Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor... 123 or 130 or 140?

Well, I wanted more performance than a .223 and .243 but also be comfortable shooting it.

I'm not gonna be smashing 1k anytime soon and the Creedmoor has manageable recoil for someone with my shooting skill/experience.

I'm a big fan of the 300 Win Mag but not the reloading cost for powder!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Well, I wanted more performance than a .223 and .243 but also be comfortable shooting it.

I'm not gonna be smashing 1k anytime soon and the Creedmoor has manageable recoil for someone with my shooting skill/experience.

Projectiles is the biggest cost with reloading, after all the reloading gear. TimeRider loves her 7mm RM.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

GWH

For what you want the 6.5CM or 260 rem etc is ideally suited mate. My 260 use to go pretty well with the 123 Amax out to 600 yards or so (unfortunately that rifle wouldn't stabilise anything heavier) but heavier will be better again if you want better performance in wind and more energy on target/animal.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Why not? My 260 with 130s does
    199p and SlimySquirrel like this.

Out to say 400yds speed rules, after 400yds BC rules

Just been looking around a sports shop in Houston
    Name:  812AD057-2EE2-455C-9B62-CB236BC26FA3.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  142.0 KB
    Tahr, 199p, gadgetman and 4 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Europe is King,when it comes 6.5 competition shooting,they've been doing it for a very long time. The long 6.5 projectiles seem to defie even their own ballistic-bounds. Some rifles wont stabilise one weight, and then will stabilise something much heavier, that they technically shouldnt. You can check out all the swede {norwegian} 6.5x55 data, and you'll find endless info that you can adapt to Creedmoor. Dont chase speed, over the sweet-spots. Try also; setting your projectiles much further back than all the people in this part of the world say. European competitors often start 2mm off the lands, and work slowly forward. 6.5 projectiles often prefer a "jump", and primer-pockets last longer, with way less chamber pressures. Have fun..

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Why not? My 260 with 130s does
    Dude.... is your shit stir paddle a custom design?
    Gibo and Huk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Out to say 400yds speed rules, after 400yds BC rules

Just been looking around a sports shop in Houston
    Attachment 87621
    Thats F*cking insane.... I hate photo's like that!!

I assume you are replying to my comment about if you wanted better performance in the wind you should have chosen something bigger than a 6.5mm. My original comment was intended to be for the comparison of the 130gr projectiles and 140gr+ projectiles in a short action 6.5mm calibre and how the increase in wind bucking ability of the 140gr+ projectiles is not significant when you consider how much most people typically practice shooting in varied wind conditions.
    It was not intended to compare the 6.5mm against your 223 or 243 - that said you probably shouldn't bother comparing your .243 using the heavy 6mm target projectiles against your new 6.5CM - the results of this comparison might surprise you.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I hear ya.

I'm not comparing, just stating that I want more performance than those two rounds offer.

I couldn't get anything bigger than 100 gr to work in my previous .243 so I went with the Creedmor.

I'll get plenty of opportunity to shoot this rig as I have the others. It's in an area that offers varied wind direction and plenty of gullies to test out wind call, hence the shift up from the 1-8 .223.

Speed is not an issue here for me. I'm over the "must go faster" scenario that ruled over my decision making prior... I would have kept my 6.5-284 that I sold to Ryan if I was still into the mad speed!
    That said, I will probably look at the 130gr projectiles and have a play until I settle on something that tickles my fancy...my youngest has already said he wants to shoot the Creedmoor so I need to load them down and reduce the recoil too.

Do I hear a 6mm CM

I would try the 140 and 147 eldm and the 130 and 140 vlds
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

143gr ELD-X all the way for me. Hasn’t been a hunting discussion I know but this photo was last night’s goat action, from a little less than 250m out to 625-630m. Very little wind, sometimes its gets up a bit downrange and you have to watch out... but otherwise these 143gr pills have been outstanding. As per comments above, I also have to rely on drops data and back calculate velocity, rather than just the chrono. Out past 250m the Strelock gets it all wrong if I just use the chrono data.

Of all the pills I’ve used in .22, 6mm and .30, these long for calibre, heavy 6.5s have been defo the most reliable to hunt with out past half a click, accuracy speaking. On paper they’ll do 0.5” groups at 100m easy, often better, but its the downrange bankability that’s really impressed me, not just accuracy wise but the whopping great thump they deliver as well. Bloody good bullets, I’m fully converted.
    GWH, SlimySquirrel, Bernie and 2 others like this.

Love a shithouse title so I'll attempt to shed some light here...

SO I have a new 6.5 creedmoor. Yeah, it's a Tikka and I drank the Kool Aid but now I need to know what the benefits of the heavier projectiles are!

I'm mainly shooting gongs out to 700 yds at the moment. Well, I'm hoping to get out there.
    Most of my shooting has been out to 500 with a .223 and mates 7mm08 so I want to go further hence the creedmoor. So assuming they all shoot in my rig, will the heavier projectiles be of any benefit over the 123 ELD-M at that distance?

So, lets say there is 15-20 mph from 3 o'clock.... is the weight v speed a relevant argument here or is it only out past that point?
    Here's a couple of screen shots to to show bigger BC equals better performance at long range

first is for hornady factory load 129sst superformance doing 2923 at muzzel 15mph from 90 degrees
    Name:  129sst.png
Views: 284
Size:  158.8 KB

2nd is for 147 ELDM doing 2690 at the muzzle same wind
    Name:  147 ELDm.png
Views: 278
Size:  142.6 KB

The rest is self explanatory

Oh and the numbers are for my 6.5 CM 24inch barrel
    Last edited by spada; 16-05-2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    johnd and SlimySquirrel like this.

Awesome @spada

Thats the thing, see at 600-700 it's not really enough to make a difference really for me as I'm used to holding PLENTY for the .223 beyond 400 yds.
    But once it gets out past 700, the real numbers start to shine particularly in the windage front!

It's been bloody playing on my mind so I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 123 or 140.

The only issue is that the data I'm getting from Bullet Flight at 700yds with a 15mph wind from the 3 has the 123 ELD-M @2900 16.3 MOA up 7.6 MOA right and the 140 ELD-M @2650 is giving me 18.9 MOA up and 7.3 MOA so thats not a huge difference? Is that the same in your app?
    Does the full Bullet Flight App give you the full list of projectiles? I can't find the 130 ELDM on there and cant adjust drop values. I only have the $6 version...

I'll be going that far first before getting giddy and going further...