Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: air rfle

I have a Crossman 1000 good accurate rifle in 177. Have shot all sorts of birds and animals. Rabbits at 25-30 m also a few wallabies ( smaller NI version) at about 15 m.
    Within your range of 30 m a good 177 will work fine as will a 22.
    I chrono mine with various pellets a while back and with 8.95 gr White Point I got around 710 fps , with the lightest I had at 4.9 gr it averaged 870 fps, this is a 1000 fps model so the advertised speeds aren't always achievable.
    We used to use air rifles in town when I worked for the RC when we had agro magpies attacking people, I used my 177, my mate used the work 22 Gamo, both flattened the magpies easy as.

smaller birds, then 17 is the way to go, 700-900 fps,
    I have nailed rabbits with my 22 at 25 mtr doing about 650 fps.
    spend some time on this blog and research the models you are looking at.
    possums in trees at 5 mtrs at say 500 fps.

also note the the spring piston ones can be very hold sensitive. (gas piston less so but still sensitive)

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/

z

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I have a Crossman 1000 good accurate rifle in 177. Have shot all sorts of birds and animals. Rabbits at 25-30 m also a few wallabies ( smaller NI version) at about 15 m.
    Within your range of 30 m a good 177 will work fine as will a 22.
    I chrono mine with various pellets a while back and with 8.95 gr White Point I got around 710 fps , with the lightest I had at 4.9 gr it averaged 870 fps, this is a 1000 fps model so the advertised speeds aren't always achievable.
    We used to use air rifles in town when I worked for the RC when we had agro magpies attacking people, I used my 177, my mate used the work 22 Gamo, both flattened the magpies easy as.
    I bought a similar Crossman in .177. No problem on rabbits out to 50m and a cat at 20m. Recently got given a Nitro piston Gamo in .22 which is nice and quiet to shoot. My favourite is a Cannon 737, licensed copy of the Sharp Innova, multi pump.
    Mooseman likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

When I was a bit younger, a Crossman in .177 (1000fps) dealt to all the possums around the house for a couple of years.
    It was interesting to time how long after the established bunch where wiped out that a new lot would move into the territory.

I will reiterate what the others have said - round head pellets definitely have more punch.
    I could put those through old floor boards, but the pointed ones would simply crumple and be embeded in the board.
    Mooseman likes this.

Also - pretty accurate too! I could saw my way through taro stems with it at 25-30m with a string of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    ruger airhawk (metal version) not the 2nd gen plastic pos.
    i have one for sale as i got it for the mrs and she preferred the 22
    How does it shoot gonetropo? I have a few new residents that need to move on