Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: 243 vs .308

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    Finally a comment which makes absolute sense. The 6.5 Creed. Recoils like a .243 and hits like a .308 what more could a hunter ask for. Over to you @Barry the hunter
    Ill bite a 6.5x55😬

nope it doesnt hit like a .308...it hits like a .264
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Haha!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Banned
    With modern powders and loads a 7x57 is in the sweet spot
    csmiffy, -BW-, RugerM77 and 1 others like this.

Out to 400m it only just hits like a proper 264 (win mag). After that the heavier better BC projectiles in the faster twist start to beat it

This is my personal take on a somewhat contentious subject.
    I think its a red herring to ask for advice for which caliber to buy for a first rifle, with the intent of picking a rifle of that specific calibre. Advice on specifically which calibre a new shooter shoot own is often erroneous, stemming from personal preferences or opinions that are often more limiting than useful.

My advice is to create a 'shortlist' of calibres that meet your basic criteria. i.e. What animals are you hunting or what range are your targets? Do you want a readily available and wide selection of brands of ammunition to buy at any gun store you walk into? Or, are you happy to hunt around for a box or two of your calibre when you can find it? Do you have a friend or family member able to reload for you? Does the choice of rifle matter?

Once you've had a think about this, you should be able to find 2, 3 or more calibre choices that fit your list. And if you don't have a criteria, then the world is your oyster in terms of choice. About the only caveat is to avoid heavy recoiling beasts too soon before you've built some shooting experience.

If you have a shortlist of options, the choice of what rifles you can buy readily opens up, and you're not as limited. This is especially important if budget is a concern and you're shopping on the second hand market. Which I also recommend to a new shooter.

Most of us on here have all been down the path of owning multiple rifles over the years, and chances are, for many of us, that first rifle and calibre choice didn't matter at all. You will eventually own more that one gun, some will go and others will stay, and you will build experience with a variety of calibres over your shooting journey.

Calibres are like chicks, if you wanna claim redheads are hotter than brunettes or blonds, go right ahead, but personally I would try them all before you marry one.
    GSP HUNTER, Micky Duck, MB and 6 others like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    Calibres are like chicks, if you wanna claim redheads are hotter than brunettes or blonds, go right ahead, but personally I would try them all before you marry one.
    Best post on the forum today!
    Trout, Micky Duck, dannyb and 4 others like this.

I think its a red herring to ask for advice for which caliber to buy for a first rifle, with the intent of picking a rifle of that specific calibre. Advice on specifically which calibre a new shooter shoot own is often erroneous, stemming from personal preferences or opinions that are often more limiting than useful.

My advice is to create a 'shortlist' of calibres that meet your basic criteria. i.e. What animals are you hunting or what range are your targets? Do you want a readily available and wide selection of brands of ammunition to buy at any gun store you walk into? Or, are you happy to hunt around for a box or two of your calibre when you can find it? Do you have a friend or family member able to reload for you? Does the choice of rifle matter?

Once you've had a think about this, you should be able to find 2, 3 or more calibre choices that fit your list. And if you don't have a criteria, then the world is your oyster in terms of choice. About the only caveat is to avoid heavy recoiling beasts too soon before you've built some shooting experience.

If you have a shortlist of options, the choice of what rifles you can buy readily opens up, and you're not as limited. This is especially important if budget is a concern and you're shopping on the second hand market. Which I also recommend to a new shooter.

Most of us on here have all been down the path of owning multiple rifles over the years, and chances are, for many of us, that first rifle and calibre choice didn't matter at all. You will eventually own more that one gun, some will go and others will stay, and you will build experience with a variety of calibres over your shooting journey.

bloody words of wisdom very well put top man - so many calibers are so close - and then go custom well some odd ball choices -okay many ya wont be able to buy ammo- it will cost you a lot of money to get a useable rifle in your chosen calibre -if thats your thing and you have the budget for all the expense okay but try selling it - and then there are calibers that have been around for years and do the job as they always have and easy to sell 308 270 7x57 243 - unless ya fanatic reloader and have shit loads of money to spend on 6.5 cream puff or what ever - just buy quality in a good calibre- with resale value - and spend ya hard earned cash on a helicopter into a good hunting spot - your second hand sako in 308 that ya picked up at a bargain price on the forum will do the job -why waste money

bargain prices sako .308s....MAN I missed out AGAIN!!!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yep sage advice there. I think the real reason God created calibres is so that we mortals can fool ourselves into believing we need a new rifle. He who dies with the most toys wins.
    dannyb likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

bargain prices sako .308s....MAN I missed out AGAIN!!!!!
    they are out there Micky Duck- I have seen them - this forum comes up with some real bargains
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    Yep sage advice there. I think the real reason God created calibres is so that we mortals can fool ourselves into believing we need a new rifle. He who dies with the most toys wins.
    Actually, he who does having used whatever toys he has the most wins!

Exactly what I did, was expecting to buy a 308 but ended up with a 270
    Micky Duck likes this.

Out of the 2 rifles in this topic my personal choice would be the 243

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    Exactly what I did, was expecting to buy a 308 but ended up with a 270
    and I bet never looked back - I had a 270 for a no of years - never failed to impress me the way it dropped deer -but I got a sako 308 and that did the business
    Micky Duck likes this.