Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

pick up the brass too, lake city brass is ok stuff

Roger and Roger. I saw that in my book no warrantee if using reman ammo so thought Id check. Cheers.. Not that Id be able to get said awarantee any how Id say but
    do not want to damage anything..

I think thats just to cover dumasses overloading their handloads then trying to claim when it goes bang

I have two quick release mounts on scopes One is Burriss AR 332 QR the other VX3 4.5 x 14 or something . Both on my AR.Me and 30calterry put the VX high mount off my AR on his new Rem700R to check we were gonna keep it ha ha max turns adjustment off one piece mount cos straight off my AR and we got groups that said keep this gun . So then put it back on my AR tonight and three people shot a 40 mm disc at 100 mtrs three times each and so after that THIS says man there are some accurate ARs out there and I have one of them 12mm plate hit from 100 mtrs exactly in the same hole drilled a hole right through and that was the 12 year old he he PS three shots at 100 with this AR = 2 holes no matter what you do. Then we walked down mates farm and had around 50 ducks fly a couple mtrs above us to go in his pond. Life is in order to night.

Thought these things were spos to be utterly reliable, since venturing into these threads all seem to read about its bits not fitting or being "crap" gas problems feed problems etc etc etc.

So are military style semis actually as reliable as an axe or a temperamental bitch, serious question.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Thought these things were spos to be utterly reliable, since venturing into these threads all seem to read about its bits not fitting or being "crap" gas problems feed problems etc etc etc.

So are military style semis actually as reliable as an axe or a temperamental bitch, serious question.

They are generally very reliable with quality ammo.

Having said that I have seen a few choke at 3 gun matches and it always has been caused by dodgy reloads or magazine problems.

AR's are really Mecano for Big Boys
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Mine has only misfed once, when a mate didn't let go of the charging handle, he tried to ride it home.
    No jams, no gas issues and no ill fitting parts, as I got a decent quality make straight up.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Same, buy a 'good one' and dont fuck around with it.....because its 'modular', guys just have to play around........does what it says on the box.....no issues with mine....get ready for the shitstorm!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Like the others say. Use it, dont fuc with it too much. Get a reasonably good one from the start (Plenty of guys on here will tell you what not to buy) and you ll
    come back and say man that is an awesome firearm to have. Scarey accurate and so easy to shoot.. Go on buy one or borrow one and have a play..
    I have not altered anything on mine so dont have any reliability issues but I reckon if you use good parts it wouldnt matter any how.
    Grue likes this.

Started getting jams one day trying out reloads... bolt would come forward after firing and jam on the next live case. Turns out was as simple as me making my OAL too long for the magazine and they weren't stacking nicely. Smooth as a greased up ferret after figured that out.

Only other problem I've seen with someone else is they were overly gentle putting the magazine in, and it wasn't locking into place properly. Of course trying to chamber a round didn't go very well. Told him to stop treating her like a first date and treat her a bit rough, and away he goes.

So yeah, it it goes wrong, it's usually cos of the user, not he gun Bound to be someone near you that wants to show off their toy and give you a go?

So its like buy a Sako and just shoot it then.
    What's a good brand then?

kokako likes this.

OOppsy wrong question now the fun will start.. HA HA Mine is STI blimmin expensive but heaps of extras like suppressed, after market trigger and so on.
    Bought first one I handled just cos it looked and felt good and got away with it...
    Spanners put a list up in the AR thread which was pretty helpful I thought..
    Get a nice light one with shortish barrell..

Name:  IMG_0168S.JPG
Views: 619
Size:  274.8 KB

You are welcome to have a try with any of mine if you like.
    Have a 16 inch suppressed and a 20 inch comp'ed
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

When you say "military style" that's sort of meaningless as far as quality/function/anything. You could say "mil-spec" which has more meaning. Most of the ARs we see here aren't made to mil-spec. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not functional. Mil-spec isn't "the best spec" but it is at least specifications which are solid and reliable, and not "whatever random shit olympic arms puts out this week"

Good brand is a can of worms, just google "<x brand> problems" before buying anything. People love to say that a lot of the parts come from the same basic manufacturers which is true at some level but there are varying levels of QC in assembly as well as value and level of features.
    Scouser likes this.

Cheers Mike, will have to do that one day.
    I had a bit of a squirt with a styer once but that's all I have ever had to do with one.