Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 7prc build

7prc build

Hey guys new here
    Thought I’d share my build, so I had a tikka t3x with a 6.5wsm proof barrel shoots amazingly (still shoots .3moa) but I’ve been wanting to build another that could shoot heavier pills. As the 6.5 156EOL was the heaviest pill I could buy.
    So after hummming and rrring (as we all do) I thought bugger it I’m gonna try the 7prc. So after having great experience with the proof barrels I decided to order a new barrel in 7mm prc. I’ve just received the rifle back today from it being chambered. I’ve managed to get a hold of 100 factory 180 match ammo. I’ve heard the brass isn’t the best but it will do.
    Even if I get a couple of reloads per piece until other manufacturers start bringing it out.
    Anyway if anyone is reloading for a prc and wants to share what is working for them ie powder pills ect I’d be interested to hear .I’ve got plenty of 175ELDx and 180 eldm. 2225,h1000,7828,4955

On another note I’m going to be selling my old barrel if anyone is interested in playing with a 6.5wsm wildcat
    I have about 200 brass, Dies, dpt suppressor. 26” proof research carbon barrel 700ish shots would love to swap for a auto powder dispenser

(Hopefully my photos uploaded correctly)

Tikka t3x action
    24” proof barrel
    T3 terminator brake
    Vortex pst gen1
    Carbon stock

Name:  IMG_3068.jpeg
Views: 819
Size:  69.4 KBName:  IMG_3066.jpeg
Views: 806
Size:  42.8 KB
    199p, Grantn and MPR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterzk View Post
    Hey guys new here
    Thought I’d share my build, so I had a tikka t3x with a 6.5wsm proof barrel shoots amazingly (still shoots .3moa) but I’ve been wanting to build another that could shoot heavier pills. As the 6.5 156EOL was the heaviest pill I could buy.
    So after hummming and rrring (as we all do) I thought bugger it I’m gonna try the 7prc. So after having great experience with the proof barrels I decided to order a new barrel in 7mm prc. I’ve just received the rifle back today from it being chambered. I’ve managed to get a hold of 100 factory 180 match ammo. I’ve heard the brass isn’t the best but it will do.
    Even if I get a couple of reloads per piece until other manufacturers start bringing it out.
    Anyway if anyone is reloading for a prc and wants to share what is working for them ie powder pills ect I’d be interested to hear .I’ve got plenty of 175ELDx and 180 eldm. 2225,h1000,7828,4955

On another note I’m going to be selling my old barrel if anyone is interested in playing with a 6.5wsm wildcat
    I have about 200 brass, Dies, dpt suppressor. 26” proof research carbon barrel 700ish shots would love to swap for a auto powder dispenser

Tikka t3x action
    24” proof barrel
    T3 terminator brake
    Vortex pst gen1
    Carbon stock

Attachment 230494Attachment 230493
    Very nice I've been loading mine with 2217 and 2225 with the 180grn ELDM I've sort of stopped for now as I'm waiting for ADG brass which is almost here.
    The Hornady brass is inconsistent and I have some RL 26 coming as well so I'm waiting for the brass before doing more load development.
    I was getting just over 2800fps with both 2225 and 2217 from a 20"

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    hunterzk likes this.

Thank you. Yes from what I’ve been reading 2217 and 2225 is the go to powder. I’d love to stick with 2225 as I’ve got a few lbs left over from the 6.5. Great numbers out the 20” makes me excited to see what I can get out of the 24”. Were you close to max? Many thanks

Thank you. Yes from what I’ve been reading 2217 and 2225 is the go to powder. I’d love to stick with 2225 as I’ve got a few lbs left over from the 6.5. Great numbers out the 20” makes me excited to see what I can get out of the 24”. Were you close to max? Many thanks
    It was near max in that brass.
    Check out Hawkins precision 7prc they have data with 2217 and 2225

hunterzk likes this.

Hey guys new here

Tikka t3x action
    24” proof barrel
    T3 terminator brake
    Vortex pst gen1
    Carbon stock

Attachment 230494Attachment 230493
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    It was near max in that brass.
    Check out Hawkins precision 7prc they have data with 2217 and 2225

Cheers for that. I’ve just finished reading there post about all the different powders they tired. Id be over the moon with 3k from a 180gr
    25/08 IMP likes this.

You probably wont see 3k with the 180s in a 24" unless your using RL26 or willing to beat your brass up.

I havent used 180s in mine yet all my load development has been with 175s. Mine is 22" & your leaning on it resonably hard to get to 3000 with the 175s even with RL26.

Sick bro
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Thank you. I’ll report back once I get it to my range. Just waiting for a free moment away from daddy daycare duty’s. So most likely next weekend. The gunsmith fired 4 shot though it. Gave me the target yesterday when I picked rifle up and all shots were touching so hopefully will be a shooter

Should be a shooter then mate my lrm is only just over 3000 with 2217 trying 2225 tomorrow which I think will be slightly faster 26" bbl
    superdiver and hunterzk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Should be a shooter then mate my lrm is only just over 3000 with 2217 trying 2225 tomorrow which I think will be slightly faster 26" bbl
    Nice! That with 180s? Would of like to go 26” again but none available in nz for awhile but there was a 24” on shelf

Nice! That with 180s? Would of like to go 26” again but none available in nz for awhile but there was a 24” on shelf
    Yip 180gn eldm i also shoot them in my saum at 2880 absolutely deadly combo so id chase accuracy over max speed and rest assure they just flat out work

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Yip 180gn eldm i also shoot them in my saum at 2880 absolutely deadly combo so id chase accuracy over max speed and rest assure they just flat out work
    Sweet looking forward to shooting them. Have you had much experience with them on deer and tahr? I’ve never shot the hornady match. I’ve shot alot of Berger target loads and wouldn’t recommend on game

Sweet looking forward to shooting them. Have you had much experience with them on deer and tahr? I’ve never shot the hornady match. I’ve shot alot of Berger target loads and wouldn’t recommend on game
    The 180s hit like a brick, was punching holes through the gong at 200y and seem em sack heaps of deer.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Thats a nice rifle.

Funny, I have loads of rifles shooting heavy pills and I have a hankering for a 6.5 shooting lighter pills now.

A couple of my rifles are based on T3s and they make very good actions for semi-custom builds. Mine have the small transition on the front of the receiver machined off about 100 thou' and a recoil lug fitted on the barrel shank with the same profile as the receiver, which makes bedding much easier.

My riflesmith in the US told me that he has never seen a T3 action that needed truing and he doesn't know why they are not more popular for non-factory builds.

Enjoy shooting yours. My 7RM shoots the 180s at 2840 fps, which I think is fast enough with the BC they have, with a mild load and they flatten whatever they hit.
    TeRei likes this.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Jus
    175 elite hunter Berger’s leave a fist size exit hole out of my 20” 7 prc, 2830 fps. Shot deer out to 460 yards with them. Very dead, very quick very accurate
    Gkp and 25/08 IMP like this.