Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 2 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By Lauries Hut
  • 1 Post By Southcity
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 9 Post By hotsoup

Thread: Swarovski

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Swarovski

For those that are using the Z5 6 8
    Are they a reliable dialing scope, they are lighter then the PM 2 and comparable N/F
    I find the Swarovski website quite uninformative
    How would you guys that have them and shoot long, rate them
    Or are they more of a Hunting type point and shoot scope
    Thanks.
    hotsoup likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Have got Z5 3.5-18x42 and Z3 3-12x50 and really rare them. Can’t comment on Z6!or 8. Both moa dial up after market turrets and both 4W reticles. They are on light weight hunting rifles (284 and 280ai). Part of reason for choosing the Swaro was weight savings compared to other options. I did not want big heavy scopes. The other plus for me is optical clarity and quality, very good low light performance. Dial up - all Swaro I’ve owned don’t dial true moa- more like 0.975in instead of 1.05in per moa. Not really an issue, they dial consistently and repeatably, you just need to calibrate the dial up and adjust your drop chart accordingly. I’ve read other reports that they are not as robust as Nf and other heavier scopes. Never had a problem myself but I am pretty careful with my gear.
    jakewire likes this.

I have Z5's on both my riffles (7mm rem mag and 223).
    I like them and they dial fine with good clear glass.

I did have the turrets fall off one but Swarovski did fix it and sent a cap and 3 magazines so good service (stood by their product).

I find they are good for what I use them for Rem Mag out to 500 meters, I wont shoot out past that.
    jakewire and Moa Hunter like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Ive got a z5 3.5-18 on my wallaby Tikka and its been dialled many hundreds of times and it performs flawlessly. No problem dialing quite often each trip for 350-ish yards. Im neither gentle or rough with it and it is standing up really well.
    jakewire and CBH Australia like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I’ve got a 5 & 6.
    Don’t dial with either I have the BRH recticle on the Z6, all I can say is I’ve never had such an easy scope to zero. When you crank it 2 cm it’s 2 cm.
    Holds zero very well, I think I’ve made one small adjustment once, in 7 or 8 years.
    I have the SR rail, which I thinks a big part of it. My rifle bounced off the back of the quad at 20 odd kph, checked zero; mint.
    Had the odd fall & tumble as you do, always good.

The Z5 I bought recently; and intend to dial. I will probably get a MOA turret, but not 100% sure yet. Interested to know what most prefer, and why?
    I’m sure there must be a previous thread on here on MOA verses Custom ballistic turret, if someone wouldn’t mind posting a link.

I don’t think you’ll find anything much better. Certainly a few on par.
    jakewire and Moa Hunter like this.

Thanks
    That's what I'm thinking
    Looking for less weight then the N/F and PM11 and dare I say one rifle [ in those 2-20 type applications]
    It's getting damn difficult to decide what to do.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Thanks
    That's what I'm thinking
    Looking for less weight then the N/F and PM11 and dare I say one rifle [ in those 2-20 type applications]
    It's getting damn difficult to decide what to do.
    Nightforce
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I've had Z3,5 and now have a Z8 and that is next level good.
    Never had an issue with dial on any but i did find the eye relief on the Z5 a bit fussy.
    The Z8 is better in every way although a bit big being a 56mm and heavier than the Z5.
    I love the lockable and removable turret and it dials accurate for me, although I've only tried it to 500 so far.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I have 5 x Z5’s with BT, 1 x Z6 BT and 2 x Z3’s ( 1 with BT). I have added the Zniki turret rings on most as I prefer numbers than colours. I also have Kahles, March, Lightforce, S&B and all nice scopes. My go to is the Z5 Swaro. 44 mm objective, 1” tube. Elegant and bullet proof - literally.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have got Z5 3.5-18x42 and Z3 3-12x50 and really rare them. Can’t comment on Z6!or 8. Both moa dial up after market turrets and both 4W reticles. They are on light weight hunting rifles (284 and 280ai). Part of reason for choosing the Swaro was weight savings compared to other options. I did not want big heavy scopes. The other plus for me is optical clarity and quality, very good low light performance. Dial up - all Swaro I’ve owned don’t dial true moa- more like 0.975in instead of 1.05in per moa. Not really an issue, they dial consistently and repeatably, you just need to calibrate the dial up and adjust your drop chart accordingly. I’ve read other reports that they are not as robust as Nf and other heavier scopes. Never had a problem myself but I am pretty careful with my gear.
    Agree with all these comments, same experience as myself.

I also run a 5-25 Z5 on a lightweight 6BR varmint rig. Absolutely ideal.

I once watched a deer at last light i could see through a Z5 but not the PM II .
    That mate has since traded his swaro for a leupold VX5 after the turret fell of and was replaced about three times.
    If you really dont want the ballistic turret to fall off, get a S&B or NF and carry the weight.
    Or else dont be a snob and go for a VX5.

@Bagheera
    I have the aforementioned S&B and a couple of N/F
    Just looking for opinions , which I'm getting (thanks to all) on the Swaro
    Cheers.
    Bagheera likes this.

Being that you are used to quality scopes go straight to the Z8

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I own a Z6 2,5-15x44 on a 7mm saum and a Z6 3-18x50 on my 300PRC. Both scopes have the NZ made custom scope turrets. Fantastic scopes, great balance of light weight, extremely high end clarity, durability. Max I can dial up to is about 850m. Have no issues dialing, quick and easy.

Brilliant scopes, highly recommend

Edit; all my hunts are backpack multi day trips, never had an issue with turrets breaking or getting damaged @jakewire

Name:  20220606_144103.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  3.05 MB
    Name:  20210728_115257.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  2.77 MB
    Last edited by hotsoup; 21-08-2022 at 09:10 AM.