Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Has anyone else had issues with the A cat SPEAR mags? - Mine are a relatively tight fit in my aero precision lower and every two or three rounds they release themselves from the mag well. Don't have any issues with pmags or other metal mags

Yep Ive had to do a bit of surgery on two of my Spear mags so they'd fit. They were real tight so just sanded them back a bit till they went in and out easy. They have been pretty reliable other than that...

I haven't shoot as much i would like with my AR lately as it is just coming back from a little of a "surgery", however, i have 3 spear mags and they work pretty well on my StagArms. I hope i can shoot "a lot" from tomorrow onwards so then i can give a better feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    5 rnd?

teflon?
    I took that comment back, they were SHIT when I shot them on Sunday, 5 round teflon, yes.

@Jexla what type of issues did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I've been using a DPT can without the rear bushing at all for months, it doesn't really Do anything

Me too, just end up with heaps of twigs and crap down the back, but easy enough to clean when I take it off

Quote Originally Posted by huntingkiwi View Post
    @Jexla what type of issues did you have?
    Failure to feeds, misfeeds.

Tools not Toys
    Been wondering lately what part/parts of an AR are considered to be the firearm by NZ law? See a lot of 80% lowers in the states, and also there was a post the other day about breaking an AR down in order to legally store it easily while away from your normal storage. Whats the go here in NZ, O'wise ones?
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

AR Thread

Just a heads up to anyone with Samson rails or other gear, I was after a few small pieces for my rail and contacted them direct, a lady Cathleen replies and she's awesome. Sling point and bipod adapter shipping to me tomorrow I went with the 10inch and shortened to 14.5 barrel so the sonic fit (going back a few pages)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bernie and grunzter like this.

Tried 3 of the Brownells 5 round mags. None of them work.
    steven likes this.

Brownells sent me 4 non-teflon coated mags dated 1 / 14 for free, after the 1st 4 dated 6 /14 didnt work at all. I have not been able to get up to Kaitoke yet to try them, but I bought 2 more OEM stag mags gunsnz. I tried cutting own the spring on 1 but after 3 turns cut off is still mostly jammed and the follower just kept tilting and jamming that way.

Looking for recommendations on a front tube for an (AR rifle ie 18inch plus barrel) and sling mounts. So first off I'd like a front grip/rail/tube that is fairly light weight and suitable to shoot with a sling. I need the front lower of it to be able to attach a bipod to, or a quick detach sling mount so a short pic rail. I dont want a bulky and weighty quad rail. At the back I have a rifle tube so I need something that will clamp onto that to give my a quick detach sling mount point. Ive seen one in the US somewhere but I cant remember where, options in NZ?

Midwest Industries from digit. Best value by far and very nice.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Midwest Industries from digit. Best value by far and very nice.
    + 1

the midwest is very nice and digit has them at a fair price. I have the 10 inch Gen 2 SS. The slick sides are good as you can have as many or as few rails (my preference) as you like on it. Nice and light, finish is good and unlike some rails I tried, it isn't an absolute mare to install so that the top rails are in alignment (if you're planning on fitting it yourself).

What stock are you running? - If it's a compatible one, I have a QD sling mount sitting around that I bought by mistake that you can have for the cost of sending it
    steven likes this.