Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunter_Nick
  • 2 Post By Mathias

Thread: 6x45 magazine length

6x45 magazine length

Hey whats optimal? Or to put it another way, what actions are too short to get best results?

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hey whats optimal? Or to put it another way, what actions are too short to get best results?
    Im running a rem 700 with a detachable mag so I can shoot the 95gn targex, internal mag was too restrictive.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Ideally 62-65mm would be good if you want to stick VLD type into the case, otherwise 60mm. Sako Vixen & A1 a bit restrictive with mag box at 58.6mm, plus ejecting a live round at that length doesn't usually go well either.
    Rem 788 with a 223 mag? Could be a good formula.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Banned
    My mini mauser rifle uses stock 223 mag box

CZ 527 with @TARGEX 70grn,all goods
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Ideally 62-65mm would be good if you want to stick VLD type into the case, otherwise 60mm. Sako Vixen & A1 a bit restrictive with mag box at 58.6mm, plus ejecting a live round at that length doesn't usually go well either.
    Rem 788 with a 223 mag? Could be a good formula.

I have a 788 in hand in 222, barrel is a bit of an unknown but will shoot it to see what it does . . . but @Rwt has got me tempted with the Sako 75 short action that was orignally a 204. He's away hunting so asking what the mag length is . . . It's not a happening thing till he gets back! Anyone else know what the Sako 75 mag length is in 204?

Hmmm - got home and measured the 788. Mag length is 58.5 but the port is only 55.5ish so just more hmmmm

If I was to do it again, I'd either go Howa Mini with Jefferson bottom metal or Rem Model 7 & do a mag mod.
    A lot depends on your chosen bullet, I took a gamble on the 75gr Sierra HP working and built on a Sako L461. It works mint.
    IIRC the 75 mag is a bit longer at about 60mm.

75 in 223. 2.410 inches
    61.2mm
    Thanks to info from @7mmsaum in another post.

@Tentman a very good mate of mine built his first 6x45 on a 788, and it was a tackdriver. If you’re using 70-75gr pills it’ll be fine. 2219 is a great powder for that weight, and you won’t have compressed loads at the seating depths you’ll be running from that mag.

Having played with a couple of 6x45s and now a 1-8” .223, I’m sold on the .223. Carries velocity better and greater sectional density for bigger animals. But hey, don’t let me sway you-scratch that itch if you need to!

Cheers Hunter. Just finished a one on a howa mini - tight 7.5twist. Im shooting 2206H currently, but will test the 2219 too

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    @Tentman a very good mate of mine built his first 6x45 on a 788, and it was a tackdriver. If you’re using 70-75gr pills it’ll be fine. 2219 is a great powder for that weight, and you won’t have compressed loads at the seating depths you’ll be running from that mag.

Having played with a couple of 6x45s and now a 1-8” .223, I’m sold on the .223. Carries velocity better and greater sectional density for bigger animals. But hey, don’t let me sway you-scratch that itch if you need to!
    @Hunter_Nick that’s an interesting observation you have as I’m also the same way inclined but in fairness I havnt spent enough time with my 6x45 as I have with the .223 which I gave a soft spot for.

May I ask what projectile are you using in the .223?

Hi @Seventenths I’m using either the 80gr ELD-M or the 77gr TMK. Both are accurate and work well on game.
    Seventenths likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    @Hunter_Nick that’s an interesting observation you have as I’m also the same way inclined but in fairness I havnt spent enough time with my 6x45 as I have with the .223 which I gave a soft spot for.

May I ask what projectile are you using in the .223?
    There's certainly a lot more 75-80gr .224 projectiles available now to sustain that comment of @Hunter_Nick. The beauty of the 6x45 is to facilitate these weights in a short mini action magazine rifle, without the need to seat too deeply. Having said that, my above comment about building on a longer OAL mag still stands as the 85gr + weights can be driven pretty well with slower powders like CFE223.
    At end of the day it's all splitting hairs as they are both very effective sub 300m calibers.

Seventenths and Hunter_Nick like this.