Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

Rock river make a really nice AR10, you could try putting your money there. Dont get me started on "top tier" and all that bullshit. Rock river uses its own unique reciever thread and barrel nut so changing out your handguard isnt like changing out an AR15 one, you will have to hunt around for one made for a Lar-8. DPMS is becoming the accepted pattern for what makes an AR10 though, so keep in mind that you cant just swap parts around from one brand of AR10 to another like an AR15. Alot of stuff will swap out but you have to be careful.
    The Lar-8 has the best bolt release in the business, if the AR15 was going to be revamped it would incorporate this design. The Lar's also use both metric and inch FAL mags which you will find more of over here than AR10 pattern mags thanks in part to the number of SLR's in circulation.
    Yes they are quite a heavy piece of gear, even the carbines weigh in on the chunky side but they are a pleasure to shoot. The weight seems to be in the thickness of the revievers and the bolt is farking insanely heavy! The two stage trigger isnt bad although it isnt good either, but thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by Towely; 05-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Bet they ain't cheap either....

sent from my G3 using tapatalk 2

RRA had to start making their own mags for the LAR -8, cuz most of the FAL/SLR mags floating around wouldn't work with the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    RRA had to start making their own mags for the LAR -8, cuz most of the FAL/SLR mags floating around wouldn't work with the rifle.
    That was early on in the peace beavis. That issue seems to have been resolved if you take everything you read in yank forums as gospel. Ive tried 15-20 different metric and inch mags from used to abused to wont function in an SLR and still havnt had a malfunction from the Lar, but thats just my experience. Some other guys i know with various versions of the same gun seem to like theirs also and havnt had any troubles either. Ive seen more than a few AR15's having trouble in the past. Interesting to note though, i obtained some polymer Lar mags from a friend brand new and there was a note in the bag saying something along the lines of "due to ever changing design techniques you may have to file off this piece here and here so mag will work in your rifle blah blah blah..." Well the mags wont fit in the rifle without running a file over them so i guess its just easier to stick with the old fashioned steel FAL jobbys that are floating around.

To get one you will be looking at about $2500 if you are really lucky or anything out to $4000 if you are really unlucky.

I haven't followed the issue in a while. I believe Armalite makes some AR10's that run off of M14 mags. Seen them advertised here around the $2200 mark. CMMG also make lowers that run off G3 mags, for DPMS uppers.

can you import AR magazines on an import permit ? is there a restriction on what you can order or import permits or basically put it down and hope it gets approved ?

Glu
    I herd there are some DPMS 308 oracles about 2-3 weeks away

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    can you import AR magazines on an import permit ? is there a restriction on what you can order or import permits or basically put it down and hope it gets approved ?
    If you mean AR15 mags, good luck actually finding some in the USA!
    Welcome to Sako club.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    If you mean AR15 mags, good luck actually finding some in the USA!
    My guy in Texas wants to buy ALL the new 30rders I have for $80us ea as thats the going price at the mo where he is

Imagine having a couple of presses punching out magazine parts and a small assembly line, you'd make a killing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    My guy in Texas wants to buy ALL the new 30rders I have for $80us ea as thats the going price at the mo where he is

He lives near a lot of people that don't have the internet?

Israel makes ar mags too, might be worth looking into.

sent from my G3 using tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    That was early on in the peace beavis. That issue seems to have been resolved if you take everything you read in yank forums as gospel. Ive tried 15-20 different metric and inch mags from used to abused to wont function in an SLR and still havnt had a malfunction from the Lar, but thats just my experience. Some other guys i know with various versions of the same gun seem to like theirs also and havnt had any troubles either. Ive seen more than a few AR15's having trouble in the past. Interesting to note though, i obtained some polymer Lar mags from a friend brand new and there was a note in the bag saying something along the lines of "due to ever changing design techniques you may have to file off this piece here and here so mag will work in your rifle blah blah blah..." Well the mags wont fit in the rifle without running a file over them so i guess its just easier to stick with the old fashioned steel FAL jobbys that are floating around.

To get one you will be looking at about $2500 if you are really lucky or anything out to $4000 if you are really unlucky.
    The factory steel mag (FN FAL pattern) that came with my LAR-8 would consistanly double feed rounds. Importer gave me another try and same thing happened. Used an SLR mag and problem solved. Also swapped a SLR follower into the factory mag and this also fixed the problem.

Quick question : BVAC.223 55Gr ammo. Remanufactured brass case OK for my AR or would you steer away from it ? Bought it without realising it was reman.. Doh ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Quick question : BVAC.223 55Gr ammo. Remanufactured brass case OK for my AR or would you steer away from it ? Bought it without realising it was reman.. Doh ..
    Its good stuff, mainly LC 09 brass.
    Fire away with it to your hearts content.
    Welcome to Sako club.