Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: AR15 pending rule changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I agree steven. first you buy the sako hunting rifle then you buy the ar15
    Actually I think the first thing is a good (enough) FTR gun (or 2), then do the Deer stalkers hunting course...then get a sako!

Actually I will probably do their course this spring, my eldest is very keen to do it just for the experience.

what the hell is a FTR gun.
    veitnamcam and PerazziSC3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

The car argument hardly works as they aren't used or designed to commit mass killings, personally I couldn't care less if they restricted all civilian vehicles to 110km/h, they do it with trucks at 90 and buses at 100 in Europe. There is no "need" to go faster and "wanting" to isn't a good enough reason as it endangers others including the people who have to pick up your pieces lying on the road.
    Whoa, there!! Since when are sporting rifles designed to commit mass killings? If you don't like ARs, then fair enough, don't buy one. But don't buy into the hyperbole of the ignorant who promote gun hysteria either.

At the end of the day all guns are dangerous, that is why we're all responsible adults who take great care with firearms.

ETA. Apologies if this sounds a bit grumpy, am at home today with toothache, so normal thought filters aren't working at their best.
    Last edited by scaggly; 18-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    Cyclist, FletchNZ, mikee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post
    Whoa, there!! Since when are sporting rifles designed to commit mass killings? If you don't like ARs, then fair enough, don't buy one. But don't buy into the hyperbole of the ignorant who promote gun hysteria either.

At the end of the day all guns are dangerous, that is why we're all responsible adults who take great care with firearms.

Ohh that's about the most sensible , common sense reply i have seen on this topic..
    steven likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I suppose you can argue all day either way but at the end of the day they aren't saying you can't have them, just if you want them there is an extra level of vetting and increased security. I personally see no problem with that, I don't know what the big deal is.

You want the toys, get the endorsement, job done. I'm sure an extra level of vetting is a good thing when concerning rifles of this nature.

The car argument hardly works as they aren't used or designed to commit mass killings, personally I couldn't care less if they restricted all civilian vehicles to 110km/h, they do it with trucks at 90 and buses at 100 in Europe. There is no "need" to go faster and "wanting" to isn't a good enough reason as it endangers others including the people who have to pick up your pieces lying on the road.
    I don't use my guns to commit mass killings? So they're not used or designed for that. Look at the end result of what happens with the item, not a nebulous theoretical idea of what it was designed for. Fast cars going fast on public roads dangerously result in people dying. Pistol grips on a rifle result in... people having cool guns and enjoying using them?

The problem I have is with what this thread was started about: changing pistol grips back to E. it's bullshit emotive legislation based on fear of a cosmetic feature that has no actual benefit and is just going to inconvenience and cost law abiding firearms owners.
    mikee and scaggly like this.

Orig question was kinda anyone know the result of law changes proposed or coming or whatever. Sounds like answer has been delayed some what. Yeehaa worry about it later. Be prepared to get E cat if need to. If it becomes law such is life and all the rest of your firearms in an E cat safe will be safer and harder to remove by thieves etc Just looks like this convo is going no where now . We can debate it for ever but why bother it ll become "political". If anyone does hear anything concrete please let us all know

"To these old-timers, the AR-15 just didn’t seem like a “hunting rifle” in any meaningful sense of the word. In addition to its non-traditional look and the aforementioned stigmas attached to it, the AR’s small-caliber cartridge ruled it out for many hunters. Accustomed to taking down trophy bucks with a hefty .30-caliber round, they ridiculed the AR-15 as a “mouse gun” and feared that its smaller .223-caliber bullet would only wound an animal, instead of taking it down with a single, clean shot. Other hunters whose opinions of the AR were formed mostly by Hollywood movies hated the gun for the opposite reason, fearing that machine-gun-toting yahoos would be out shredding game, trees, and possibly other hunters with a spray of uber-high-powered bullets. Either way, traditionalist hunters felt that these modern “tactical” rifles were designed solely for armed combat, and therefore had no place in a sport where the prey can’t actually shoot back."

Full article here: The AR-15 Is More Than a Gun. It's a Gadget | Danger Room | Wired.com

I can personally attest they are excellent for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    LOL, actually if I look at semi's then Im definately a SKS person, but purely because of the cheap fun aspect of them,

I can see them as a huge blast, just I wonder about say hunting with them.

I mean there is a huge difference from $2k for an AR10/15 v $400~800 for a chinese/russian sks to take down a range and throw lead down. If I had $2k I'd be looking at or saving more for a quality bolt like a sako 85 I can hand onto my son one day. Otherwise, yes I think an SKS should be in my gun safe...Im sure my son wouldnt let it sit there gathering dust.

I'll buy a quality Noveske or similar AR that I can pass down along with my Benelli m2, Sako75, etc, and it'll be equally useful and used

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    what the hell is a FTR gun.
    In the only context I'm aware of, it's a subset of F-Class requiring a .308 or .223.

Fast cars and or speed doesn't kill.
    If it did i would be dead and so would anyone who had ever entered any sort of race.

Camper vans on the wrong side of the road and pissed Cunts kill.

Similarly i can't recall any case of a pistol grip or folding stock killing anyone ever.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Ryan, steven and James J. like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Fast cars and or speed doesn't kill.
    If it did i would be dead and so would anyone who had ever entered any sort of race.

Camper vans on the wrong side of the road and pissed Cunts kill.

Similarly i can't recall any case of a pistol grip or folding stock killing anyone ever.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    You're right, speed itself in suitable conditions and places does not kill anyone. I should stop making generalisations, but my posts are already too long

TR = target rifle or a "palma gun", in NATO military ammo. So .308 or .223, peep sites up to 1000yds, usually 30in or so barrel length, 13:1 twist 155gr max bullet. FTR is a TR / plama class gun but with a bipod and scope for us old gits who are half blind and too decrepid to hold the f**king thing up any more.

You can use a hunting type .308, but its not competitive. .223 is an alternative....

F-open is a "FTR" class where the caliber is free to 8mm and the front support can be a tripod, can weigh more I think as well. l 6MM, 6.5MM and 7MM seem popular. Generally costs shed loads to do....

Quote Originally Posted by scaggly View Post

ETA. Apologies if this sounds a bit grumpy, am at home today with toothache, so normal thought filters aren't working at their best.
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean that in the way it was taken, I mean't in the way that an AR is based on the M16 which was designed for killing people. As for used I am talking about how mass killings have been performed using guns but am un aware of any that have used a car.

I don't hate ARs at all, I own one myself!

Back to the original question, if you have an AR or AK derivative then I would be getting prepared to get an E endorsement, I have been.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean that in the way it was taken, I mean't in the way that an AR is based on the M16 which was designed for killing people. As for used I am talking about how mass killings have been performed using guns but am un aware of any that have used a car.

I don't hate ARs at all, I own one myself!

Back to the original question, if you have an AR or AK derivative then I would be getting prepared to get an E endorsement, I have been.
    Most bolt actions are based on the 98 Mauser originally, and that killed plenty of people. It's all about what you use it for now though that counts.
    Ryan and steven like this.

Yes but bolt actions don't attract the kinds of nutters that go and shoot up schools. MSSA do. Like I said, if you want that type of rifle then get the endorsenment, they aren't saying you can't have one and I think that most people would agree that the current A cat FAL is a little easy to get.