Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor... 123 or 130 or 140?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Awesome @spada

Thats the thing, see at 600-700 it's not really enough to make a difference really for me as I'm used to holding PLENTY for the .223 beyond 400 yds.
    But once it gets out past 700, the real numbers start to shine particularly in the windage front!

It's been bloody playing on my mind so I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 123 or 140.

The only issue is that the data I'm getting from Bullet Flight at 700yds with a 15mph wind from the 3 has the 123 ELD-M @2900 16.3 MOA up 7.6 MOA right and the 140 ELD-M @2650 is giving me 18.9 MOA up and 7.3 MOA so thats not a huge difference? Is that the same in your app?
    Does the full Bullet Flight App give you the full list of projectiles? I can't find the 130 ELDM on there and cant adjust drop values. I only have the $6 version...

I'll be going that far first before getting giddy and going further...
    I think your velocity numbers for both bullet weights are quite conservative. I'll check mt load data, but im sure i was pushing the 143gr much faster from my 20" 6.5CM
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Awesome @spada

Thats the thing, see at 600-700 it's not really enough to make a difference really for me as I'm used to holding PLENTY for the .223 beyond 400 yds.
    But once it gets out past 700, the real numbers start to shine particularly in the windage front!

It's been bloody playing on my mind so I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 123 or 140.

The only issue is that the data I'm getting from Bullet Flight at 700yds with a 15mph wind from the 3 has the 123 ELD-M @2900 16.3 MOA up 7.6 MOA right and the 140 ELD-M @2650 is giving me 18.9 MOA up and 7.3 MOA so thats not a huge difference? Is that the same in your app?
    Does the full Bullet Flight App give you the full list of projectiles? I can't find the 130 ELDM on there and cant adjust drop values. I only have the $6 version...

I'll be going that far first before getting giddy and going further...
    I agree with @GWH your velocities are quite low. With a 140 ELDm you should be closer to 2800 fps
    Secondly I've not been able to get the accuracy out of the lighter bullets in my rig, certainly not good enough to consider shots beyond 500M albeit I have only used factory loads for those and am now reloading 140/143/147 elds. They do it all well and they do it very well out at long range as long as I do my part.

Below is the table for my 140 ELDm load the drop is not significantly different to the lighter offerings but your windage is basically half of the lower BC projectiles even at the closer ranges.
    I can live with the holdover but if I can lessen the windage error those are what I'll go for every time.

Name:  Screenshot_20180516-182105.png
Views: 204
Size:  136.3 KB
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

I use Strelok+ but you can use the free version and it lets you input your own loads data

you 130 eldm table below same wind as before working on 2890 MV
    hope that helps.

Name:  130eldm.png
Views: 274
Size:  143.9 KB

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I think your velocity numbers for both bullet weights are quite conservative. I'll check mt load data, but im sure i was pushing the 143gr much faster from my 20" 6.5CM
    I saw 2850 fps at the higher end of my ladder testing with the 143 eldx in my 6.5CM, but that was getting warm, presure signs were higher than that tho, but 2800 should be quite achieveable without pushing too hard.

Yeah, interesting how the different barrels of the same length can have such variances in velocity.

I'd rather work out on the conservative side and then be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for your help lads.... I'll have to work out velocity the hard way! start at 100 and try to hit gongs on the way out.... should be fun anyway.
    spada likes this.