Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That would look out of place in a Maimai.
    So does my saiga 12 with eotech but as it's legal and I get more ducks than my buddy's who cares?
    EK9132 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Gidday, have been reading through this thread - alot of good info here along with some very knowledgeable members.

I've got a slightly over gassed ar since fitting a suppressor, breed is: NEA-15 12.5" carbine, had a custom Maximus suppressor fitted by Robbie Tiffen.

Recoil impulse isn't terrible but the telltale signs of overgassing are there, spent cartridges are clipping the ejection port window on the way out and scraping on the deflector. Also the spent cases are landing at the One/Two O'clock position.

Ideally, an adjustable gas block is gonna be the way to go but I heard removing the hand guard on NEA's isn't pleasant & I don't have any armourer's tools as of yet.

So... I've ordered a Spikes Tactical ST-2 heavy buffer from NZAR15 to help mitigate the reciprocating rate and to help with my gassy rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with the heavy buffers? Or the Spikes one in particular? Is this a good resolution?

Any advice is much appreciated

Regards
    Sasquatch

res
    The heavy buffer may help but it's probably not going to fix the problem completely.
    And yours still doing more dirty gas them needed into your receiver-bad for both cleaning and potentially gas into your face.

My advice would be to bite the bullet so to speak and buy and adjustable gas block,the nea handgard is fine to take on and of without any special tools as it just clamps onto a std barrel nut that you don't need to touch(unless there is an updated version I haven't seen)
    Using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Saquatch
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi thanks for the response res,

Will see how the new heavy buffer goes when it arrives, if still an issue will probably invest in adj gas block. Any recommendations?

Not sure what gen my NEA is but purchased the rifle July this year, think they are up to gen3 now. I was told by Mr Hardy himself a wee while back not to remove the handgaurd as you will most likely f#*k it up... ?

As for gas in the face, not an issue, runs like a champ. Would the slower reciprocating rate aided from the ST2 buffer help reduce wear on the BCG etc from the rifle being slightly overgassed?

Cheers

What length buffer tube you got bro?

Quote Originally Posted by 40bung View Post
    What length buffer tube you got bro?
    Just had a look on their website, states it is a "6-Position Carbine Stock - Milspec" So would be the carbine length I pressume

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Just had a look on their website, states it is a "6-Position Carbine Stock - Milspec" So would be the carbine length I pressume
    Ah, all good then man.

Quote Originally Posted by 40bung View Post
    Ah, all good then man.
    If i had of said rifle length, it would have been a *face-palm* moment lol

Yeah it would have hah. Just a r.a.k but good too see not required. Chur.

My NEA is with Robbie currently, where he is making the factory gas block an adjustable one amongst other things. Not sure how much its going to cost but I'll post some photos and results when I get it back this week I think.

You could have a go at making the block adjustable yourself if you have access to a drill press

Yeah just asked him to do it while it was getting other stuff done. Will be doing my own on the next one Saved a good thread from these forums on the how to.

nzfubz, I'll be interested to see how it goes I may go down that path too, as to what Beavis suggested, The only access I have to a drill press would be through my local gunsmith.

Be curious to see what sort of price he would charge changing the factory GB to an adj one

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    nzfubz, I'll be interested to see how it goes I may go down that path too, as to what Beavis suggested, The only access I have to a drill press would be through my local gunsmith.

Be curious to see what sort of price he would charge changing the factory GB to an adj one
    Any engineer could do it.

Drill hole, thread, insert grubscrew, find correct setting then put some threadlocker in it.

Never done one but there can't be much more to it than that. Could even get away with a standard drill if you're careful enough.