Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Air rifle

I have been hunting with springer for about 5 years , a .177 and a .22. Both drop rabbits , its all about shot placement.
    I would be talking to mintie… I know him from the airgun forums and he is a wizzzzzz with air rifles. I actually brought a cometa fusion/swapped with him and still have it .
    (hope you don't mind me mentioning this mintie) . I have only just rebuilt the cometa after putting about four tins of pellets thru her.
    Anyways springers are great for hunting/plinking.
    gadgetman and Mintie like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

I nail a few possums about the place with a 22cal multi pump.
    Benjamin 392 factory rated to about 12ftlb but tuned to 20ftlb. Possums in trees fall down with 6 pumps out of a possible 14.
    For research on individual rifles and types of power plant spend some time here.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/
    NB multi pumps are fun in that you can shoot very quietly at say 5 mtr with kids on 2 pumps or step it up on fur.
    Biggest problem is bullet drop so you need to pick a power level and shoot at intervals out to ????30mtr.
    Z

Thanks guys for all your info.
    Am wanting to shoot some pest birds in a shed on a farm at a range of no more than say 50 meters and maybe some bunnies and or possums.
    I do have a .22 Ruger for bunnies etc but wont always have it with me.
    ULTIMITSU If I started using an Air Rifle in my back yard then I would be in some deep trouble with the boss lady at home AND of course the boys in Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I nail a few possums about the place with a 22cal multi pump.
    Benjamin 392 factory rated to about 12ftlb but tuned to 20ftlb. Possums in trees fall down with 6 pumps out of a possible 14.
    For research on individual rifles and types of power plant spend some time here.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/
    NB multi pumps are fun in that you can shoot very quietly at say 5 mtr with kids on 2 pumps or step it up on fur.
    Biggest problem is bullet drop so you need to pick a power level and shoot at intervals out to ????30mtr.
    Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Paua Pete View Post
    Am wanting to shoot some pest birds in a shed on a farm at a range of no more than say 50 meters and maybe some bunnies and or possums.
    ULTIMITSU If I started using an Air Rifle in my back yard then I would be in some deep trouble with the boss lady at home AND of course the boys in Blue.
    A multi pump is great for that job. I bought a Canon 737 from Youngs for birds in sheds. I have it sighted in on three pumps.
    northdude likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

tell ya what pete. upon supplying i.d which i will scan i will lend you the ruger air rifle to use, you break it you bought it though.

I'm using a .25cal Diana PCP (yep, the Chinese made, German tuned ones), and it's magic on Rabbits and Hares. Might not be the go for using inside a barn, as they carry a fair bit of energy, and will quite possibly put holes in the roofing / cladding.

I guess I'm lucky. The wife enjoys shooting the .22lr and air rifle in the back yard, and the neighbors want all of their rabbits dead.
    As for having the boys in blue turning up for using the air rifle at home, the Arms code has the following entry in regards to this. You are covered by the code, so should have no issues.

"Airguns may be used safely at home by setting up a properly
    constructed range in your backyard or basement. In this way
    you can enjoy your airgun in a safe and responsible way.
    • Your range must have a ‘backstop’ e.g. a solid fence or
    wall.
    • No one should be able to walk between the target and
    your airgun while you are shooting.
    • The target needs to be fixed to a ‘pellet trap’ e.g. a
    cardboard box full of sand.
    "
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Birds in a shed, sounds like a good job for a 177.
    Medium power only or you will shoot holes in the tin.
    Spring/gas spring as you don't have to worry about varying drops.
    But that Cannon 737 multi pump suggested above from youngs would be perfect.
    Many of the cheaper Spring air guns require a very high level of holding technique to shoot accurately for minute of Bird at 20 mtr type of stuff.
    Fine for shooting cans but not for 1" kills on Sparrows.
    Z
    northdude likes this.

Young's Airgun Centre
    Cannon 737 $199 plastic stock
    http://www.youngsairgun.co.nz/catalogue/airguns&acc.pdf
    rated to 1000 fps but I'm betting thats with a PBA / lead free pellet.
    Still you probably only want 5-600 fps for birds inside.
    P PS Spring guns are typically most efficient with lighter pellets while PCP's and Multi pumps are better with heavier pellets due to having a larger volume of air to accelerate the pellet.
    gadgetman likes this.

I'm tempted to have a look at those pneumatic rifles, I used to have a Sharp Ace but foolishly sold it, my Norica is powerful but has a heavy trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawls View Post
    I'm tempted to have a look at those pneumatic rifles, I used to have a Sharp Ace but foolishly sold it, my Norica is powerful but has a heavy trigger.
    The Cannon 737 is a copy of the Sharp Innova made under license.
    Fawls likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Young's Airgun Centre
    Cannon 737 $199 plastic stock
    http://www.youngsairgun.co.nz/catalogue/airguns&acc.pdf
    rated to 1000 fps but I'm betting thats with a PBA / lead free pellet.
    Still you probably only want 5-600 fps for birds inside.
    P PS Spring guns are typically most efficient with lighter pellets while PCP's and Multi pumps are better with heavier pellets due to having a larger volume of air to accelerate the pellet.
    Happy to lend it to Paul to test out. A bit fiddly to load, but reasonably accurate and virtually nothing moving but pellet and air when you give the trigger a squeeze.
    ZQLewis likes this.

Well I went along to Young's today and picked up a Cannon 737 (wood stock), traded in my old air rifle and swapped some 22 pallets for 177's AND walked out with cash in my pocket! way happy!
    A few shots to sight it in (at half power) with open sights (at 22 metres) and even happier, great gun, thanks for the recommendation.
    gadgetman, Mintie, ZQLewis and 2 others like this.

Nice, Ron is a great guy to deal with! Was in there Yesterday myself in fact.

If anyone is interested I'll be listing a Sharp Innova for sale soon, very good original condition.
    ebee likes this.

Technically within the law you can safely shoot in your backyard with an air rifle (with an appropriate backstop). Logically too. But these days i just dont because all you need is an ignorant / and or rifle hating neighbour and sadly you have trouble.

Gotta say Ultamitsu you know your stuff. I was of the oldbreed NHAGC club at greenheith. Got to shoot with Sean Sweeny and some of the best across the country over those 7 years.

If it were me looking for a one off birdy gun i would be settling for 30m top range. Hw30s .177cal and a fixed 6x scope. Thats to shoot quite a lot. If its just a occational bird killer then i would go a cometa fenix.
    Just my 2c but i'd stay clear of .22 as these carry the enertia a hell of a long way further than .177. Keeping the gun lightly powered should make your scopes last longer too.
    ebee and Cordite like this.

First up hope all are well and keeping safe in this trying time.
    Just a quick thank you to those that gave constructive help with this and those that offered to lend me an air rifle.
    Thanks Mintie for your help as well was much appreciated.
    I ended up borrowing a Crossman .177 and seems to do the job nicely.
    I also have a CO2 powered one as well have yet to try that.

Once again everyone stay safe while in lock down.
    gadgetman and Jusepy like this.