Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Are ASE suppressor really that good ?

All good, we just respected his wishes by keeping what he showed us on the down low

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Got and pics

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    We did a suppressor comparison test at our service rifle club one day. It was all subjective though, friend looked at hiring a DB meter for the test but it was major $rape, like not even funny. We tested: DPT mini can, Waitaki AR can, Hardy AR can, GW maxmus, and 3(?) of the ODL Ti cans.

Shit quality, you had to be there, last 3rd of vid is the best, but it's all subjective.
    Can't watch the video here, shit wifi, but weren't they all on different guns in that test?

I ran all the cans on my M4 in the last segment, except the Hardy I think, which performed the worst.

I shoot a mini ODL can on my 12.5" AR. It fits under the samson rail back to the gas block. It is hearing safe - which isnt bad for a short barrel. It is also the lightest suppressor I have handled. Kitchen scales have it at about 170gm - albeit not the most scientific weighing instrument. Im biased though as we sell them.

ODL
    I really hate to be videoed and when I was asked a question I was trying to be as honest and informative as possible while not realizing I was on film. Suppressor technology in general is not top secret voodoo and most of what I was saying is open source and applicable to any suppressor. I just prefer to not be on youtube. Next time you can run the cans on your rifles or mine and tape to your hearts content.

I would be dead keen on getting access to quality sound gear that has the dynamic range and speed to accurately provide objective sound measurements. I haven't found any that I can rent yet that go to 165 db for unsuppressed sounds.

Should have a 308 can and a small can at the next shoot but not the QD. That one is still about a week away.

ODL
    Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    really only want to buy one good one that will do my .30cal rifles and .22 ar15 would i lose alot of the sound suppression using a 30cal suppressor on a .22cal ?.
    You will lose a little sound reduction on the 22 cal but not huge amounts based on what you hear. Obviously the small bullet in the larger baffle aperture will allow more gas to escape but it will still provide good suppression. This is based on some of my older SS cans that I swap back and forth regularly. I will try this on the Ti cans this week as a comparison.

roughly what kind of DB reduction are you getting from your TI suppressors there ODL ? would they be similar too most nz made suppressors ? very interested in a ti 7.62 and just use it on the AR etc i like how you have them only minimal forward of the barrel.

Getting test gear is definately going to be your problem, apparently it is mucho hard to get a SPL meter which can reliably respond to sound impulses as fast as a gunshot - a $125 meter from dick smith isnt going to do... as with all these things, it might give you a number

I think my mate was quoted $8000 for hiring the gear to do it properly, heaven forbid it get damaged.

Some outrageous amount anyway

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Ill do some asking in regards to the fella that has it
    Via a 3rd party so I don't know how much of any info etc ill get directly

ODL
    roughly what kind of DB reduction are you getting from your TI suppressors there ODL ? would they be similar too most nz made suppressors ? very interested in a ti 7.62 and just use it on the AR etc i like how you have them only minimal forward of the barrel.
    They haven't been tested so I can't give you an honest answer. I tried to get this bloke from the states to test them since he is independent and appears to know what he is doing but getting them into the states is very difficult. Here is a db reference guide from that site to give you some ideas.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers and wouldn't use any numbers for comparison between brands unless they were all done on the same day at the same range on the same guns. Factors that will effect testing include; ammunition, barrel length, rifle action (bolt action or gas operated) reflection of nearby structures or trees or terrain, temp, humidity, cloud cover and height, location of test rig (standard is 1.5 meters up and 1m to the left side of barrel and at the shooters ear). Design factors can tailor a suppressor to the rifle since you don't need to worry about over gassing on bolt guns.

I doubt there is more than 7 db difference between most suppressors (loudest to quietest) that are on supersonic rifles since the crack is the primary noise and cannot be suppressed. That is where you get into other reasons for selection like weight, strength, longevity, cost , barrel overlap and length past the end of muzzle. The best thing is to try out a couple of different cans and see what you like. I try to create all the things in a suppressor that I want for shooting and I am sure the other manufacturers do as well. Different people want different things and anything that is designed is a compromise among the various factors.

I plan on testing a 762 at awakeri this weekend and will bring a 556 to try it on that for a comparison of how much louder the 556 is from a 762 can. Other people will have to give you their objective impression of the sound. Someone can film it too, as long as I am not in the picture!

ODL
    Take a read through this article. It is one of the most comprehensive writeups I have seen and will give you a very good overview on what suppressors will do for supersonic rifles. Sound Suppressors on High Powered Rifles
    Speill likes this.

ODL
    I can finally answer this honestly for the 556 version at least.

Here is the first independent test of one of our cans. It is the first production model 556-45 and was metered by a manufacturer in Canada.

Rifle: 14.5" M4
    Ammo: American Eagle 62gr
    Sound Meter: B&K 2209 / 4136 mic
    Test Protocol consistent with Mil Std 1474D as described by Phil Dater and Al Paulson. (Silencer History and Performance Vol 1, pg 85)

Raw Data: 140.1, 135.8, 137.0, 135.0, 136.7, 137.2, 136.4, 136.0, 138.3, 136.7

Avg SPL: 136.9 dB (hearing safe is 140 dB)
    FRP: +4.3 dB

Thanks for sending it to me, it is a very neat piece. I applaud your willingness to let the data be public. Too many designers won't share real data or try to cover up or obfuscate data that isn't great. You have done a good job with a very short can. For comparison sake I looked up my data on the BR Tuote Reflex Suppressors and yours did virtually the same SPL as those, which are def longer than yours.

Here is the link to the thread. You will have to log in.
    Digit and Kiwi Greg like this.
    Oceania-Defence.com