Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Only A2 style pistol grip is regulated or any kind of pistol grip? Because it won't be so much of an issue to me since I would probably use a magpul MIAD grip or a tango down grip anyway. Without collapsible stock is a huge drawback however, I would definitely use one if I could, but I can still make do with the new magpul carbine fixie.
    Vulcan....its really best to just wait till the 'law' passes....its all opinions at the moment, 'he said that' & 'ive heard this'.......im waiting till then, but im looking at the AK47 options.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Hi This is all good information , but I still have questions 1) is the CJA a POS or is gunshitty just charging too much 2) has anyone seen or shot the Ruger SR 556 ?

The Gun shitty one is horrible. Well the one i have played with anyway. They are well over priced and are made cheaply. For 2K you can't go past one of Digits NEA15s on nzar15.com. The ruger is a nice gun and you are getting a good adjustable piston system with that too. I had a play with one in the states when I was over there and was impressed. Good accuracy, reliable and clean to run. (Only put 500 round through it tho) You can't go wrong with either.

whats the weight of stock standard NEA AR 14.5" out of interests sake?

NEA's website has 6lb 10oz (2.99kg) listed as the weight. That is with a collapsable stock. So give or take a few grams for the fixed magpul stock.

Thanks for that I was liking the look of the ruger as I'm thinking of suppressing it at some stage - just don't know anyone who has shot one

The rugers are heavy as fuck especially the vt. Like, lar8 elite operator heavy which isnt cool for a 223. The ruger i played with last week had an upper with the splintered A forging mark. The same forging marked uppers that ontarget sold me recently but i doubt they were finished by ruger but theres a little observation i made.

If you are looking at surpressing then get an nea or something lighter, you will regret chucking a can on an already heavy ruger especially if you want to carry it around. Buy a jp adjustable gasblock from brownells and chuck that on to regulate the gas. The low profile one they do is $99.99 and the non low pro is about 60 bucks i think.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

bas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
    Thanks for that I was liking the look of the ruger as I'm thinking of suppressing it at some stage - just don't know anyone who has shot one
    I recently bought a SR-556VT. But haven't had the time to shoot it yet. From the looks of things it will be some time before I do get the chance.

On the coming change of regulations the news so far is:

The Forum members met with Police yesterday. Below is a summary of the main points.

The Regulations will come into effect on the 11th of December. There will be a 6 month Grace period for owners to either convert to E or comply with A.
    Two new forms have been constructed for the purpose of moving an A to E one for those already with an E endorsement and one for those that do not have an E endorsement but wish to obtain one. It would appear that you still need justify why you need an E endorsement. From what I can fathom ownership of the rifle itself may not be reason enough.

Police will roll out a full communication plan in the next few weeks.

It would appear that there are a number of thumb hole stocks coming to market. GC will not be the only option.

During the Grace Period the Police will take a consultative approach but if you still have your pistol grip attached to the rifle and cannot demonstrate that you are waiting on an appropriate A cat stock or that you have started the E cat process then the Police will be looking to "discuss things with you". (Take that as you will). Just like having a large capacity magazine on your premises ownership of a pistol grip will now attract the same type of interest from Police if you do not have an endorsed licence. My take on this is if you decide to stay A cat don't just throw your old pistol grip in the draw, get rid of it.

A semi automatic without any pistol grip is A cat, however Police will take an interest in your reason for having the firearm in this condition.

The current situation with Import permits was discussed and I made it clear that it made doing business with US based suppliers can be difficult as they want documentation. Police agreed to look at how to help here. We asked if Customs could be at the next meeting so we could make them aware of our concerns.

It was made clear that this whole pistol grip change was being driven politically. Again take that as you will.

It was interesting to get an insight into Police mindset. They want All front line Police to be easily able to define A from E at a glance. Why? It may be related to the fact that Police have been very successful in upping their arrest rates at car crash sites and domestic incidents; by interviewing all onlookers and checking their details and their vehicles lots of people are being caught for things like outstanding warrants, unpaid fines etc.

My take on it is that Police may be looking to enforce a higher level of compliance when it comes to the way Firearms owners act. This is of course just my opinion and I could be wrong but the mindset seems to indicate a strong drive for compliance.
    From the sports shooters forums

Spear AR Mags, Just received mine from the courier, well made and easy to load and unload. Bolt lock back on the last round works well, the 69 grain load fits easily in the mag. Off to the range this arvo for a function test.
    Vapour likes this.

Range test with Spear Mags new AR mag and it functioned flawlessly, put about 35 rounds through it and it works perfect. I don't have a magpul to compare with but for $75 its a great buy when you think the crazy prices I've seen the magpul for ($299) H & F. $179 else where. Spear mags are onto a good thing here just hope they can keep up with demand once the word gets out.

Just got a new handguard for my R15.....

It's a KE Arms 12.5" free float system. Brought it in from the USofA.
    I think I was lucky as it was marked as "metal part" so it got though without any issues.
    FletchNZ likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Here's a pic of it all together...
    seano, Gunzrrr and EK9132 like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

I do recommend some rail hand guards. As the rails are cheese graters on the hands and the guards will also protect the rail edges
    I have Troy ones on my AR, bottom and sides.
    Welcome to Sako club.

That's one sexy R15 Cambo! Ever think about having it all hydroprinted camo?