Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 9mm bolt action / low mag capacity options

There was a .410 revolver long gun on the wall at Shooter Supplies in Rotovegas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Looks interesting. Does anyone know who Marshall Precision is?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The revolver rifles weren't able to be approved. Maybe a 9mm de lisle carbine project, using 9mm 1911 mags perhaps?
    The trouble with the De Lisle concept is that they are very heavy. Also prone to feeding and ejecting issues. The idea of a rifle built from the ground up around a pistol round (short action) is much more appealing. Also the ability to remove a suppressor to facilitate cleaning is a big plus.

I've had more than a few De Lisle carbines in various forms, and one built by a prominent gunsmith. Once you get over the novelty factor they really are just a toy.
    Nice to own but good for....?

If you think logically, perhaps a suppressed lever action is the way to go? Full house .357 or 44 Magnum gives you better ballistics than a 9mm or 45, plus you
    can load down to subsonic levels if you want to go quiet. Light, compact and the manufacturer ( Rossi, Winchester, Marlin etc) has ironed out feeding & ejection problems so they're good to go. Only down side would be price of factory ammunition so reloading would have to be considered.

I know they're not available in 9mm, and the post was about utilizing a quantity of 9mm ammunition already purchased. Sell it and move on...?.
    Last edited by Ruger; 18-08-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    Looks interesting. Does anyone know who Marshall Precision is?
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-action-44538/

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    The trouble with the De Lisle concept is that they are very heavy. Also prone to feeding and ejecting issues. The idea of a rifle built from the ground up around a pistol round (short action) is much more appealing. Also the ability to remove a suppressor to facilitate cleaning is a big plus.

I've had more than a few De Lisle carbines in various forms, and one built by a prominent gunsmith. Once you get over the novelty factor they really are just a toy.
    Nice to own but good for....?

If you think logically, perhaps a suppressed lever action is the way to go? Full house .357 or 44 Magnum gives you better ballistics than a 9mm or 45, plus you
    can load down to subsonic levels if you want to go quiet. Light, compact and the manufacturer ( Rossi, Winchester, Marlin etc) has ironed out feeding & ejection problems so they're good to go. Only down side would be price of factory ammunition so reloading would have to be considered.

I know they're not available in 9mm, and the post was about utilizing a quantity of 9mm ammunition already purchased. Sell it and move on...?.
    Of course we don't know how much 9mm he is sitting on, never mind reloading gear etc etc (-:

The de Lisle could have been made in .303, scoped, issued with only a small amount of rare-use subsonic .303 ... and the rest of the time been fed standard, supersonic ammo. No feeding or ejection issues, no un-British .45 ammo supply issue, bolt unchanged, mag unchanged, far less engineering involved, and the maxim silencer design would have done fine with rifle loads. Could have proven more useful in WW2 than the No 4 Mk 1(T), but we'll never know of course.

Thanks all. I think I’ll sell the 9mm ammo (it’s hardly bucketloads), and start again in a common bolt caliber.

If you do sell your 9mm supply, and specifically want a pistol cal bolt action, there is a Ruger 77/357 on trademe.
    sightpicture likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    There is a hole in the marketplace for a compact bolt action carbine in 9mm caliber.....been there for ages but for some reason no one much has been interested in filling it.Why is a mystery to me.Maybe now that semi's are gone that will change.A pity the Ruger 77 is not available in this caliber hopefullly that is something Ruger might consider,especially if parts of the US start down the same road we are on in regards to semi-auto centerfire's.That or get some outfit like Norinco to make a bolt action (or straight pull/manually operated) 9mm carbine,even something like a slightly scaled up JW 15 could be a winner.Armscor in the Philippines could also make something similar all they have to do is make a 9mm barrelled version of their .22 TCM carbine,I did ask them recently if they would make one but no reply so far.
    I'd think it's because 9 is ballistically inferior to their 357 and 44 offerings. Also Ruger being based in the states they're swamped with 9mm pistols. I'm not sure at what barrel length 9mm runs out of puff, I'm guessing 10-12".

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    If you do sell your 9mm supply, and specifically want a pistol cal bolt action, there is a Ruger 77/357 on trademe.
    Can't find it. But it should be pretty easy to set the barrel back and re-chamber for 9mm, not sure how feeding would go out of their 357 rotary mag...

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    I'd think it's because 9 is ballistically inferior to their 357 and 44 offerings. Also Ruger being based in the states they're swamped with 9mm pistols. I'm not sure at what barrel length 9mm runs out of puff, I'm guessing 10-12".
    Yes, about 8"-10" going by the "Ballistics by the inch" page, with some differences between different kinds of ammo. Most bullets still pick up slightly even out to 17" 18" barrels. So not bad for reduced muzzle report and removing the blast a bit further from the shooter's face and a longer sight radius if you just go for iron sights.

9mm carbine with fixed mag and stripper clip loading would be viable as 9x19 has identical base to 5.56x45. Plenty 10-round stripper clips available for the latter, and much cheaper than spare mags. Selling point would be relatively cheap 9mm ammo, minimal recoil, and ability to take larger animals like goats.
    Last edited by Cordite; 19-08-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    mimms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Yes, about 8"-10" going by the "Ballistics by the inch" page,
    Hadn't seen that before. Handy reference, if a bit limited.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Hadn't seen that before. Handy reference, if a bit limited.
    Yes, more useful at a glance to have graphs "velocity vs inch"

I am looking to build a nice compact carbine bolt action, and was suggested that the Norinco or Bisley would be a cheap starting point for an action. But last weekend a gunsmith mate tells me that the Norinco 223 barrel is pressed in rather than screwed in and may be difficult to find a gunsmith keen to swap the 223 barrel for a 9mm barrel. Any one care to enlighten me as to how difficult, or not, this would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    I am looking to build a nice compact carbine bolt action, and was suggested that the Norinco or Bisley would be a cheap starting point for an action. But last weekend a gunsmith mate tells me that the Norinco 223 barrel is pressed in rather than screwed in and may be difficult to find a gunsmith keen to swap the 223 barrel for a 9mm barrel. Any one care to enlighten me as to how difficult, or not, this would be.
    If you're treating the barrel as scrap anyway it can be cut off, then the tenon in the receiver drilled/reamed out and threaded, provided there is enough meat on it.
    If you wanted to salvage the barrel, then judicious application of heat, then cooling, then beating the shit out of it, should get the job done.
    Husky1600 likes this.

and logic would say leave the thing as a .223 and just go shoot it as it is.