Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree268Likes

Thread: AR Thread

I stayed away form the Brownells mags thank goodness, went for the Lancers - steel lipped, poly body design, very happy with them.
    Feed flawlessley, drop easily and nice and grippy when handling them.
    Welcome to Sako club.

got the adjustable gas block installed and the can screwed on today. rifle is cycling with the block almost closed.
    steven likes this.

Had some fun with the PMC bronze line ammo today. Dialling targets out to 550 with the Leupold mark AR and am happy as

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a nice range of hills that one..

Didn't spot any roos to tumble?

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    It's a nice range of hills that one..

Didn't spot any roos to tumble?
    Nailed the one I did see on the run but was pretty relaxed today, but yes very nice country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StrikerNZ likes this.

Hello everyone, hope the "long" weekend is going well to you all.
    A few weeks ago i enquire regards what was the "best" option to "remedy" the "maybe" over gas" in my Stag model6. I have suppressed it and everything still works beautifully, however, i start to hear that buffer spring sound in my stock as i release a shot (stock is an AIL "A" cat). I felt it also got a little rough during the shooting so accuracy has been compromised as well.
    Everyone who reply to my question suggest the adjustable gas block but i am thinking seriously in just a heavier buffer, so my question is…

What is the opinion you guys who has that many AR's in the safe and have upgraded and or modified it regards the two options i mention here, Gas block or heavier buffer?

Thank you in advance for the attention.

Mac

My options for heavy buffer are Spikes Tactical ST3 (5.4oz) or Heavy Buffers | Products | HSS Tungsten AR15 Carbine Buffer

A rifle buffer (that you currently have in your AIL stock) is already about the same weight as a T3 buffer (Rifle is 5.2 oz, T3 is 5.4 oz). The heavy buffers only work in carbine receiver extensions, and are only heavier when compared to the standard 3.0 oz carbine buffer.

Even with a carbine receiver extension, switching to heavy buffer won't fix over gassing from a suppressor. A suppressor will increase bolt velocity way more than a heavy buffer can reduce it.

I hear my spring every shot .....is it meant to be quiet ? .... on another note was next to a guy on the range yesterday and he was shooting norinco 5.56 .... ammo , holy crap was it loud !!!!! .....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I hear my spring every shot .....is it meant to be quiet ? .... on another note was next to a guy on the range yesterday and he was shooting norinco 5.56 .... ammo , holy crap was it loud !!!!! .....
    no its not meant to be quiet, I never here it anymore. You can buy a JP unit which is silent but pricey to solve nothing
    steven and Banana like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Im looking at getting a https://nzar15.com/store/index.php?i...roller=product but in 12.5" barrel.
    Anything that I should add to it as a basic quick point and shoot ??
    I have a Ruger s/s .223 compact but setup for long shots and bolt action (This Rifle is for sale by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Hello everyone, hope the "long" weekend is going well to you all.
    A few weeks ago i enquire regards what was the "best" option to "remedy" the "maybe" over gas" in my Stag model6. I have suppressed it and everything still works beautifully, however, i start to hear that buffer spring sound in my stock as i release a shot (stock is an AIL "A" cat). I felt it also got a little rough during the shooting so accuracy has been compromised as well.
    Everyone who reply to my question suggest the adjustable gas block but i am thinking seriously in just a heavier buffer, so my question is…

What is the opinion you guys who has that many AR's in the safe and have upgraded and or modified it regards the two options i mention here, Gas block or heavier buffer?

Thank you in advance for the attention.

Mac
    Heavier buffers are for M4s only? I think the rifle just has one weight? Adjustable would be what I would do as the less omph you have to deal with the more accurate you should be.

My Stag model4 boings occasionally, put a bit of heavy grease on the spring?
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Pull ya spring out, get a handful of grease and slather it with the stuff
    Messy but it works

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    dogmatix, Beaker and PERRISCICABA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Pull ya spring out, get a handful of grease and slather it with the stuff
    Messy but it works
    or take off your muffs, you won't hear the S..p..r...o...i..n..g then infact you wont hear FA after the first shot
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Heavier buffers are for M4s only? I think the rifle just has one weight?
    They're for any AR with a carbine receiver extension, but shorter gas systems are more likely to need them for reliable extraction.
    The rifle buffer has 5 weights inside it.
    steven likes this.