Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 30-30 with a Oceania Defence muzzle brake

After reading @sixtus post....I think I have a solution.....

Name:  images (73).jpeg
Views: 358
Size:  14.5 KB
    sixtus likes this.

Pretty much, its accepted by the military now even soldiers shooting with hearing protection may get hearing damage. But I'd be careful posting suggestions like that publicly 308mate, the way things are going our governments might make it mandatory
    Last edited by sixtus; 22-09-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    I know that. My question was how bad it will be with this barrel length/calibre.
    short barrels are bad enough on their own, it brings the noise closer to your ear while shooting, add a brake that directs even more back toward the shooter it would make it very unpleasant and down right painful in a range booth

with the weight of the rig running 3030 loads the recoil will be very comfortable without it and even better with the suppressor fitted

how bad? if i have to make up a scale ill give it a 7
    308mate and sixtus like this.

plinking or bail loads with a light load of trail boss will be awesome,noise will be ok....but a full blown load would be painfull to say the least. once you bugger your hearing THERE IS NO GOING BACK....ITS STUFFED,people have to shout so you can hear....the Mrs whispers a sweet nothing in your ear,and you cant hear it....look after your ears,you only get two of them.
    sixtus likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Hmm after these last comments I think I'll stick with the OD cyclone flash hider for now and shoot it suppressed most of the time @Cigar what's the recoil like on your 16" 30-30?
    It has a decent recoil but not bad. I’ve been shooting it since I was 16 and weighed about 60kg and never really noticed it. The recoil is more of a push than a sharp jab, and definitely better than my 308 which is a similar weight.
    The loudness of the bark can make the bite seem worse than it really is, I find hearing protection is great at reducing felt recoil
    308mate and sixtus like this.

at 20 i had already lost 50% hearing in my left ear. pre employment heath check showed it. bought the first supp shortly after

the ringing is noticeable when things are quiet. thanks to a mate shooting a 7RM muzzle break at high altitude. right beside me, felt like someone putting a knitting needle in my ear
    Micky Duck and sixtus like this.

I'm keen to see how this project goes, thinking about doing the same myself.
    Will you look at loading subs or just supers?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I'm keen to see how this project goes, thinking about doing the same myself.
    Will you look at loading subs or just supers?
    Probably just Supers due to the fact I'll work out a good load worth those Hornady lever evolution projectiles and get the CDS made up for the Leupold scope so I can just dial in the distance on them.

I may look at subs later on but was hoping for a Troy PAR 300blk for that or maybe even a 45'70 like @300_BLK

I've only just got the rifle and bits all together so hopefully take her for a shoot in a few weeks.

Name:  20190926_221606.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  4.08 MB
    Name:  20190926_221527.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  3.41 MB
    Name:  20190926_221509.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  2.07 MB
    Last edited by 308mate; 26-09-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    eamars likes this.

Hornady Lever Evolution on the left. Let's you use pointed bullets in tube magazines.

Name:  20190926_222355.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  2.23 MB

Gone but not forgotten
    And Sierra 125 in the middle?

Hornady Lever Evolution on the left. Let's you use pointed bullets in tube magazines.

Attachment 120882
    dont think its fat enough for the 125...they are pretty stubbie. the speer 170grn has always had a huge following in the .30/30 cause it just works.

After reading @sixtus post....I think I have a solution.....

Attachment 120550
    jeez, i have heard of safe sex but that ridiculous

if it was me ( which it's not ) i would throw the LOUDNER away . . get the mag cut back to the wood ( 3 rounds are plenty ) now the suppressor can come back for better balance

load up some lead bullets to 1600fps . . now you have a well balanced rifle combo that is very pleasant to shoot, not loud with plenty of grunt . . my 2c

good luck
    Micky Duck and 308mate like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    if it was me ( which it's not ) i would throw the LOUDNER away . . get the mag cut back to the wood ( 3 rounds are plenty ) now the suppressor can come back for better balance

load up some lead bullets to 1600fps . . now you have a well balanced rifle combo that is very pleasant to shoot, not loud with plenty of grunt . . my 2c

good luck
    The muzzle device is a QD cyclone brake more like a flash hider so it's not as bad as a normal brake, I'll probably shoot it suppressed mainly. I probably wouldn't shorten the barrel any more than it is to move the suppressor back as 16" is probably as short as I would want 30-30. It feels quite nicely balanced as it is now, he suppressor only weighs 170grams. Will see how it shoots next week. I want this thing to have a reasonable amount of legs for a .3030 so I don't want to cut too much weight off it for recoil reasons. I may thrown a limbsaver on the back and I think that and the Oceania Suppressor will take a bit of the bite out.
    Last edited by 308mate; 27-09-2019 at 05:40 PM.
    rossi.45 likes this.