Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree311Likes

Thread: All things BSA

OUt of interest just looking through some old ads in my collection of NZ Wildlife magazines, in 1963 a Parker Hale Safari cost 47 pounds, a BSA Majestic cost 59 pounds and a Sako Forester cost 62 pounds.
    caberslash likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    Well, only by people who confused the ads I suppose. They were not sold or advertised as Hunters in NZ but the pictures of the rifles did look the same. Its probably the same as most people thinking all PArker Hales were "Safaris"".

This is the BSA Viscount, imperial etc. (This ad from 1957) Superceded by the BSA Majestic around 1959-60

This is the BSA Hunter from 1954. (They actually had "Hunter" stamped on the left side receiver wall.) The first BSA designed modern sporting rifle. Was only made in .222 (although someone said they had one in .22 Hornet once)

I see the top advert refers to the rifles collectively as BSA 'Hunting Rifle', so 'Hunting rifle' abbreviated to 'Hunter' ? that plus the trebly stamped 'Hunter' would do it. I know someone who had a Hornet too, God alone knows why when he could of bought a 222

In those days there was only the one BSA rifle, the BSA Hunter in .222. They didnt start making the others till about two years later, and they were marketed, as shown there, as Viscount, Imperial etc. The first rifle had Hunter written on it, and some people just conflated them all I suppose since the ads might have looked similiar. As I say, some people knew there more than one model, and some people thought they were all the same.

John Knibs only made it worse, because he made the same mistake in his book thinking the Viscount was called a "Hunter" But remember he didnt work at BSA, his father had. He has other mistakes as well.

John...one of my great regrets was not pinching the copy of old old magazine I had my hands on...it may have been wildlife...it had the origonal moose hunt reports, when they were shot in fiordland..it was that period in time...there was an add for CAC ammunition... I photocopied it but it got ruined in a house shift....
    cartoon picture of two maori chaps duck hunting.... script read
    a maori who lived in kaikoura
    ,said my shooting gets poorer and poorer
    ,his friend from waihi
    ,said use CAC,
    that will fix it py curry kiaora

it would be great to get a copy of that again..would frame it and keep it safe

oh the days of non PC advertising,when folks appreciated humour and did not get offended on others behalf.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    John...one of my great regrets was not pinching the copy of old old magazine I had my hands on...it may have been wildlife...it had the origonal moose hunt reports, when they were shot in fiordland..it was that period in time...there was an add for CAC ammunition... I photocopied it but it got ruined in a house shift....
    cartoon picture of two maori chaps duck hunting.... script read
    a maori who lived in kaikoura
    ,said my shooting gets poorer and poorer
    ,his friend from waihi
    ,said use CAC,
    that will fix it py curry kiaora

it would be great to get a copy of that again..would frame it and keep it safe

oh the days of non PC advertising,when folks appreciated humour and did not get offended on others behalf.
    If you know what year or number it was I could probably find it for you.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I see the top advert refers to the rifles collectively as BSA 'Hunting Rifle', so 'Hunting rifle' abbreviated to 'Hunter' ? that plus the trebly stamped 'Hunter' would do it. I know someone who had a Hornet too, God alone knows why when he could of bought a 222
    There was a period sort of around 1963 when the hornet was semi-popular for deer. What ever cullers used seeped into being trendy with recreational hunters and a few cullers used them. I recall them being Savages and Sportcos mainly. Maybe some early Fox's. I can still picture the blue pkts of Canadian hornet ammo. Imperial brand I think, in pkts of 50.
    Micky Duck, BSA270 and shananah like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If you know what year or number it was I could probably find it for you.
    it was when the moose was shot in fiordland... the first one I believe it was.... so VERY early editions
    Tahr likes this.

the govt cullers even used 22lr on deer.... but boffins in supply department provided suppressed rifles but supersonic ammunition...I believe the browning T Bolt was weapon supplied... recall reading article about it.... older culler was revisiting his old haunts and compared the two hunts.. back then with .22lr and now with what ever he was using...Abolt think it was...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    In those days there was only the one BSA rifle, the BSA Hunter in .222. They didnt start making the others till about two years later, and they were marketed, as shown there, as Viscount, Imperial etc. The first rifle had Hunter written on it, and some people just conflated them all I suppose since the ads might have looked similiar. As I say, some people knew there more than one model, and some people thought they were all the same.

John Knibs only made it worse, because he made the same mistake in his book thinking the Viscount was called a "Hunter" But remember he didnt work at BSA, his father had. He has other mistakes as well.
    The ad states that a BSA 'Hunting Rifle' won the Bisley sniper comp. Any info on this ?

Alot of the BSAs advertised on trademe don't have a model on them , whats the easiest way to externally tell a monarch/majestic apart from a cf2?
    Pack out heavy

A few tips for the id ing the later ones. Stock roll over cheek piece means a monarch or cf2, slanted white line spacer on forend means CF2. Smooth rounded bolt shroud is cf2 only. Monarch and cf2 both had rosewood forend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    paremata likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    A few tips for the id ing the later ones. Stock roll over cheek piece means a monarch or cf2, slanted white line spacer on forend means CF2. Smooth rounded bolt shroud is cf2 only. Monarch and cf2 both had rosewood forend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So this one for sale is likely a cf2? Had one careful owner, unfortunately the others don't appear to have given a shit about it
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...ing/3786138525
    Pack out heavy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    So this one for sale is likely a cf2? Had one careful owner, unfortunately the others don't appear to have given a shit about it
    The CF2 are all the same action length. Easiest ID is to see the actual bolt. The CF2 bolt has a bar on the side that rotates as the bolt is worked. It sits in the same position as the extractor claw assembly on a Mauser action
    paremata likes this.

I have an original buttplate in nice condition, fairly sure it came off my 7 x 57 Viscount , if someone genuinely needs it for a nice original rifle they have PM me
    Name:  9DD49DCE-A39D-4DAA-9B7A-735704A1B7E5.jpeg
Views: 235
Size:  2.52 MB
    erniec, BSA, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    Paremata, yes that is a cf2, a ruffy at that!
    paremata likes this.