Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Which 4 guns do I need in NZ?

Which 4 guns do I need in NZ?

Hey all. I'm more of a fisherman but I do like me some hunting and good/natural meat in the freezer. My family and I are planning a move to NZ in about a year and I've already gotten some good advice to start the application for a NZ Firearms license now. However, I feel it's a good idea to get my necessary guns in order so I don't have to buy them there, correct?
    I'm planning to bring a 7mm, 308, .22 and shotgun...all guns pretty much just shooters, nothing fancy.
    7mm is a Tikka
    Ruger 10/22
    12ga 870
    I haven't bought the 308 but it will be a Tikka SS that I would hope to have a suppressor installed on when I get there. It would be my main hunting gun as per the size of game there and the cost of ammo and such.
    I'm selling a .30-06 and a 45.
    Am I on the right track?
    Should I consider something smaller or a second 308 for the wife/kids (7 and 9)??
    Buy a better .22?

I'm open to all input. Thank you.

You don't need a 7mm and a .308. Your .30/06 would be excellent as your main hunting rifle, but any standard cartridge in the 7mm to .30/06 range is perfectly adequate. If you did need another calibre then I would suggest .223 which is excellent for goats, wallabies, and fallow deer, as well as long-range rabbits. It is also an effective low-recoil choice for your wife and kids. My main hunting rifle is .30/06 but I use my .223 Tikka CTR more often for goats and rabbits.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Sage advice gundoc.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Greetings @Joe Schmo,
    I think in the US 7mm usually means a 7mm Rem Mag where in NZ we would think 7mm-08. If the former is the case the .308 makes more sense. I would strongly suggest that a .223 be shoe horned into the gun safe as it will get used more than any of the others. You will struggle to get it away from your wife and kids who will love it. Just make sure it has a fast twist barrel 1 in 8" preferred. This makes it a much more flexible rifle and still shoots the 55 grains just as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    dannyb likes this.

Anything 7mm is hard to get ammo for over here right at this time so the 308 will be a better bet, if you don't want a .223 get a 22-250 instead

As above. Either 3006 or 308, doesn’t make much difference. Plus 223, 22, shotty . Over the years have shot a representative animal of each game animal in NZ with 308 and nearly there with 223.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

definitely add a .223 to that list
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

MB
    - Rimfire - my preference is something setup for suppressed, subsonic 22LR; silent and deadly, great for smaller properties where noise is an issue
    - Shotgun - 12G will cover birds, small game and even larger animals under the right circumstances
    - Centrefire - .308 or similar will cover everything (7mm08 is great too, ammunition shortages may be an issue, but will probably sort itself out, so I'd stick with it)

+ a lot of people see the need for a smaller centrefire calibre, personally, I don't (my hunting opportunities are limited), but .223 would be the way to go.

EDIT: I do actually have a smaller calibre centrefire, but it's main purpose is a very short, handy bush gun. Bush where I live is better described as jungle. A normal length rifle is not usable.
    Last edited by MB; 17-08-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks a bunch!!
    Correct, 7mm Rem Mag is what I have...it's a Tikka with a 4-16 Nikon Scope that I really like. The .30-06 is just fine but I like the 7mm better so that's the one I'd be planning on bringing...I have ammo and I don't shoot it that much at all.
    The 308 v 223 debate is the main issue I'm now dealing with because the smaller centerfire gun I choose will be the one I'll be doing the most shooting with because you guys SHOOT EVERYTHING!!!
    I'm leaning towards .223 from .308 after all your comments. As long as .223 is an acceptable round there for most game...that would be my only concern as the .308 can deliver a heck of a lot more grains/energy.

Try pick up a 1:8 twist Tikka T3 22.250, or one of the other brands as can't get them in fast twist in NZ. Better than a 223 for hunting and negligble recoil for kids.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I run a 22, a 223, 308 and a 12ga. And along with a .177 springer I have all my bases cover for NZ hunting.
    kruza likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

if I had to pick only one and the choice was 223 or 308 it would be 308 every time, way more versatile
    again hypothetical "if" I had to choose "only one".
    #DANNYCENT

Where in nz?
    North or South Island hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm Rem mag, 223, 22 and shot gun
    7mmsaum and Dama dama like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Where in nz?
    North or South Island hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. Not much point keeping the rem mag if your going to be crashing around in kaimai supple Jack 90% of the time
    Bill999, superdiver and MB like this.