Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Which 4 guns do I need in NZ?

I haven't shot a factory load in 35 years.
    Shoot whatever floats your boat - and 6.5 is awesome for NZ.
    There isn't much here that cannot be done by a 120 -160 grain bullet at somewhere between 2600 and 3000 fps
    jakewire, HUNTY, Shearer and 1 others like this.

I have a CZ 457 .22, Howa mini 6.5 Grendel, CZ 550 .270 Win. I would complete that with a 12ga anything really. The .22 is a great choice for family wanting to start shooting, Grendel is just a .223 that went to the gym for a bit, but can cover 90+% of most hunting duties. A .308 will do 95%, but I went .270 for extended range, 7-08 much the same, after that you are more of an assassin than a hunter. I don't shoot anything currently with a shotgun, but since this is a 4 gun recommendation, a trusty 12gauge would finish off my list.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Another caliber with a fairly mild recoil is the 7.62x39 in a bolt action.Ok its not amongst the flash harry topshelf stuff but ammo is easily got and used sensibly it will take deer etc inside 200yds.consulting my assorted texts ammo characteristics are not dissimilar to the immortal .303 . recoil(in case of wife and kids)is mild .me i run .303 ,7.62x39 and its bubba sister .223 .22s and assorted 12guages .predominantly duckshooter so my 12g is my longstanding companion of choice.
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

.308, .22 Hornet, .22 LR, 12 gauge. Sorted.

When I moved to NZ in 2016 from UK I put my rifles and shotguns in my shipping container with the rest of my belongings. Shipping company was cool with it and firearms officer said it was OK. Customs removed them on arrival in Nelson and I collected them from the firearms officer a few weeks later. Easy as, but I’m sure no longer possible, so probably better to sell and buy new here.

To answer the question:

.284 Win for all big critters.
    7 RM for all big critters further away.
    ..22LR for small critters
    Shotgun for birds and small critters.

.22LR great for small humans to shoot
    20 bore shotgun same.

That said, I had to fill the gaps with a .270 and a .300 WM, just in case. Prolly need a .223 too.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Looking at ammo availability which would be my first consideration these days, .308, .223, .22, 12g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Tim, mudgripz and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Update for what the heck...
    I've communicated with NZ Firearms licensing personnel and come to the conclusion that (if'n we move there in 2023) I won't be a legal firearm owner until 2026 or 2027
    I've bought a T3x 223 ad ordered a T3x 308 for use in 2027.
    I had an idea, in America we don't even count muzzleloaders as "guns" so I checked NZ laws...turns out NZ counts em as real guns so there goes my master plan to just hunt with a muzzy for 3 years
    So I'd like to officially request donations of wild game meat until 2027 because I will be turning vegetarian...aka hunting with a bow and arrow

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    I will be turning vegetarian...aka hunting with a bow and arrow

You won't starve if you can fish.

Hey there is a great alternative to the vegetarian thing - go hunting with other guys- he who carries the meat eats the meat! And you can shoot to, you just don't get to put the rifle in your own cabinet for a while!
    Growlybear likes this.

Banned
    Plenty of international hunters come here and bring their firearms and hunt. I would check with a 'Safari Park' operator in NZ as to what the latest law is, they will know what you can and cannot do.
    Growlybear likes this.

Make friends and put the firearms in their care till it’s all legal beagle, they can bring them out and take you hunting with the rule they basically observe and watch you

If you can get a travel gun licence then someone can just handle the safe storage for you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Make friends and put the firearms in their care till it’s all legal beagle,
    Maybe someone on the forum could help?

Thanks folks!! Just an update...we're visiting next month!! Tauranga, Nelson and Christchurch!! Pretty excited about all this. Hopefully I can con some FGNZ/DOC office to give me a chance. Plenty of time to get the gun thing in order...but this hunting season I've relegated myself to only thinking about hunting in NZ and shooting deers solely as a source of meat...that and guiding on 3 wapiti hunts
    MB and ROKTOY like this.

great stuff....get in touch with forum members in whatever part of country you are in at the time..someone will be sure to be able to take you for a wander or just meet up for a beverage or two...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Spoke to a young hunter the other night whilst walking my dogs . Talk got around to hunting. He quietly disclosed he is steadily mowing down all the deer species in NZ with a .22 rifle. All deer so far shot in head. He does not aim any where else. All deer shot under 40m. Only 20 years old. Suppose its better than having a life using meth.