Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By 308mate
  • 2 Post By 7.62
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By cameronjackwhite

Thread: 8x42 v 10x42 Binos

8x42 v 10x42 Binos

Hey guys, I am after some binos for hunting, I am looking a few 10x42 models such as the Leupold BX-2 and Steiner Observers etc.

I will be hunting in the NI. I was about to pull the trigger on some 10x42's but have been reading about FOV and light gathering advantages in 8x42 binos. I am using a .260 which will be used up to 500m at the max I would think.

Just after the opinions on the 8x42 v 10x42 binos in that scenario, I can't work out in my mind how much I am losing at distance dropping down from 10x to 8x.

Cheers

It wont matter which ones you buy, you will end up wanting the features of the other ones as well.

One day you will be sitting in the bush with your 10 powers and struggle to hold them still enough to see that deer ear at 50 M in the gloom and you'll go " dam i wish i had the 8's"

Then on the next trip you will be using your 8 x to glass a slip 500 m away and go
    "Damn I wish I had bought the 10x"

Its always a bit of a compromise whichever way you go
    Personally I went for the 8x (Lighter brighter etc ) but whatever you do, buy the best glass you can afford.
    I have been out with my 8x and a guy with some lower quality 10x couldnt see what i could see on low light at distance (600M + )
    It really opened his eyes so to speak.
    Jit and 308mate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    It wont matter which ones you buy, you will end up wanting the features of the other ones as well.

One day you will be sitting in the bush with your 10 powers and struggle to hold them still enough to see that deer ear at 50 M in the gloom and you'll go " dam i wish i had the 8's"

Then on the next trip you will be using your 8 x to glass a slip 500 m away and go
    "Damn I wish I had bought the 10x"

Its always a bit of a compromise whichever way you go
    @johnd - clearly what I need is 9 x42 binos..
    johnd likes this.

VAri power 4 to 12 ?

10x is more popular but I prefer 8x, simply due to the wider field of view. I’ve also found 8x to be more than adequate when glassing at longer ranges, provided the glass is up to the task. I’ve used 8x30s for years but I’m looking at upgrading to 8.5x42
    Got-ya and 308mate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    10x is more popular but I prefer 8x, simply due to the wider field of view. I’ve also found 8x to be more than adequate when glassing at longer ranges, provided the glass is up to the task. I’ve used 8x30s for years but I’m looking at upgrading to 8.5x42
    @7.62 Yeah I have been playing with an 8x42 pair of my friends this afternoon / evening, I am going to have a good look through them in the day time tomorrow. I am starting to lean towards 8x.

When I made a once in a lifetime purchase of a set of high end bino's I looked through many pairs of both 10x and 8x. In the end I chose 8x as I felt they better suited the way my eyes "scan" - to me 10x was like looking down a tube. Everyone is going to be different on this, so I'm not saying "8x is better", but to really trial the various options before you commit. I've never looked back with the 8x's I have.
    Got-ya and 308mate like this.

I went leica 8x42s because I'm a shaky bastard. Love them. I find them alot easier to glass through than my old 10 power and glass quality makes up for any loss in mag imo

@cameronjackwhite

How much were those Lecia binos? I think they are out of my budget even for second hand

Talk to @Sarvo he can get leica pricing but also has a cheaper range that bang for bucks paid is very good
    308mate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    @cameronjackwhite

How much were those Lecia binos? I think they are out of my budget even for second hand
    I was around the $1000 mark from memory. 2nd hand but basically new condition. Was an awesome find
    308mate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Talk to @Sarvo he can get leica pricing but also has a cheaper range that bang for bucks paid is very good
    Cheers @mikee have sent him a message.

Jit
    Yup. My once in a lifetime are 8s. With Top brands You don’t lose anything over x10 but gain field of view and last light benefits. Had 10s for years.

Yup I still sometimes think oh to have x10 but in reality you can’t se any MORE it’s just a tiny bit bigger and harder to stabilise.
    If you need big power use your rifle scope to do the final check the tines our before shooting that stag or take a spotting scope.

Which ever you choose buy the very best glass you can possibly afford. You’ll never regret it and it will not only look after your eyes but after you wallet too if you ever need to sell.