Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor? whats everyones thoughts? on hunting performance

6.5 Creedmoor? whats everyones thoughts? on hunting performance

Hey everyone,have been using my mates Tikka T3X on my last 2 hunts both successfull but on fallow ( range was 120-150m) love the rifle but whats peoples experience on its actual limitations on say red deer( I am not chasing big stags) am thinking about buying it off him in the future but have very limited experience with calibre..

did you not like the answers you got on the other site where you asked same question????
    Mroach likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I have found the 143 eldx kills very very well so much so i got a prc as well and the philmore, Many slips i hunt end up shooting over 300y and i will always go for more dead with more energy.
    In saying that i would be happy to use the credemore in very little wind out to 400y
    Interesting to note my prc is only a little bit faster but in similar conditions was a lot less wind drift at 500y, I dont dial for wind but was able to hold 1/3rd of the gong rather then at the post for the credemore
    BRADS and Moa Hunter like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

maybe you could also pop over to the .223 on deer thread and repeat your "hero" comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mroach View Post
    Hey everyone,have been using my mates Tikka T3X on my last 2 hunts both successfull but on fallow ( range was 120-150m) love the rifle but whats peoples experience on its actual limitations on say red deer( I am not chasing big stags) am thinking about buying it off him in the future but have very limited experience with calibre..
    okay within 300 meters with correct projectile will drop big reds okay but push that calibre any further then you have problems - and if any one wants to argue that please dont advise new hunters on here that 6.5 crudmore is the be all and end all that's irresponsible - why do we have the real long range calibers like 7mm magnum - 300 magnum because they work thats why - 6.5 crudmore will do what you ask out to 300 metres after that - get a real caliber and drop your deer safely
    Moa Hunter and camenzie like this.

obviously not.

I've been hunting with a Creedmoor (classed as a moderate 6.5mm), shooting 140-147 gr Amax or ELDM at 2700ish fps for a number of years now, and have never felt that it was inadequate or that I lost an animal due to the cartridge/bullet not performing. Longest kills in 500-600m bracket.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Yes I saw your reply, was in the process of answering and in a way apologising,then had to get back to work. The answer is my 223 groups about 2.5 inches at 70m. (its shit) If you refrain from taking a shot under less than ideal conditions well then thats respectfull. However I too have experience with the 223 ( more the 5.56 NATO ) and have seen people fuck up. In both a recreational and military application.

The Creedmoor and .260 have been my go to cal for a number of years now and I use either the 243 ELDX or 142 Nosler ABLR around 2800 fps they work awesome and have shot a heap of deer reds and fallow out to 635 yards.
    I shot a big 10 point red at 500 and have had no issues.
    If you are looking for a Tikka Superlight in .260 flick me a PM I may know of one that shoots bloody awesome.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad and 308mate like this.

6.5 Creedmoor provides similar ballistics to 6.5x55, which has been used to take frickin' Moose since the late 1800's through to the present day.

If you're in any doubt about the ability of a 6.5mm's ability to kill ungulates, there is over a century's worth of data, anecdotes, opinions and articles which you could have looked for.
    imaca and Swanny like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I reckon the 6.5 caliber is the ideal choice for NZ hunting conditions with the possible exception of Wapiti in Fiordland or longer rage shooting in the Southern alps. I shot the 6.5x55 for many years, mainly bush hunting but took some good sized red stags using the Nosler partition 140 grainers. Prior to that I used a 30/06 and can honestly say I never really noticed the difference in performance on game.
    Never forget that when talking caliber choice for any given application you must also include bullet choice. The projectile choice is arguably just as important as the caliber.
    I now use a 6.5 Creedmoor which for all intensive purposes gives the same performance as the old 6.5x55.
    It amuses me when I see comments from the Creedmoor hate club, like Barry the hunter. A "Crudmoor" Really??? Why pick on the Creedmoor why not lump all the 6.5's into your hate club, or at least the 260 Remington and the 6.5x55. Maybe its because "Crudmoor" is such a cool catch phrase.
    For a new to sport hunter the 6.5 Creedmoor would arguably be a better choice than something with more grunt, and recoil, like a 7mm Rem Mag. A new shooter is going to be far more comfortable with the recoil of the Creedmoor than the Rem Mag and a well placed shot from that Creedmoor is always going to beat the poorly placed shot from the Rem Mag.
    Lastly if you need further convincing of the effectiveness of the 6.5 Caliber then think about the number of Moose that are shot in Scandinavia using the old 6.5 x55. Using the right projectile choice of course.
    Bill999, 10-Ring, Nick-D and 10 others like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    I reckon the 6.5 caliber is the ideal choice for NZ hunting conditions with the possible exception of Wapiti in Fiordland or longer rage shooting in the Southern alps. I shot the 6.5x55 for many years, mainly bush hunting but took some good sized red stags using the Nosler partition 140 grainers. Prior to that I used a 30/06 and can honestly say I never really noticed the difference in performance on game.
    Never forget that when talking caliber choice for any given application you must also include bullet choice. The projectile choice is arguably just as important as the caliber.
    I now use a 6.5 Creedmoor which for all intensive purposes gives the same performance as the old 6.5x55.
    It amuses me when I see comments from the Creedmoor hate club, like Barry the hunter. A "Crudmoor" Really??? Why pick on the Creedmoor why not lump all the 6.5's into your hate club, or at least the 260 Remington and the 6.5x55. Maybe its because "Crudmoor" is such a cool catch phrase.
    For a new to sport hunter the 6.5 Creedmoor would arguably be a better choice than something with more grunt, and recoil, like a 7mm Rem Mag. A new shooter is going to be far more comfortable with the recoil of the Creedmoor than the Rem Mag and a well placed shot from that Creedmoor is always going to beat the poorly placed shot from the Rem Mag.
    Lastly if you need further convincing of the effectiveness of the 6.5 Caliber then think about the number of Moose that are shot in Scandinavia using the old 6.5 x55. Using the right projectile choice of course.
    Hah I knew I would wind up some 6.5 crudmore lovers-get a real caliber- long live the mighty .270 - why do I dislike the 6.5 crudmore so much - because it came out was touted as the magic caliber for long range ( yes okay ) but was then imported into NZ in a whole host of makes but notably Tikka and then onsold by a whole raft of young sales people who really knew fuck all in major gun shops as the be all and end all of calibres one required - to a lot of new shooters - they were not told that to get humane kills at range required skill - bullet placement - projectile choice etc to get effective kills with their new squaw gun 6.5 crudmore - I rest my case and end of that from me - I will use appropriate calibers

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Hah I knew I would wind up some 6.5 crudmore lovers-get a real caliber- long live the mighty .270
    Would you consider the .270 a more capable round than 6.5 Creedmoor?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Hah I knew I would wind up some 6.5 crudmore lovers-get a real caliber- long live the mighty .270 - why do I dislike the 6.5 crudmore so much - because it came out was touted as the magic caliber for long range ( yes okay ) but was then imported into NZ in a whole host of makes but notably Tikka and then onsold by a whole raft of young sales people who really knew fuck all in major gun shops as the be all and end all of calibres one required - to a lot of new shooters - they were not told that to get humane kills at range required skill - bullet placement - projectile choice etc to get effective kills with their new squaw gun 6.5 crudmore - I rest my case and end of that from me - I will use appropriate calibers
    Sounds like you have never owned one.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

zeropak..lots of elk are shot and cleanly killed with the .243w and the .30/30 too
    BUT they are in range and shooter knows there shit/shot placement and as mentioned above projectile choice.
    zeropak..this OP also has a .270 that apparently is very accurate..on one website..and not so much when opting to sell it on here..make of that what you will.
    as I said to OP elsewhere..the 6.5CM will do nothing that his currently VERY accurate .270w wont do already...and/or the crossover between the two is enough to make buying one when already has the other is......weird..even weirder when money being tight is reason to sell the one he already has.
    also has a .45/70 for close range/big stuff...... only will be shooting out to 300-350...... so again you need a new 6.5cm why????
    but what the hell do I know..Im just a .223 shooting "hero" apparently......