Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By steven
  • 2 Post By Feral
  • 2 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: .308 target rifle

.308 target rifle

Righto, so this popped up on trade me and the old man and I talked a bit of shit about restoring it a little and having a play with some longer range shooting. Anyone here able to shed a bit more light on the barrel and optics from their own knowledge / experience? Dad used to have a No 1 mk 3 Lee enfield with parker hale target sights and was AOS back in the day. I've got my dressed up M96 6.5 which I need to do a bit more shooting with so I figure we're gonna catch up on a bit of father - son time and go do some plinking before hitting the field...

Anyone got any insight?

Name:  329865160.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  32.2 KB

"7.62mm (.308) Fulton Regulated target rifle fitted with a 27.5" Ferlach heavy target barrel with an excellent bore. This rifle is fitted with a interchangeable element front sight and a Parker Hale 5B rear sight with an adjustable iris and a 6 hole multi coloured filter. The rifle has been built on a Winchester M17 action by the renowned Fulton's of Bisley."

Cheers, Feral (& Feral Snr)

Im pretty sure this is a pattern14 or 17 action or very similar because its running a PH5B sight. The sights are 1/2moa clicks so not really the best. Ive been pondering buying it just for the rear sights but its a bit too much.

A standard pattern 1914 is around 1 1/2 to 2 MOA this one might well be better but an Omark will be 3/4inch MOA and maybe even 1/2MOA so beat it dead. A decent omark is around $400, and can come with a PH5C which is 1/4inch moa clicks.

The M96 you mention should be 3/4Moa and a better wind cheater. I am looking for one at the moment to do the Din Collins shoot in December.

So I wouldnt buy it myself, except for spares.
    Feral likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Dad has finished dressing her up. Sanded stock to finish with ultra fine paper & Tru oil. Nikon 4-14 x 40 scope on S&K cantilevered base. Hand made leather sling. Nothing from the original setup has been permanently altered so the rifle can quickly be reverted to its original form using the PH target sights. Ammo experimentation to begin shortly, starting with Hornady 150 -160 Gn range. Now, just need the time to shoot...

Name:  P1080045.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  1,006.5 KB
    veitnamcam and steven like this.

try the 155gn SMK they shoot great
    Toby and Feral like this.