Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: A little suppressor H&S

That’s one of the reasons I won’t cut a muzzle thread without the actual can. Whilst a thread might have a nominal size, 1/2 x 20 or whatever I find variations from tight to loose between the manufacturers. I single point screw cut on the lathe to be a nice firm fit, indicated off of the bore

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    @Philipo. Out of curiosity, what were the threads of all the suppressors you had out today?
    Hey mate, of the six ( even though theres only five in that pic )

Two = 15 x 1
    Three = 5/8 x 24
    & one = 1/2 x 20

So I'm very 5/8's heavy, that might be where Brads got his numbers from but seems like all fisherman he might have over exaggerated things abit or he was just taking the piss lol, I can't recall what the go was.

Plus I did have five centrefires out that arvo, all wearing DPT's so there were plenty of cans available.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Hey mate, of the six ( even though theres only five in that pic )

Two = 15 x 1
    Three = 5/8 x 24
    & one = 1/2 x 20

So I'm very 5/8's heavy, that might be where Brads got his numbers from but seems like all fisherman he might have over exaggerated things abit or he was just taking the piss lol, I can't recall what the go was.

Plus I did have five centrefires out that arvo, all wearing DPT's so there were plenty of cans available.
    Hey Philipo,

What mismatch threads did you have screw onto what rifle thread? Was it just the 5/8-24 suppressors threading onto the 15x1 barrel?

DPT
    I would like to clear this up.

There is about 10 common threads we deal with (and a few more uncommon). Out of those there is two combinations that can incorrectly screw together, a 5/8-24 suppressor can screw onto a 15x1 muzzle thread (as what has happened in this post) and a 15x1 suppressor can screw onto a 9/16-24 muzzle thread. Besides enlarging the minor thread diameter of the suppressor (making an out of spec thread) there is nothing we can do to stop this from happening. Its sort of like someone loading a 7mm08 round into a 308, or a 270 round into a 30-06, it will fit and fire.

I always take pride in the tight tolerances we keep on our suppressor threads, I run the cnc lathes that produces all of our suppressor parts. The internal suppressor thread is kept 0.01mm +/- 0.005mm over thread spec, we allow 0.01mm over size so the suppressors are not too tight on a rifle that has the muzzle thread exactly to spec. I would reject any part that comes off the machine that doesn’t meet our stringent quality control.
    NRT, Barefoot, gadgetman and 13 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    I would like to clear this up.

There is about 10 common threads we deal with (and a few more uncommon). Out of those there is two combinations that can incorrectly screw together, a 5/8-24 suppressor can screw onto a 15x1 muzzle thread (as what has happened in this post) and a 15x1 suppressor can screw onto a 9/16-24 muzzle thread. Besides enlarging the minor thread diameter of the suppressor (making an out of spec thread) there is nothing we can do to stop this from happening. Its sort of like someone loading a 7mm08 round into a 308, or a 270 round into a 30-06, it will fit and fire.

I always take pride in the tight tolerances we keep on our suppressor threads, I run the cnc lathes that produces all of our suppressor parts. The internal suppressor thread is kept 0.01mm +/- 0.005mm over thread spec, we allow 0.01mm over size so the suppressors are not too tight on a rifle that has the muzzle thread exactly to spec. I would reject any part that comes off the machine that doesn’t meet our stringent quality control.
    Well said, there are of course a couple of other issues beyond the control of a suppressor manufacturer. That being people using old suppressors where the thread has been worn and is a loose fit. The other issue being the standard of the thread cut on the muzzle. I have have seen many barrels where the threads have been very poorly cut

Name:  B5B1776B-B5CE-4CD3-9803-A0CE2992D260.jpeg
Views: 270
Size:  508.3 KB

My DPT threads on backwards
    Philipo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    Attachment 207519

My DPT threads on backwards
    LBTGT model

Phil, you half baked moron. It’s your fault. We can’t get rid of you, you’re like a useless huntaway that’s barks all day behind the motorbike……��
    Mathias likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Poor little Philipo, seems he's just fodder for ridicule aye

Couple of points

- This was a genuine post, I was not ( unlike some posters ) taking the piss
    - Good on the crew from DPT for fronting up & answering the question
    - Out of the 9 suppressors I currently own ( centerfire & rimmers ) 8 are DPT's so as I said in the start of the thread nothing against the brand, I'm basing on what I'm using & have on hand so they bare the brunt.
    - Yes I realize once you sell something, even with the best safety features - Instructions, nothing is idiot proof

Lastly - My intention with this topic was to make people aware of this actually being a thing that could happen, I don't give a fuk about which brand / make of suppressor, I'm more worried about some poor bugger getting this wrong & not realising that over threading is a proper concern.

I'm just happy I hadn't screwed it onto the 300wm I had sitting there, could have been a proper cluster.

At the end of the day life is all about timing n consequences
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Poor little Philipo, seems he's just fodder for ridicule aye

Couple of points

- This was a genuine post, I was not ( unlike some posters ) taking the piss
    - Good on the crew from DPT for fronting up & answering the question
    - Out of the 9 suppressors I currently own ( centerfire & rimmers ) 8 are DPT's so as I said in the start of the thread nothing against the brand, I'm basing on what I'm using & have on hand so they bare the brunt.
    - Yes I realize once you sell something, even with the best safety features - Instructions, nothing is idiot proof

Lastly - My intention with this topic was to make people aware of this actually being a thing that could happen, I don't give a fuk about which brand / make of suppressor, I'm more worried about some poor bugger getting this wrong & not realising that over threading is a proper concern.

I'm just happy I hadn't screwed it onto the 300wm I had sitting there, could have been a proper cluster.

At the end of the day life is all about timing n consequences
    I've collected a pile of Gunworks suppressors. I put a label on each to say which rifle it goes with. I do have one set to go on two rifles. Good on you for posting this, we only get one crack at life.
    csmiffy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I see Larskramer was asking about suppressor threads and it reminded me to post this up, this will be common knowledge to some but was a surprise to me & luckily it didn't end up in a disaster ( I've had a suppressor pop on me in the past and wasn't pleasant )

I own six Dpt's and have had a great run with all of em, so this is a "general suppresor thing" I'm not directing any anti towards their products.

One piece of advice l would say to people is with all the Can's l own being very similar in appearance, double check every time you go to fit or run different coluored tape on each one.

I can't post a vid at the mo for some fuktard reason ( & haven't used youtube for yonks) so here's a quick run down - Was at the range for a load development & sighting in session, multiple rifles and unknown to myself someone had picked up one on my cans ( I normally un-screw after a string of shot's to cool down, as ya do ) & my 22 ( 5/8 x 24 ) was next to the 6.5 cm rifle ( threaded 15 x 1 ) both look very similar and l wasn't paying full attention ( to busy talking az usual ) it rattled slightly but screwed on tight, fired a shot which surprisingly didn't hit the target, like wtf , then l realize my problem, luckily Dpt's are slightly over bored and a 6.5 will fit down the hole, no damage to suppressor, rifle or operator.

So just something to be weary of, to many this is probably common knowledge but I'm not an engineer, l am aware of over threading but funny how easily and tight it locked on, let's call this a "friendly Philipo advice" : )

Two rifles involved

Sako Black wolf 6.5 Creedmoor - threaded 15 x 1
    Tikka CTR 223 - 5/8 x 24

Attachment 207497

Attachment 207498
    Thanks for the post @Philipo I found it informative as you intended I have been wondering about this very topic having a barrel with 14x1 thread and another 5/8 x 24, wondering how close they were.

Also thanks to @DPT for an engineers for giving a professional report
    Philipo, gadgetman and erniec like this.