Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Airgun Interest

If you're wondering what potential your airgun has, use jsb
    medium weight for .177 and RWS barracudas for .22.
    Yet to see any airgun that hates those.

I used to practice shooting tiny groups everyday with my AA200HC springer. Wouldnt be happy unless it 5shot cloverleafed at 40y at least once a session (sitting off the knee in std FT position).

Name:  20180704_193518.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  98.8 KB
    Last edited by T.FOYE; 05-01-2022 at 11:12 PM.

One idea for a backstop is to make a small box with two or three layers of Coreflute lining the front face. Coreflute is partly self-healing when projectiles go through. You'd fill the box with sand or similar which would prevent any voids for pellets to get through, something that clay clearly isn't good at. I haven't tried it but I'd guess 50mm of sand would stop any pellets, even from a PCP.

Nice idea for a pellet trap.

Name:  BFF8239B-11D3-4166-B459-4E39EE4AD640.jpeg
Views: 426
Size:  123.9 KB
    Trout, Dama dama and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Springer airguns are notorious for crazy recoil that could make stuff come loose.

Breakbarrels also have some extra structural screws that a powder rifle doesn't.

How tight do people do them up ?
    How often do you check them ? ( I asked one guy and he retightens every night he shoots.)
    Does anyone use a torque wrench ?
    What are they even called ? Do those cross screws have standard names ?
    Which ones would you use loctite on and which colour ? Or do people just use a film of oil so you can feel the torque smoothly by hand ?

Attachment 173890

Recently, I found one had come a bit loose, but it goes across thin wood that could split, so I wondered ...
    I think professionals tighten screws by hand but in the interests of standardisation I thought I'd try using the FAT wrench. Not sure if its a good idea or not. Most of the screws were already way tighter than the numbers below but this is what I've started with. My first trial settings are quite a bit less than people use on powder burner stocks.

1. Barrel pivot screw 20 in.lb
    2. Cross bedding screw 15 in.lb This is the one that had come loose but I thought needed a gentle touch.
    3. Front trigger guard screw 20 in.lb
    4. Rear trigger guard screw 20 in.lb
    5. Scope base screws 20 in.lb (Mount manufacturer Leapers UTG recommend more like 40 in.lb)
    6. Scope ring screws 20 in.lb (Manufacturer: 25 in.lb)

I'd be interested to hear what other people are using and of course what they call them.
    I haven't ever taken the stock off. Are there other screws inside that need regular checking ?
    I usually "Prepare" all new guns by cleaning the barrels, tightening all the stock screws as much as I can and using Loctite. Never had any issues with even magnum springers like Diana52. As per my experience if screws are getting loose, most of the time its the issue with internals, gun requiring a lube or a tune.

-Inder

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Nice idea for a pellet trap.

Attachment 187537
    Brilliant idea. I wouldn't use the wood, I'd just use the lid and cut a bit of the lid away.

Light pellets in a spring airgun ?

It's said that if its too light, the spring / piston slams down too fast and things will break.

What is "too light" supposed to be for a 177 or a 22 cal ?

Loctite on airguns

The cross bedding screws at the far end of the fore end are coming a little loose so I think I’ll put a drop of loctite on them.

To remind myself which one to use I consulted google and found this on airgun 101.
    https://www.airgun101.com/fx-airguns...-loctite-guide

I have been using this without any issue on all my airguns since last few years. It is supposed to be medium strength but I haven't got any chance to open the screws

Name:  IMG_0160.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  49.6 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

Ive got an older gamo model -trigger unit has a buggered spring so i took it apart .someone told me of a guy out kaiapoi canterbury way who dealt in these things -anyone know the details .some attention to the piston /airchambewr might also be required .can thse be honed??

Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    I have been using this without any issue on all my airguns since last few years. It is supposed to be medium strength but I haven't got any chance to open the screws

Attachment 204371
    I use the the full strength loctite.
    I only use it on the end few threads, if I can see the end of screw where it threads in I'll screw it in till just about all way in then put a small drop on let sit for a few secs and then finish screwing in. I haven't had an issue when it comes to undoing them. I wouldn't coat the whole thread.
    A gun tuner actually recommended nail polish. Which makes sence too. Haven't tried that yet.
    Inder likes this.

I have a diana model 25 is great condition for sale..... woodwork is 10/10,metal work is 9.5/10 there is one of the main screws been replaced and the rear sight is missing,its a model that was drilled n tapped for scope mounts,it even says that on action...
    its in the for sale section if any interest ,feel free to tell me if Im miles off with price,was not sure at all what it was worth...collectable maybe.useable definately.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hi Woody and Forum Members,
    Have a look in the Arms Code and the requirements are that you don't "Annoy, Endanger or Frighten" anyone.

First you need a bullet trap (I used sandbags, with solid wood behind which I checked from time to time. Have a plan for disposal once the bag is shredded.) I used corflute to attach the target flat in front. Give some thought to your firing zone and safety of misplaced shots and ricochets.

Second you need to be discreet and have the understanding of people you live with. Spend half an hour or so planning and discussing things to anticipate any objections eg no shooting after bed time or while young kids are around; let people know when you're going to be shooting.

Third, there are guidelines for setting up shooting ranges (link to NZ Police range manual 2005) which will give you some good ideas. You could go whole "Risk Management" on this and write your own range standing orders and standard operating procedures if you like.
    Google: "Shooting Airguns at Home"- Tony Bruce, Muzzle Loading Section Director.

Hi has anyone used these ?
    Looks like a wooden box with clay sort of stuff that catches the pellets.
    Out of stock in the USA, presumably due to lockdowns.
    Has anyone seen them for sale here ?

Attachment 180741

Here's a home made one on "Airgun Nation" forum. The plumbers putty looks a bit expensive $18 for 500g and hes used 12 lb (= $200 worth ??) and the Air Venturi has 10 lb of "Ballistic Putty" in it.

Attachment 180742
    Simpler yet: a carton, with a piece of truck mudflap at the back, then filled with newspapers (or old phone directories).

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Brought myself one of those cheap Chinese bam b50 pcp rifles last week in 177
    Brand new from guncity $299
    After getting it zeroed 1st 3 shots at 20y
    Attachment 159827
    Bloody happy with that

Not as accurate as my fx was but bloody good for a $300 rifle
    Only downside for some is being pcp it requires a license
    Not that that matters if you have got one already
    How loud are they compared to a surpressed .22lr with subs ?

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Ive got an older gamo model -trigger unit has a buggered spring so i took it apart .someone told me of a guy out kaiapoi canterbury way who dealt in these things -anyone know the details .some attention to the piston /airchambewr might also be required .can thse be honed??
    try Vaughans in Upper hut for parts. He's the gamo importer and may have the part equivalent or even an old rifle to get parts off.
    whats the bore damage that it needs honing?
    If your just giving it a dam good clean jb non embeding bore paste seems to be a well recommended product.
    You can probly get a replacement barrel if you wanted. Again try vaughans.