Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 30-06

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I've heard it said that the 30 06 is never a mistake.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Sounds like an excuse for a .300WSM. Easily better than both in terms of fps and especially energy and, if it's going to be a dedicated medium to long range gun, why not?
    Big improvement, as opposed to a marginal improvement out of a 26inch tube.
    True, after shooting my Mates Kimber Mountain Ascent or Sub Alpine (I cant remember which) ....................30/06 I brought a 300WSM and shortened the barrel to 20 inches. I was looking for 30/06 ballistics but with a shorter overall length when suppressor fitted which is exactly what I got or slightly better pretty much.
    dannyb likes this.

This is a very interesting thread,I have a 308 and a 30.06,both with 20 inch barrels and suppressed.
    I get very similar performance from both calibers,the 30.06 is giving me 85 ft/s faster speeds with the 165 gn projectiles.
    I'm told the 30.06 is very versitile to load for,however mine seems to be fussy.I guess it comes down to the individual rifle.
    Im told bigger case capacity means more powder means more speed,so if it's down range energy your friend needs then the 30.06 can definitely be loaded for 600 yds.

I would go either 308 or 30.06 in caliber,I guess the decision would be in finding a rifle that your friend likes...in either caliber.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

308 will be easy to find factory ammo for, 30 06 is better if your going for hot cartridges like superformance or loading up. This gets you about 1/2 way between traditional 06 and magnum performance. You need to remember a lot of factory 30 06 is not loaded to it's potential.
    If in doubt get both then maybe a 300 WM just in case your still not sure you want more grunt.
    jakewire likes this.

20" 308 with the right bullet is good to 500 no worries. Already had the components so tell him to buy some 168tmks/eldm/amax

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    20" 308 with the right bullet is good to 500 no worries. Already had the components so tell him to buy some 168tmks/eldm/amax
    I got one of these for sale
    jakewire likes this.

I have a .308 and a .30/06. A 30/06 with a 22 inch barrel will take a 13 inch barrelled .308 and pound it into the ground like a tent peg.

But if you're going to chop the barrel short and suppress it, then dont bother. Doing that is to ignore performance, which is the thing you're trying to enhance.

As good as the 30-06 is, if it were me I would be looking at a 7mmRM or 300WM with a 24in barrel, muzzle brake, and high BC pills. The 30-06 packs a heavy punch but there will be more wind drift compared to a 7RM/300WM; the wind is your real enemy on the tops rather than energy/trajectory

The win mag probably wins due to more ammo/component availability

Quote Originally Posted by Bullers243 View Post
    This is a very interesting thread,I have a 308 and a 30.06,both with 20 inch barrels and suppressed.
    I get very similar performance from both calibers,the 30.06 is giving me 85 ft/s faster speeds with the 165 gn projectiles.
    I'm told the 30.06 is very versitile to load for,however mine seems to be fussy.I guess it comes down to the individual rifle.
    Im told bigger case capacity means more powder means more speed,so if it's down range energy your friend needs then the 30.06 can definitely be loaded for 600 yds.

I would go either 308 or 30.06 in caliber,I guess the decision would be in finding a rifle that your friend likes...in either caliber.
    this mirrors the results Iv been getting with my 280 rem vs what my mate is doing with his 7mm08
    Iv got a full 22 inch barrel and he is nipping at my heels with his 16 inch 7mm08
    Id either stoke up the 308 with a hand load or step up to a 7RM

Cheers for the replies folks. Have passed on.

Think he will stick with what he has 308 wise and perhaps just upgrade the scope

Knowing what l know now as have a short 308 a medium 3006 and in my past life a 300wsm.
    A no brainer to go 300wsm in my book for what you describe.
    155 amax 800yds and still doing the job on animals.
    Put some bigger pills in and even better results!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Knowing what l know now as have a short 308 a medium 3006 and in my past life a 300wsm.
    A no brainer to go 300wsm in my book for what you describe.
    155 amax 800yds and still doing the job on animals.
    Put some bigger pills in and even better results!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Genuine question Andy.
    Why are you running such a light projectile in a wsm?
    Super bunny vaporizer?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Anything the 308 does the 3006 does better and the 300wsm does better again and so on. Any caliber is a compromise in some measure. Apart from the 280AI.

If your mate wants to shoot past 600y then something that holds more powder than 308 is required.

I wanted an ultralight 600y max rifle with my 308 Montana. It goes well.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.