Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 5 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By Larrygoat

Thread: 30mm, 30 mil (100moa) min 4x scopes

30mm, 30 mil (100moa) min 4x scopes

Gidday Folks - Ive been perusing a bunch of scope specs for a scope for 22 long range. I want to stay with a 30mm tube. I need to be able to power down to 4x and focus at 25M (10M would be better). To get out to around 400m 25mils of elevation is needed and I'd like to dial that rather than using a reticle.

Glass doesnt have to be "alpha" quality but not complete crap either. Budget is $2K.

NF NXS's meet the spec except in terms of cost, Leupy Mk 4 also.

Apart from used versions of those model families the options seem pretty slim from my research. I did play with a Zerotech and it seemed to have about 100 moa despite the specs saying 80. One wonders are all those 100 usuable (will it track) and if uts common for scopes to understate the usable elevation??

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    What about the guy that advertises on here with the delta scopes, would he have something suitable
    https://deltaoptical.co.nz/
    dannyb likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Well bugger me, an option straight away, the Delta 4-24 ×50 fits the bill exactly. Homework now required
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I accept Diesel fuel coupons, Jameson's or RL26.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A 20moa rail and a set of Burris rings with inserts should allow you to use nearly all of the elevation available.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    A 20moa rail and a set of Burris rings with inserts should allow you to use nearly all of the elevation available.
    Already on that, but can only get a bit over 300 with my current 70moa scope.

@Tentman
    I have a very nice bushnell 3-12*44 mill mill scope. Lifetime warrenty. G2dmr reticle. Rainguard ffp.etc. 30mm tube. Solid reliable.
    Model #ET3124FG. $850 if you're interested. These are a highly rated scope but not zerostop. Has sunshade as well. If i recall correctly it has 20mrad elevation and windage adjustment range. Parallax 10-infinity.
    Last edited by Woody; 08-10-2022 at 08:51 PM.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Thanks Woody, they are indeed a very nice scope, but not enough adjustment to do what I want . . . Cheers

I went down this road, Super fun. I ended up with the Burris rings with inserts, a 20moa rail and a vortex strike eagle 3-18x44. That model strike eagle had 120moa of elevation, which with cci standard velocity got me to 500m. 30mm tube, but I think the focus only came down to 50m. At 400m clay targets in bull ruts were a good challenge, plenty of dust to see misses. 500m was bloody tricky, mainly to spot impacts in mirage, shoot earlier in the day this season.
    Bill999 likes this.

It's not uncommon to find scopes having more elevation than advertised.
    100moa/30Mil in a 30mm scope is more than you'd typically find, so your options will be limited if you stick with a 30mm tube, even many 34mm scopes don't have much more than that.
    If you get an FFP scope will a tree reticle you'll get another 10mil of elevation in the reticle, of course you can do this with SFP but you'll be limited to a single magnication setting.

If you were willing to go up to a 34mm tube the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 is a pretty good option, if you don't install the zero stop you'll get 110moa of elevation + 35moa in the reticle.