Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: air rfle

air rfle

ok so i got a bird pest problem (starlings mainly they are nesting in the chimney under the eaves and getting into the roof cavity ) im thinking of getting an air rifle to manage this and not having laid hands on one for around 40 years wanting to know what will be my minimum/maximum requirements before i go buy one i have a bit of space (3/4 acre) enough for an air rifle but probably couldnt get away with a rimfire.
    will probably set up an indoor range (30m) and outdoor (50-80m) too just for fun (as mentioned too close to the road and neighbours to have a rimfire range safely).
    might also want to target the odd magpie , mynahs and rat although the rats have been scarce because of the cats and dog.

Even 30 metres is a long range for most air rifles unless you’re getting a reputable (expensive) brand.
    Cordite and outlander like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

should have said the birds i will be targetting will mostly be within 30m .....
    im a firm believer in if cheap will do the same job as expensive then i will buy cheap but if its a case of you get what you pay for then i will pay more....

I bought a stoeger on special, secret to accuracy are the quality of the pellets, mines a .22, cleaned out a few punks they were invading his property and giving his ducks hell
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I went to Gun City and got an Air Chief Rapid Repeater .22 $399 (Also known as the CR600W) Very quiet and accurate from my initial tests (only had it a week) Takes C02 cylinders though.

ruger airhawk (metal version) not the 2nd gen plastic pos.
    i have one for sale as i got it for the mrs and she preferred the 22

What is your budget?

I do know that .22 pellets invariably bounce off magpies @ 550fps ( BSA Meteor) from 25 metres.

northdude
    ive got a pcp just as good as a 22lr at your kind of ranges
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    I do know that .22 pellets invariably bounce off magpies @ 550fps ( BSA Meteor) from 25 metres.
    Sighted in my 22 BSA Meteor at 25 metres - and then a chicken-chasing magpie flew down and landed on the target frame.

The slug didn’t bounce off HIM!
    Micky Duck, outlander and Ftx325 like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

If your using a springer on birds aim a little above them. I bought a Crossman phantom? for the same reason a few years back. Had enough grunt but I swear the mynah's could hear the spring release. Started aiming 2-3 inches above them and was getting results.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Sighted in my 22 BSA Meteor at 25 metres - and then a chicken-chasing magpie flew down and landed on the target frame.

The slug didn’t bounce off HIM!
    Good. I'm a shit shot and always seem to hit them sideon, ie. the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Really? 550fps might be on the low side. And if that's "as advertised" and you're not using hyperlight pellets, (They use light pellets to get big numbers for marketing hype) you're probably not getting near that velo anyway.

Headshots mate...
    15gr pellet = 480fps; 13.5gr = 534fps; 14grgr = 513fps. All seem to be par for the course from a MK1 Meteor.

I resighted the gamo in yesterday...blackbird and thrush wont be digging up our garden anymore...cheap slugs are/seem to be better than expensive lighter ones..at 15-20 yards I dont need velocity...and from experience years back shooting literally hundreds of rats at local tip...flat or rounded pellets hit harder,I believe the pointy ones hit in same place but whizz through,whereas the flat ones have a bit more shock/disruption on way through...they certainly kill more cleanly.make sure what you get can be let down/uncocked.....mate bought one 2 weeks ago and you have to fire it once cocked...

cheers guys so i was thinking along the lines of a stoeger rx20 https://intl.stoegerairguns.com/en/p...uppressor.html or comparable other ....
    .177 be ample or .22?