Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By NO4

Thread: 303B, Churchill Sporter but what model?

303B, Churchill Sporter but what model?

Hi Team, I have an old Churchill sporter 303B with not too many visible markings. Top of barrel has the faint text stating " Churchill (Gunmakers) Ltd 7 Berry Street London..." with ending txt I can't make out. The Proof Stamp is reasonably legible but not a lot else.

I'd be interested in what model it is, kind looks like a No. IV originally.

More pressing is the ugly screws running thru the wood in front of the metal wrist band and through the metal at the rear top of the trigger guard. I'd appreciate info on a. What these do and b. What they should be replaced with..and if anyone has originals available....

Had the old girl out at the range today shooting HXP primed brass with 37.5g AR2206H behind 174gn Greek pulled FMJs. 20 rounds of fun. A few taps to the front sight for windage correction and its looking like around 2MOA. Has a dark bore but around 60% rifling. Nice tight action and good headspace. Good fun as a club gun and maybe a few goats etc.

Name:  20230528_181105.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  1.95 MB
    Name:  20230528_181032.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  803.8 KB
    Name:  20230528_181010.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.68 MB
    Name:  20230528_180955.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  1.83 MB
    Name:  20230528_180924.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  20230528_161622.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  3.38 MB
    Name:  20230528_161459.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  3.16 MB
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

safety catch and apertures do indeed say one of the later models...being a refurb...post war jobbie it could well be a bitza....your screw issues will be easy sorted...bet @Wingman has the bits needed
    Jhon likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Well no luck with what @Wingman has unfortunately. Anyone else out there with bits?

Bump

NO4
    Like already mentioned its a post war refurb, Churchill got post war Enfield's and Mausers and sporterized them (sometimes from parts) Just like parker hale did, Does it have a five or ten shot mag? As for the missing screw they do come up on trade me every now and then. Churchill gun makers 7 bury street Sw1 London England was what is stamped on mine
    Last edited by NO4; 01-06-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    Hot Barrels and tight lines

5 shot mag. Do the screws have a particular name/designation? Like, what am I searching for?

Thks

NO4
    its called a trigger guard rear screw or lower wrist screw(4BA)The screw from the front barrel band on NO4's will fit or you could just simply re drill and tap to fit a more common size hex screw(if you don't mind loosing the originality)The other screw in the rear of the front wood is for keeping the wood from splaying under recoil,MK2 rifles were done like yours,MK1's still had the brass plate and pin, Does your action have a slot in the bolt head groove or is there a release catch behind the charger bridge, also is the trigger hung of the bottom metal or attached to the reciever?
    Last edited by NO4; 02-06-2023 at 09:58 PM.

There is a release catch. The trigger appears to be pinned in the top of the trigger guard

Name:  20230603_144613.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  20230603_144627.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.76 MB

NO4
    thanks for the extra pics @Jhon It's No4 MK1 action British made Fazakerly, BSA or Maltby. Is there any faint markings on the left hand side of the receiver or have they been completely scrubbed of

Quote Originally Posted by NO4 View Post
    thanks for the extra pics @Jhon It's No4 MK1 action British made Fazakerly, BSA or Maltby. Is there any faint markings on the left hand side of the receiver or have they been completely scrubbed of
    Scrubbed off. Thks for the info. Very useful. It dies also have tapped and threaded holes for a scope mount on the left side of the receiver. Something else to look for

Name:  20230603_214045.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  1.71 MB

NO4
    if it helps your rear sight is a fazakerley stamped singer sight and its missing the retaining pin,easy fix tho.You can get repo scope mounts there was one on here a while back i think. Happy to help if you havent guessed i have a fondness for NO.4's

Quote Originally Posted by NO4 View Post
    if it helps your rear sight is a fazakerley stamped singer sight and its missing the retaining pin,easy fix tho.You can get repo scope mounts there was one on here a while back i think. Happy to help if you havent guessed i have a fondness for NO.4's
    I have a.mate on here who shoots a No.4.Mk1 in original wood. With all its stamps. An accurate and lovely rifle to shoot. This Churchill was out on loan to a family member who didn't really look after so it came back to me but I am only now getting to shoot it. So far its reasonably promising..possibly give my mate a run for his money lol. We had guessed the Churchill was a No 4 but its a little different to his in the bolt release.

I'm not sure what you refer to re the retaining pin. Not doubting you are correct, just don't know what I'm looking at. Do you have one with pin present you could post a photo of? Does it matter that it is missing? Cheers

NO4
    Name:  no4 pin.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  89.9 KB
    that little pin,can be made from a bit of wire or small drill bit.
    Jhon likes this.

Okaay, I can do that. Thanks!