Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Am I being a dick?

This looks like a rifle I owned several years ago, built by Din Collings. I used the base and rings that came with it and ran a vx3 scope, lovely shooter. If it has a 24" Shilen barrel and Timney trigger its the same rifle.
    Last edited by nor-west; 11-10-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Pull the project for sure.a month for a quick job should have been the first warning, losing the paperwork too is a clear sign they're not going to do it. While they might not have known about the misaligned holes, as the dealear it is their responsibility to fix within 3 months of purchase even on second hand as far as I know(maybe that's just cars).

The rear base holes are clearly misaligned. A reputable firm would correct the problem at no charge even if they did not do the job originally. It is not a big or expensive job to repair but does entail a little bit of skill. Plugging and redrilling is a perfectly acceptable method provided it is done properly. As the rear bridge is non-load bearing TIG welding and redrilling is also good, with the same proviso.

Seen a few m98's drilled pissed plenty of parker hales as well.

You are not being a dick
    A330driver likes this.

I think you are a very tolerant person FRT. Very unfortunate this has happened to you and a nice looking rifle. I would suggest you go for the refund and pick up your other gear. If they have stuffed you around for so long already without using proper ethics, then things are not likely to be different in the future. Who knows how well the job would be done, or when you would get your new purchase back. Be polite, as i am sure you already have been, and if there is no joy, then tell them you will see them in the consumers court. Good luck mate.
    FRST likes this.

Thats a nice looking rifle! You're not being a dick, but the dealer may never have known that the bases were on the piss, it may have worked perfectly for a previous owner with different rings or windage rings, so the responsibility for fixing it is a grey area as it is second hand. As gundoc said it can be fixed relatively easy by the right person, a little time and a little cash and all good. Or you could get the holes milled to a larger size, as properly done in a mill it should be able to be held on centre, buy another base or a blank base and have the larger holes made in that as well. I like those older classic wood blued rifles, and they look tidy with Weaver rings and the older Leupold M8 scopes, so I would be taking it to a competent gunsmith and getting it put right to use Weaver rings. And I'd be pulling my project rifle from the dealer and taking it to a competent gunsmith as well.
    Bol Tackshin and stevodog like this.

The easy/practical fix is to get some Burris Signature rings and use some offset inserts positioned horizontally to fix the alignment.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I recently had a project where they took a few months and lost the original job specs. Unfortunately they proceeded with specs they made up. They offered to redo it from scratch but could never come through with it. It was a case of good men in a company with shoddy governance and systems. Fortunately one employee got onto it and said " come around we need to give you your gun back as is".

Anyway, losing the job sheet is a fatal sign for the project and you have to pull it before they start any work.

Regarding the brno, ask yourself why you bought it and that will give you the answer.

Tough one. I would be pulling the project now and finding some one else.
    However also note the Gun smiths being busy with pinning mags etc just now.
    The second hand Bruno, I'm sort of in the buyer beware camp buy worth asking them anyway. They take it back or sell you a mount at a special price.
    Is it possible the scope you fitted is short of travel compared to whatever was previous on the rilfe.

I brought a Sav99 a couple of years back with a dodgy mount screw that I did not pickup.
    Sent it for a re-barrel and they picked it up. Can't remember if they plugged and re-tapped or just took it up a screw size and re-tapped.
    Z

@FRST what happened in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @FRST what happened in the end?
    Got the Leupold base with the windage screw. Sorted the whole windage deal. I’ll probably be paying for it when I pick up the other project, but who knows, maybe they’ll come to the party.

The rifle shoots well. The forend was a little long so I trimmed it back and installed a rosewood tip.

Name:  F6BBB147-1A66-4C08-8A61-B6D6CCA0B74F.jpeg
Views: 241
Size:  5.06 MB
    Tahr, Bryan, wsm junkie and 2 others like this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

man that just looks the shit!!!!!! is yours duplex or post and rail??? my one the same is post n rail,you are going to love using that in the bush/close range stuff.
    FRST likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    man that just looks the shit!!!!!! is yours duplex or post and rail??? my one the same is post n rail,you are going to love using that in the bush/close range stuff.
    It’s got a relatively rare reticle, halfway between a fine crosshair and the duplex. It’s hard to beat an M8 on a Mauser for looks.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."