Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tasbay
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: .303 Martini-Henry Carbine

.303 Martini-Henry Carbine

Was looking at a .303 Martini-Henry Carbine. It is the stock standard Military carbine but has no out of service stamps and nothing at all engraved on the left or right breach/action plates where you would usually find the Crown , MK and date stamps.. Has Nitro Proofed stamped on the barrel and a few stamps that are unreadable. Any info from this poor description appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Was looking at a .303 Martini-Henry Carbine. It is the stock standard Military carbine but has no out of service stamps and nothing at all engraved on the left or right breach/action plates where you would usually find the Crown , MK and date stamps.. Has Nitro Proofed stamped on the barrel and a few stamps that are unreadable. Any info from this poor description appreciated.
    There should be a stamp on the front of the reciever with a broard arrow, NZ and a date. Mine is 98. Mine also hs markings on both sides.1881 (very faint) on the right side and Enfield 1896 ME 303 I on the other. Mine had been butchered and the barrel was shot so it is now a .30-40 with a heavy barrel.
    GPM.
    And yes it has been out in the bush.

Mmmm....
    Saw a picture years ago of I think Nick Harvey's mates in a aussie sporting shooter mag with a Rusa.
    In front of him was one of these with a stag head carved in the stock.
    Always had an inkling that one would be quite cool but never had any even come close to falling in my lap.
    In fact dont recall ever handling one but will be fair I have t tied very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    There should be a stamp on the front of the reciever with a broard arrow, NZ and a date. Mine is 98. Mine also hs markings on both sides.1881 (very faint) on the right side and Enfield 1896 ME 303 I on the other. Mine had been butchered and the barrel was shot so it is now a .30-40 with a heavy barrel.
    GPM.
    And yes it has been out in the bush.
    Grandpamack, No Broard arrows and no Date on either side or the V1 or whatever. I have in my possession A couple of Martini`s one in 450/577 and a .303 Carbine with Broard arrow marks. The .303 has the usual 1881 & 1896 (from memory) denoting when it was made in 450/577 and then the referb to .303 on the other side. This one I was asking about has nothing except a few proof marks that I cannot distinguish and the Nitro Proofed, that's it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Photos would help, could be a citadel action, they linished off the original markings and restamped their own but there are other possibilities.
    Micky Duck likes this.

After some Web study it`s an Enfield , Birmingham Proofed Commercial Martini-Henry .303 Carbine. One I found on Web has exact same markings. Thanks guys.