Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 30-06

30-06

Hey folks.

Asking on behalf of a mate.

So he currently has a 13.5inch 308 which is his bush hack type rifle and for what it is yeah sure its nice and all but he is wanting to get something that can reach a bit further out.

For simplicity of components I have suggested a 30-06 plus once suppressed it won't boot him around too much.

For those who have 30-06s in terms of weight, portability,recoil and killing power down range am I safe to assume it's got a fair bit more boogie than a tried and true 308? And how does it go with say a 20" barrel?

I'm asking as I own 308 myself albeit with a 20" barrel and love it but for my mates purposes a 30-06 sounds on paper like not a bad step up?

Cheers

Have a read of my recent 30-06 load developement thread, mine was 22" barrel and was plenty deadly out to plenty far away shootin 178gn eldms at a moderate pace.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ight=Lone+wolf
    7mmsaum and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Gone but not forgotten
    The 30-06 does have an edge over the 308, particularly with the heavier bullets, but I wouldn't say it has a fair bit more boogie. Velocities with the same bullet are similar, but the 30-06 stabilises the heavier ones better as a faster twist is standard (1:10, whereas 308 is usually 1:12, but can get 1:8).
    timattalon likes this.

He planning on keeping the short bush 308? Why not just get another 308 with a full length tube, simplifies the reloading process even further.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    He planning on keeping the short bush 308? Why not just get another 308 with a full length tube, simplifies the reloading process even further.
    That had seriously crossed my mind actually.

how much far is he trying to reach. Even a 13.5 inch 308 can reach quite far I expect?

30-06 should put bullets out at around 150fps faster than a 308.
    A 22" 30-06 will put bullets out substantially faster than a 13.5 inch 308 especially with heavier projectiles.
    Steve123 and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    30-06 should put bullets out at around 150fps faster than a 308.
    A 22" 30-06 will put bullets out substantially faster than a 13.5 inch 308 especially with heavier projectiles.
    yes but how far are we trying to shoot?? If a "bit further" means to 400m then surely a 308 with something like 168eldm would work?

As far as 30/06s go I have seen my mate in action with his kimber (unshortened) and its bloody impressive.
    Last edited by mikee; 05-02-2022 at 12:54 PM.

If he has a hankering for another rifle then the 30-06 certainly fits the bill. A bit of a step up from the 308, and easy to load for. But if it was mine I wouldn't be limiting it somewhat by chopping the barrel to 20". I'd be looking to keep it at least 22" and preferably 24" to utilise what the 30-06 is capable of. Theres no need to have 2 short as rifles.

And the 06 is certainly capable of sending mean as boolits way out there with authority, just as capable as any of the modern sooper dooper offerings that are flavour of the month at present.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    A 22" 308 should also put bullets out substantially faster then a 13.5" 308, just not quite as fast as the 30-06.

Another point to maybe consider in these times of component shortages is that a 30-06 uses a lot more powder per round than a 308.

Mine is blued steel and walnut and a 24" barrel. Not going to be my first choice for bush bashing but that's why I have a lever 30-30.

Commonality of components is a great reason to have different 30 cals.

The 30-06 does well with loads from cat sneeze to earschplittenloudenboomer, with projectiles from cast lead to ballistic tips in weights from 110 to 180 but portability and recoil are inversely proportional.

Here's some reading matter from the Defense Technical Information Center that probably doesn't answer your question but the conclusion is gold;

The 30-06 is never a mistake – Townsend Whelen

Name:  Ballistics of the 30-06.png
Views: 521
Size:  99.5 KB
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Another good thing about the 30/06 is that it tolerates a lot of different powder types and speeds. Kinda handy in this day and age of shortages. You’ll be able to find something on the shelf to get a satisfactory load going for it.
    Bullers243 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    yes but how far are we trying to shoot?? If a "bit further" means to 400m then surely a 308 with something like 168eldm would work?

As far as 30/06s go I have seen my mate in action with his kimber (unshortened) and its bloody impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    A 22" 308 should also put bullets out substantially faster then a 13.5" 308, just not quite as fast as the 30-06.

Another point to maybe consider in these times of component shortages is that a 30-06 uses a lot more powder per round than a 308.
    Yes it all depends how far a bit further is really.

I have used the 308 fairly extensively and its range limitations on game im my experience are not so much due to energy but due to wind drift.

And chucking a higher bc bullet faster helps a lot with actually hitting what you are aiming at on the first shot.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    The difference between 13.5" and 20" barrels chambered in .308Win is 200-250ft/sec
    The difference between a .308win and 30-06 is 100-150ft/sec

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The difference between 13.5" and 20" barrels chambered in .308Win is 200-250ft/sec
    The difference between a .308win and 30-06 is 100-150ft/sec
    Yes however I believed the point being in a longer configuration the 30-06 is going to tick a box that potentially the .308 won’t, off the cuff.
    Dan M