Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

are 10 rounders still ecat? i thought there was some change in the law regarding 10 round mags but never found out exactly what it was.

res
    Still e cat, but you can now have a mag that was made/looks to hold ten that is restricted to 7 on a cat, in the past if it looked to hold over seven it was deemed e cat.
    Using Tapatalk

AR15 ammo tests

target-shooting-23-12-2014-stag-mod4.pdf

The Barnaul stringed vertically, suggesting the projectiles are OK? but the powder charge is off? Tula shot all over the place. Both the Belmont ammo shot fine, ADI SMK shot very well but $2 a go v 55cents for the Belmont. Limitations is my eye sight I think, best I could shoot at was 50yds, I need to fit a scope.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Still e cat, but you can now have a mag that was made/looks to hold ten that is restricted to 7 on a cat, in the past if it looked to hold over seven it was deemed e cat.
    and if you buy a CMMG conversion 22LR kit make sure the mag doesnt look like its a 30round 223 mag holding 10 22LR rounds.

Barnaul 55gr or 62gr

Barnaul was, 223 Barnaul 62gr FMJ

tula was, 223 Tula 55gr Full Metal Jacket

The barnaul FMJs did well enough for me to want to try a few handloads on the projectile to see if it improves, cheap enough. The only ammo I had problems with on manually closing the bolt 2 out of 3 times was barnaul steel case btw, it did auto feed without an issue though. The Belmont, tula and ADi fed flawlessly every time. I had 2 belmont loads 55gr fmj seconds and 62gr speer both shot well given my eyesight. Im going to buy a cheap scope though to shoot at 100m before I do anything else, 50m is a bit close to tell for me.

dp.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Attachment 32736

The Barnaul stringed vertically, suggesting the projectiles are OK? but the powder charge is off? Tula shot all over the place. Both the Belmont ammo shot fine, ADI SMK shot very well but $2 a go v 55cents for the Belmont. Limitations is my eye sight I think, best I could shoot at was 50yds, I need to fit a scope.
    Hi everyone, hello there @steven,
    So, I used American Eagle to break in my Stag model 6 and since I swap for Hornady 55gr sp brass cases and the accuracy at 100mts is as follow.
    There are 3 shooters in the photo, first from left me, a friend and then my partner. My group is a 10 shots and the Middle is 5 and right(my partner) 3.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  654.5 KB

I think it is an option.
    Cheers
    Mac
    steven likes this.

Yep I want to try that American Eagle but frankly I think until I get a scope so I can do 100yds reliably I'm not going to learn much more except what is really bad and that was the Tula and probably the barnaul as a complet cartridge, the projectile might be Ok and since its cheap its worth buying one pack. This was more of a run the barrel in and have some fun exercise. I also shot various 22LR I will put those up tomorrow, I forgot to today. The Highland high velocity did the best and its $10 for 50 which isnt bad.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

22LR CMMG conversion Stag Model 4

22lr-target-shooting-23-12-2014-stag-mod4.pdf

I would say the highland "won" on accuracy and is cheaper (2/3rds) than the lapua HV which was second and the highland had no feed or eject issues over 40 rounds, lapua HV failed to eject once in 30. Highland was copper "washed" so easy to handle while the lapua was lubbed and a swine to feed into the mag. I did have Lapua std and that failed to clear every shot, the CMMG blowback mechanism needs enough oomph to work I think, std or subs probably dont have enough.
    Last edited by steven; 06-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.

Belmont FMJ 55gr v 62gr FMJ Ammo

A3-belmont-target-shooting-23-12-2014-stag-mod4.pdf

Unfortunately I forgot to mark which is which for sure...doh, will have to retest, but the Belmont 55gr FMJ seconds was dirt cheap, cheaper than barnaul and tula.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Help please. Can't decide on an ALG trigger or a cmmg I think 2 stage?. ALG trigger milspec pull weight. Cmmg 3.5 pound. Not competition just hunting. My other rifles have 2 pound pull but they are bolt action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

res
    Do you prefer one or two stage triggers?
    Personally I would go for the cmmg two stage as mil spec trigger pull sucks sweaty monkey balls IMHO if you have other options
    steven likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Never tried one to be honest. I just like the idea of a lower pull weight. Think the reviews I found were gen 1 triggers and they weren't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is ALG exportable? I thought they were not?