. I have shot 1000's of rabbits with the .22 and 17 HMR and really couldn't wish for a better Bunny combo for the style of shooting I do.
    However I was or am worried I would be under gunned for Wallaby.
    I have shot a few out the back of Rotorua with .22 and it was fine but it was close bush work with nothing over 40 mtrs , down here I am guessing it will be more open shooting.
    I hate reloading so centrefire is out, is a 22 mag going to do the job out to the ranges down here ?
    dannyb likes this.

@viper in a word, no. Sure you'll kill some, but you'll wish u had more range. If u can use centrefire you'll have more fun. A 223 is ideal and cheap as to run on budget ammo.
    mudgripz, Steve123, viper and 2 others like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Agreed - the wallabies around rotorua are Dama species - little fellows - some not much bigger than a large hare. In Waimate area the Bennett wallabies are alot bigger at up to 800mm tall and 15-25kg, and while a 22 mag may get you some if you shoot them in the engine room or head, a 223 or 243 will be much more assured for kills. 223 excellent unless you also want to pop some bigger animals at range eg pigs/deer - then the power and versatility of 243 would make it a good choice.
    xtightg, Phil_H and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    good one dont actually keep up with the date just have to remember if i have work each night as going to work at 4 in the afternoon and getting home at 2 in the morning i hardly remember what month it is let alone actual dates.
    I'm a shift worker too, I feel your pain