Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 308 or 6.5x55

K95
    90% of people couldn't reliably shoot animals over 200m in a hunting situation so for someone who isn't reloading, using a rangefinder and a chart there is really no appreciable difference between any of the calibers in that general size.
    Dreamer, Dougie, on2it and 2 others like this.

Something to note if you do get into longer range shooting. The 6.5 isn't a poleaxing caliber past 350-400 meters and I'd happily shoot the 308 out to 7-800. I've had 3 308s 9ver the years none of them were big kickers . Recoil is a real bonus on all of the 6.5s very tame indeed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    BRADS, deer243 and Hunt4life like this.

Sold my m96 and went 308 for bush work and mid distance shooting. Won't fly as well as a x55 but I didn't buy a 30 Cal to fly well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    deer243 likes this.

If you are worried about the recoil of a .308 chuck a can on it, I have a DPT on mine and it made it a lot more pleasant on the shoulder and a hell of a difference on the ears. That said, either will do the job just fine. I've actually been tempted to get a 6.5x55 for a while, only thing holding me back is the lack of any decent aperture sights for the old Swedish rifles for a decent price, that and the AR was higher up the wishlist.

6.5 all the way.
    I still have 1000 ft lbs at 780y.
    never had much luck with my 308s

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    6.5 all the way.
    I still have 1000 ft lbs at 780y.
    never had much luck with my 308s

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Andys all shit his 6.5 is junk lol
    Pop Shot, andyanimal31 and BRADS like this.

Haha think I'll go 308 I'll that way heaps of different cartdridges bush pig capable etc ! Cheers boys!
    Also depending on my funds if I'm a bit short on cash there a brno 308 for sale on here and not to seem rude or talk behind the guy who's selling its back but would this be a good buy for the money or not?

northdude
    A m96 falls easy in that price range there's still good ones around

Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    Haha think I'll go 308 I'll that way heaps of different cartdridges bush pig capable etc ! Cheers boys!
    Also depending on my funds if I'm a bit short on cash there a brno 308 for sale on here and not to seem rude or talk behind the guy who's selling its back but would this be a good buy for the money or not?
    well you wouldn't go far wrong at that.....but test fire to make sure you can get group of less than say???? 2" with say factory federal bluebox 150grn. if you cant get it to try but have contact who can...just as good.
    those set triggers are a love em or hate em thyp thing...piece of piss to use either as std or set .

Why not both?

Never owned a .308, but those I've fired I haven't enjoyed... My 6.5x.284 on the other is an absolute delight, and performs like a champ

Thanks Micky duck yeah I'll try tee something up cause I'm just a tad worried about the slight pitting that was mentioned. I had a savage axis 308 and I'm not 100% but I'm bloody sure the axis is lighter than a tikka and the recoil wasn't to bad and I'm not a soild guy haha. I just a very unfortunate series of events where most my of fire arms had to be sold which a was a kick in the balls! BUT I'm back into it and want a good meat gathering rifle that'll last. As long as it shoots good at 100m and maybe 200/300 meter once in a blue moon. I'm happy so just wanna make sure I make a good decision if it drops the animal I'm happy! (Obviously with me doing my part right shot placement etc) I really appreciate your guys advice means heaps!
    Gur1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Why not both?
    like a woman I once knew...they go bang both ways just as well,one way you just have to push a bit harder than the other...LOL

I know of a bush pigged howa if your interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk