Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    I had an Nea break one as well.
    What was the cause? After how much use?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    What was the cause? After how much use?
    Digit might be able to chime in here, but as far as I know it was only the very early 1st gen NEA's that had any issues with this. I know personally of one NEA bolt that spat a bolt lug, but that was at a reasonably high round count, and losing lugs is a hazard with AR bolts from a variety of manufacturers from what I've read online. The great thing is that unlike all the other brands in NZ, NEA has local support so replacement bolts came out overnight under warranty.

I've got a gen2 NEA and I must have put at least 5,000 rounds through it without any issues at all, and from what I've heard this isn't a problem on their newer rifles.

Thanks Scaggly.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

A friend had a bolt lug fail on a Gen 1 NEA after 500 odd rounds maybe, all suppressed. Was replaced quickly. I typically prefer to buy brands that individually high pressure then MPI test their bolts, for that reason. It takes a long time for a brand to shake a bad reputation in the AR world.

The NEA's have MPI and HPT in their specs now
    Muzzleloaders have big balls

Quote Originally Posted by redbang View Post
    The NEA's have MPI and HPT in their specs now
    They always claimed "HP and MPI tested" but it was disingenuous as it was only batch testing ie 1 from a batch of however many, which not as good of a QC test as individually testing each bolt (but cheaper!)

Anyone running the Oceania defense samson suppressor and samson rail combo? Having a few issues with massive poi shift 12inch low 5inch left, 6moa after install and only just stopped it contacting due to barrel whip after a big missio with the file taking some meat out from inside the fore end. Any ideas?

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

res
    Is the barrel nut done up properly?
    A mate has that setup with no dramas whatsoever and I have another of his cans with no problem
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    They always claimed "HP and MPI tested" but it was disingenuous as it was only batch testing ie 1 from a batch of however many, which not as good of a QC test as individually testing each bolt (but cheaper!)
    I was under the impression that the HPT process was basically subjecting the bolt to a proof test, which also has the effect of potentially shortening the overall life of the bolt by quite a margin. I read that the US army found that bolts (even HPT/MPI tested) will begin to crack at 5,000 rounds, and will generally break at 10,000 rounds.

If bolts tend to let go at the same time, I'm not sure if the benefits of HPT stack up, but interested in others views.
    Last edited by scaggly; 20-06-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Damned phone

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post
    I was under the impression that the HPT process was basically subjecting the bolt to a proof test, which also has the effect of potentially shortening the overall life of the bolt by quite a margin. I read that the US army found that bolts (even HPT/MPI tested) will begin to crack at 5,000 rounds, and will generally break at 10,000 rounds.

If bolts tend to let go at the same time, I'm not sure if the benefits of HPT stack up, but interested in others views.
    It picks up the bolts with faults that will fail early, well before end of service life. As I understand it. Failing at a predictable interval after many thousand rounds is ok (wearing out), failing at random with low round counts because of metal/machining flaws isn't

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    MPI only picks up external faults.
    It will only identify a fault that would be apparent via failure in the 1st few firings.
    It's great for selling things to people...
    govt contract, service, sniper and tactical work too.
    scaggly likes this.

It prevents that failure in the first few firings - ie you're not buying a pre-broken gun

Interesting stuff. At the gunsmiths yesdy with new toy, borescoped, and found that it had been fired. Not many he thought, perhaps 10 rounds. So maybe some proof/functional testing goes on as well.
    Muzzleloaders have big balls

Out of curiosity (and having a relatively quiet morning ahead), I went and googled it. The best discussion I found was this one HPT and MPI: still viable and necessary or outdated bureaucracy? - Page 15

In a nutshell, some rate the processes citing mil-spec, some don't. A couple of manufacturers chip in, and their rationale is that if the bolt is manufactured using quality steel, quality manufacturing etc., then there is no benefit to MPI or HPT, and that destructive testing (HPT) only reduces the life of the bolt.

Others (but not other manufacturers that I could tell) disagree with this view, but at the end of the day some fairly big names in ARs don't think either process adds much value.

I'm now better educated than I was an hour ago, and it is pretty much settled for me that the two processes aren't needed as long as you're buying parts from a reputable manufacturer.

Of course, if you're machining your own bolt, then some testing might be in order

Quote Originally Posted by redbang View Post
    Interesting stuff. At the gunsmiths yesdy with new toy, borescoped, and found that it had been fired. Not many he thought, perhaps 10 rounds. So maybe some proof/functional testing goes on as well.
    Yep that is interesting. I got a new AR recently and that had obvious signs of having been fired.