Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 300BLK on AR Platform for Bush Hunting

Quite a lot of info on the calibre over at the SportShooter forum too on the 300BLK

Just to muddy the waters, have you considered a 9mm or a 7.62x39 on an AR platform?

I don't know about AR15 300 blk, only used the bolt action rifle in subsonic's, shot only 2 deer and 5 pigs all head and neck shot at no more that 60m. Subs are grate for knocking a few goats over on the way to your favourite deer hotspot without a sound. Easy to make brass for and reloading too. Have not reloaded in supersonics yet but would think it would be similar to a 223 in noise and performance within 200m. I do like the idea of a AR blackout the fun factor and with the ability to double tap shots and after all its 2 guns in 1, subs and supers. win win. One thing about hunting with an AR they noisy when in tight bush and cocking them when in the zone compared to a bolt action.

I don't know anything about ar rifles but have used 30 cal subsonic a bit.
    It will never have the knock down of full power loads of course but with a projectile that will expand and fragment it is effective.

Some of spanners projectiles fired into lots and lots of wet newspaper at 30 yards, launched at around 1000 fps out of a t3

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1413568856028.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  29.9 KB

Big wound channel in the paper and penetration of around 14 inches.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I've been wanting a AR for a long long time (pretty much forever) but have never been able too justify it given I already have a .223 which is very accurate and goes everywhere with me. There's no point in owning 2 .223's and selling it isn't an option.

I see NZAR15 (Digit) have a nice wee AR platform in 300BLK. I don't know much about the calibre other than is probably slightly better ballistically than the 7.62x39 (arguable?) and factory ammo can be bought subsonic or supersonic.

Anyone using a 300BLK AR as a bush gun? Pro's vs. con's? I imagine it would be a pretty lethal calibre within 150m on deer, goats, pigs in the bush/fringe country etc? What about wallabies hares and rabbits? How accurate is this calibre for a 150-250m varmint shot?

At the moment I don't have a rifle in between my 223 and 280 for bush type hunting, as I have sold one 308 and given the other to my sister. And another rifle we are looking at buying Dad has already claimed as his own even though its left hand...so I won't get to use it either!

Interested to hear some input guys.

Thanks in advance. Josh.
    They just came out with 300 "Ripout".. shit looks deadly, Can be used in anything that uses 300BLK Check this vid out of ballistic test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2cOnJYgs8A
    carlhurley likes this.
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

Dpms gen ii.basically an AR platform but shoots 308.

I'm looking at the new dpms gen2 for my 1st AR they have been getting good reviews.
    Wildman likes this.