Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: A little suppressor H&S

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    I see Larskramer was asking about suppressor threads and it reminded me to post this up, this will be common knowledge to some but was a surprise to me & luckily it didn't end up in a disaster ( I've had a suppressor pop on me in the past and wasn't pleasant )

I own six Dpt's and have had a great run with all of em, so this is a "general suppresor thing" I'm not directing any anti towards their products.

One piece of advice l would say to people is with all the Can's l own being very similar in appearance, double check every time you go to fit or run different coluored tape on each one.

I can't post a vid at the mo for some fuktard reason ( & haven't used youtube for yonks) so here's a quick run down - Was at the range for a load development & sighting in session, multiple rifles and unknown to myself someone had picked up one on my cans ( I normally un-screw after a string of shot's to cool down, as ya do ) & my 22 ( 5/8 x 24 ) was next to the 6.5 cm rifle ( threaded 15 x 1 ) both look very similar and l wasn't paying full attention ( to busy talking az usual ) it rattled slightly but screwed on tight, fired a shot which surprisingly didn't hit the target, like wtf , then l realize my problem, luckily Dpt's are slightly over bored and a 6.5 will fit down the hole, no damage to suppressor, rifle or operator.

So just something to be weary of, to many this is probably common knowledge but I'm not an engineer, l am aware of over threading but funny how easily and tight it locked on, let's call this a "friendly Philipo advice" : )

Two rifles involved

Sako Black wolf 6.5 Creedmoor - threaded 15 x 1
    Tikka CTR 223 - 5/8 x 24

Name:  suppressor 7.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  888.4 KB

Name:  suppressor 8.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  394.7 KB
    Last edited by Philipo; 06-10-2022 at 04:44 PM.
    199p, gadgetman, Rich007 and 4 others like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Shit it’s quiet eh

Finally fixed it, was attempting to load a vid using poxy tappa talk but that turned to shit so have gone back to the trusty old laptop hubba hubba

I dont see a video

that could have been scary mate. I am 99% sure the supplied suppressor with this rifle is incorrect! need to find a 9/16x24 locally snd see if its a better thread!

Obviously the problem is too many rifles and suppressors
    NRT and NO4 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I was here with Phil when this happened, I'm pretty sure we had 4 dpt cans all with different threads go onto the one barrel with ease.
    Not something I've been able to replicate with Hardy cans.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Ah so it is a dig at dpt
    Moa Hunter, mawzer308 and Shamus_ like this.

Not necessarily. As a fitter/turner, I can quite imagine something like 5/8-24 going on something like a 15×1mm.
    It is very close to pitch and bigger and being only maybe 20mm long you dont have the full 25mm of thread to pick ot up.
    WTF comes up with these stupid thread pitches?
    If it was 9/16 or 14 then the 5/8 or 16 is too big or too small. PITA
    I thought old threads like BSF and now the lee enfield pitches were annoying
    Philipo, gadgetman and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I dont see a video
    Very observant Grasshopper, No after an hour mucking around getting things sorted I couldn't get my masterpiece to load, so it's old school still pics just like a stick mag ( do those things still exist ? )
    Huk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ah so it is a dig at dpt
    Dunc has his own opinions hahahahahaha
    Gibo likes this.

@Philipo. Out of curiosity, what were the threads of all the suppressors you had out today?

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    I see Larskramer was asking about suppressor threads and it reminded me to post this up, this will be common knowledge to some but was a surprise to me & luckily it didn't end up in a disaster ( I've had a suppressor pop on me in the past and wasn't pleasant )

I own six Dpt's and have had a great run with all of em, so this is a "general suppresor thing" I'm not directing any anti towards their products.

One piece of advice l would say to people is with all the Can's l own being very similar in appearance, double check every time you go to fit or run different coluored tape on each one.

I can't post a vid at the mo for some fuktard reason ( & haven't used youtube for yonks) so here's a quick run down - Was at the range for a load development & sighting in session, multiple rifles and unknown to myself someone had picked up one on my cans ( I normally un-screw after a string of shot's to cool down, as ya do ) & my 22 ( 5/8 x 24 ) was next to the 6.5 cm rifle ( threaded 15 x 1 ) both look very similar and l wasn't paying full attention ( to busy talking az usual ) it rattled slightly but screwed on tight, fired a shot which surprisingly didn't hit the target, like wtf , then l realize my problem, luckily Dpt's are slightly over bored and a 6.5 will fit down the hole, no damage to suppressor, rifle or operator.

So just something to be weary of, to many this is probably common knowledge but I'm not an engineer, l am aware of over threading but funny how easily and tight it locked on, let's call this a "friendly Philipo advice" : )

Two rifles involved

Sako Black wolf 6.5 Creedmoor - threaded 15 x 1
    Tikka CTR 223 - 5/8 x 24

Attachment 207497

Attachment 207498
    Unfortunately this does happen with those two threads, a 5/8-24 does screw over a 15x1 rifle thread, it will feel tight by hand but will only have 0.2mm thread engagement, the mismatch in thread pitch allows the suppressor to feel like its pulling up tight.

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I was here with Phil when this happened, I'm pretty sure we had 4 dpt cans all with different threads go onto the one barrel with ease.
    Not something I've been able to replicate with Hardy cans.

This is a first for me. What were the four different threads?

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    This is a first for me. What were the four different threads?
    Sorry I can't remember they were all Phil's cans.