Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone using a 45-70 and Hornady subs

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar

Anyone using a 45-70 and Hornady subs

Anyone using them?

What sort of noise level do you get

I heard a 450bm recently but it hard a bark (with a suppressor of course)

MB
    I couldn't decide between 45/70 and 300BLK for a subsonic setup using Hornady Sub-X (I don't reload). Went with 300BLK in the end as I thought it would be quieter. Turns out that the 300BLK Sub-X rounds are pretty loud even through a DPT suppressor with 6 baffles. They are not a quiet round and 45/70 would obviously be louder.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I couldn't decide between 45/70 and 300BLK for a subsonic setup using Hornady Sub-X (I don't reload). Went with 300BLK in the end as I thought it would be quieter. Turns out that the 300BLK Sub-X rounds are pretty loud even through a DPT suppressor with 6 baffles. They are not a quiet round and 45/70 would obviously be louder.
    Did you chrono them? They did 1142 average from my 16.5" so not subsonic. The powder is slow to help cycle naughty black guns, so there's more muzzle pressure than you'll get by loading them with a faster powder.
    Moa Hunter and MB like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

MB
    I don't own a chronograph and my barrel is 16.5", so that may be it. Previously, I thought they were subsonic because the sound was more of a loud whoosh than a crack if that makes sense, but I fired one recently and there was a definite crack. Guess I could compare to a different subsonic round. If they are going supersonic inconsistently, I may as well switch to a proper supersonic round. I have a box of FTX which I've yet to try.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    Yeah same reason for using the subx I don’t reload (yet)

These where running 950 ish also with a DPT suppressor

I use a 308 with factory subs and it’s pretty quiet; sometimes breaks the sound barrier

ebf
    Interesting thread this.

All things being equal, would a larger caliber sub be more noisy ?

Same speed (below sound barrier), same barrel length. If you could have same ratio of supressor volume compared to bore...

I have no idea, but it would make for an interesting research project...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Interesting thread this.

All things being equal, would a larger caliber sub be more noisy ?

Same speed (below sound barrier), same barrel length. If you could have same ratio of supressor volume compared to bore...

I have no idea, but it would make for an interesting research project...
    I suspect if you were to scale everything up properly to drop the muzzle pressure to the same level, the big bore would still be louder. The exit is still like 0.2 square inches on a 50cal hole vs 0.075 on an 8mm, so would that mean a 2.67x more powerful sound wave?
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Im trying cast bullets in my break barrel bergara tomorrow. No idea how slow ive got it to but ive loaded 37gns of 2207 and 400gn slugs

45grns of AR2208 with 400grn cast goes well....reading ADI data its going to be top end of the bottom tier pressure wise.
    not overly loud but having muzzle 30'' from the ears must help somewhat.
    black powder loads are quieter still,definately not the loud roar of superfast rounds.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Well if it helps any when I shoot my 45/70 with supersonic it echoes up the valley three times .....
    If I shoot subs but no suppressor it only echoes twice ......

(I don't have a suppressor for it)
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

400gr subs through a dpt is rather quiet

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    Im trying cast bullets in my break barrel bergara tomorrow. No idea how slow ive got it to but ive loaded 37gns of 2207 and 400gn slugs
    They should be around 1400 to 1500fps. A reduced load of 17 gr should be closer to the speed of sound but may produce a bit of unburnt powder due to less pressure. Have you tried the old std recipe of 10 grains of shotgun powder unique, blue dot etc?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I have a 44 mag that I use with 300 gr subs at 1025 ish.
    To decide on suppressor size I scaled up the same ratio as suppressor to grains of powder as a quiet 22 with subs.
    The result is a quiet 44 but not as quiet as a 22. There is a very noticeable echo or return of noise coming back from solid objects like hills compared to a 22. Fired straight up in the sky it is quiet.
    I would use a soft lead bullet at 950fps and minimise the amount of powder by using a fast powder as suggested above. This reduces the volume of gas that needs to be captured.

Brings into question also , with the size of the hole out the end of the supressor with large caliber rounds , how the much suppressor design internally could influence sound level .
    Could the internal brake designs like the Stealth (?) be more effective than non braked etc
    born to hunt - forced to work

44 mag is really 41cal if I remember right
    The case volume of the 450 And 47/70 work against it when suppressing
    44 is very noticeably quieter than 450bm
    300blk is a massive step up again

I slow everything down to about 850 to where things get real good but the bigger ones just boom a lot more

44 special in 44 mag is great and easy but 225 seems to be the upper end weight wise where the 45 cal can go as high as 510gr and probably more

A 44 mag with a fast twist would be a cool rig as a compromise, and Hand load some heavy cast hollow points

Either way the 45 cal would be awesome if you wanted to hunt elephant but for smaller stuff I’m getting full pass thru on almost all my shots with 300blk 190gr so any more energy will be going into the hill behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk