Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 5 Post By caberslash
  • 1 Post By nigelp
  • 1 Post By gqhoon
  • 5 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 1 Post By c-dog
  • 1 Post By distant stalker
  • 6 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By gqhoon

Thread: 6mm creedmoor criterion pre fit issues

6mm creedmoor criterion pre fit issues

hi

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with these ?

i have a rem 660 which i got a gunsmith to fit one of these barrels (was second hand) but looked to be in near new condition. the rem 700 action it was removed from had apparently fired the factory ammo used below.

first issue went to fire some factory ammo and wouldn't even chamber (hard in the lands with a short throat) seemed odd as had been fitted up by gunsmith and one would assume they would check rifle is sammi spec, i had offered to leave brass, projectiles etc with him but he said it wasn't necessary. So after taking back to smith he puts a throat reamer up so it will now chamber Sammi ammo (and charged extra for the work), but this brings on another issue.

Next issue, apparently it has a tight neck and im likely going to have to neck turn my brass (nosler) hornady brass will be ok as thinner apparently. anyone had any pressure issues using nosler brass in these barrels?

these barrels seem to have a good rep so seems odd they wouldn't chamber factory ammo and have a tight neck. Is there something the smith may have cocked up or am i unlucky?

Suspect this 'gunsmith' isn't very good...
    Bill999, 6x47, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

I got a new hardy setup and there are 2 different 6mm creedmoor reamers you can get. I went with the tighter one and it didn't chamber factory hornady. It was the length of the freebore from memory that was the issue. I kept the link somewhere to use for reference and will try and find it
    Moa Hunter likes this.

My thoughts are that pre fit barrels for anything other than rifles that have heads pacing with nuts (and still need doing anyway) need a final reamer to suit.
    Maybe it was a but tight headspace wise like a short chamber

Very unlucky to have both a tight neck and short throat in a ‘SAAMI’ chamber.

Consider running a neck reamer up it to get the neck clearance you need for the brass you intend to use. Seat a projectile in a piece of Nosler brass and measure the case neck diameter. Add a minimum of 0.004” and that’s the chamber neck diameter you need.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Hey C-dog. Do you maybe wanna send the barreled action my way? Ive got two different 6creed reamers as well as neck and also free bore/throught reamers.

Gonna cost you some as Im a gunsmith and dealer.

Ive build several 6CMs that shoots really well and I'm a Criterion supporter.

Pm me if interested.

Jaco, do you have the means to take a chamber casting at all? Either CerroSafe or Sulpher / Graphite? And then measure the casting to confirm chamber dimensions?

Cheers for the replys, I'm a bit annoyed with the gunsmith as he made another mistake on the same project,i think he needs to measure before he cuts, As it ends up costing customers more money.

Yes it was a pre fit barrel with the nut to adjust headspace so a fairly simple job one would think, he headspaced with 6.5 gauges which I see no issue with.
    @Jaco Goosen thanks for the offer, I will take a couple of measurements on the brass first and let you know. But I do have another project in mind so would like to have a chat. I'll send ya a pm.
    Micky Duck likes this.

You offered to provide case and projectile for reaming job, I'd consider all the work following that to be rectification of original request and no further charge, sounds like they are learning on the job
    6x47 likes this.

I sadly learnt the hard way there are "gunsmith"s "it will be all good no worries bro" and then there are proper ones who do good work and stand behind it.
    There are fewer of the latter and way more of former
    camo wsm, 6x47, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    Cheers for the replys, I'm a bit annoyed with the gunsmith as he made another mistake on the same project,i think he needs to measure before he cuts, As it ends up costing customers more money.

Yes it was a pre fit barrel with the nut to adjust headspace so a fairly simple job one would think, he headspaced with 6.5 gauges which I see no issue with.
    @Jaco Goosen thanks for the offer, I will take a couple of measurements on the brass first and let you know. But I do have another project in mind so would like to have a chat. I'll send ya a pm.
    Headspace is headspace. Nothing to do with freebore dimension to suit a given projectile or neck diameter for
    Particular brass type....but these should comply with SAAMI nonetheless.
    feratox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Headspace is headspace. Nothing to do with freebore dimension to suit a given projectile or neck diameter for
    Particular brass type....but these should comply with SAAMI nonetheless.
    Yes you are correct, i wish I had of purchase the go/nogo gauges vice and fit it myself, I would have found the issue fairly quickly and sent barrel off to be reamed. He could have done some basic checks before returning a rifle to a customer which was potentially unsafe, ie factory ammo jammed hard into lands could have caused excessive pressure. Anyway hopefully it shoots alright when nice can pick it up.

Yup. I'll be able to do a casting.