Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 4 Post By Jhon

Thread: 38-55, Anyone got one, shooting one in Taranaki?

38-55, Anyone got one, shooting one in Taranaki?

Hi, I'd be keen to talk to someone with a 38-55, see one in the flesh, talk reloading, maybe even shoot one ( happy to cover costs). Preference is smokeless but BP better than nothing.

I'm looking at buying in April. Thinking about single shot vs a lever action. But also keen to just check the calibre out before I drop the dollars. I'm based in NP, happy to drive a couple of hours.

Cheers
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

In my experience it's not so great with BP, fouling quickly eradicates accuracy.
    I load 22 grains of 4277 behind a 255 gr flat base bullet for 1460 fps in a 29.5 inch barreled converted martini Enfield. Accuracy is 1 inch at 50 yards with the tangent sights. What are you considering?, I toyed with the idea of a lever action before I brought this.
    Single shots are growing on me, but unlike akaroa I seem to prefer martini actions over rollers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have a soft spot for levers but already have several in Pistol Calibre up to 30-30 and 308. SS is probably my leaning at the moment. Target would be a primary interest but also hunting - and getting out past 150-200m so kind of precludes LA.

Black powder gets my respiratory system bad - ex smoker unfortunately. So I avoid it as much fun as it might be.

So probably a Uberti SS. Still learning about high wall/ low wall. Have no particular experience to prefer falling/rolling block vs Martini other than I have Martini in 22LR and 32-20 (BSA Cadet Action)

OK, no one coming out of the woodwork in Taranaki. I'm heading Auckland way in March, weekend before Easter for the Waiuku IPSC Double Tap. Can do a meet on the way there or back - so Waikato, Auckland area. Must be an ardent 38-55 owner somewhere along that path, surely. Beer on me....

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    In my experience it's not so great with BP, fouling quickly eradicates accuracy.
    I load 22 grains of 4277 behind a 255 gr flat base bullet for 1460 fps in a 29.5 inch barreled converted martini Enfield. Accuracy is 1 inch at 50 yards with the tangent sights. What are you considering?, I toyed with the idea of a lever action before I brought this.
    Single shots are growing on me, but unlike akaroa I seem to prefer martini actions over rollers.
    So in other words you need to learn to control fouling
    It’s fantastic if you do things right i shoot a 38-50 ( more powder same bullet = more fouling)
    A good bullet that holds plenty of lubricant a good black powder lubricant is essential powder coated bullets just do not work with multiple shots for bp

And ether wipeout between shots or blow tube
    Wipeout between shots is definitely the best option for accuracy (for any calibre when shooting bp)
    The blow tube is a better than nothing type scenario)

But I can get 10 shots holding a pretty decent degree of accuracy at 900y for a 38 shooting 50gn of 1.5F holy smoke) with the blow tube
    It’s a pretty tiny bullet for that distance

you have to remember that akaroa1’s opinion on martini’s is based solely on the fact they aren’t good to carry as a hunting rifle (I tend to agree with that) I have a full blown target rifle in 45-70 a factory sporter in 450 no 1BPE and my dad has a mill surp 577-450
    So i do have a fair amount of familiarity with martini’s but
    I wouldn’t like them for hunting (give me a roller,1885 etc any day as a hunting rifle something with an exposed hammer)
    All my target rifles are rolling blocks aside from the martini 45-70 above the roller is by far the superior action TBH

Not disputing anything you said, just wondering why Military in WWII went for Martini in the 303B? They did correct? Or was that WWI?
    I wasn't there to see fortunately

Boer war, lots of martinis around cheaper to rebarrel and change a few other bits than make new. Also troops would be familiar with rifle drill for it. In ww1 I know the french used rolling blocks in 8 mm lebel but they were desperate for anything that went bang. The Russians used Winchester 96s in 7.62x54r for pretty much the same reason.
    Jhon likes this.

Martini’s in .303 were used earlier I believe to supplement the Metford Lee Enfields’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Not disputing anything you said, just wondering why Military in WWII went for Martini in the 303B? They did correct? Or was that WWI?
    I wasn't there to see fortunately
    Cheaper option for home guard you don’t want all your flash bolt action rifles being tied up at home you want them on the front lines
    Jhon likes this.

So back to the topic, with some offline input guiding my thoughts a little, I put some $$ down on a Uberti 1885 High Wall Single Shot Sporting Rifle Octagonal barrel 30" .38-55.

Guess I'll be out in the paddock having fun pretty much on my own lol...