Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Cartman
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By Croc
  • 3 Post By flock

Thread: Barrels

Barrels

I’ve got a Remington 700 in 223 and shoot somewhere between 15 and 25 rounds (4 or 5 at a time) before the barrel’s too hot to hold. I’m a bench guy so break out a 22 while the barrel cools - 1st world problem I guess. If I went to a different barrel how much more uninterrupted shooting could I get?

if you remove suppressor and leave bolt open it will cool faster.... there have been oodles of ideas used over the years to cool barrels down quicker... but in answer to your question..how many realistically do you want???? you COULD go truck axel thick and shoot all day but the rifling itself may suffer faster /shorter life span.
    Croc likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah its a trade off a heavy barrel will let you out bigger strings together but take longer to cool down. Get another rimfire

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Croc likes this.

You can buy a barrel cooling fan that goes in the breech. Magnetospeed make one.
    Or a water jacket like Erik Cortina had in one of his vids.
    Or just drop the whole lot into a trough.
    Croc likes this.

Is 40 a realistic number? That will get me through a batch of reloads (after which I’m normally more confused than when I started LOL��)
    Brian and Shearer like this.

Swings and round abouts - Had 2 Savages 1 with a heavy and the other a pencil - yes with the heavy you can fire more shots quickly before things heat up, but the barrel with retain its heat for longer. Skinny barrel yip 5 shot & shes warm but also cools pretty quick. What you are doing makes perfect sense. ? is it a hunting rifle or a range rifle. Fouling shot +5 shot groups quickly not moving position, I seem to do best & if you watch your shots the moment you realise its becoming a good group, you will stuff it up. Just my 20cents.
    Micky Duck, RugerM77 and Croc like this.

Got 4 Rimfire's already.. After 223 is 308 my next stop or is there a calibre in between?

I wish that wasn’t true but when that second shot chases the first and the third is ooh f#%k I’m good the 4th’s a shambles Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Got 4 Rimfire's already.. After 223 is 308 my next stop or is there a calibre in between?
    there is simple a shop full of choices in between.... 5.5mm--------7.62mm pick a number in between those two and someone will have made something close and here will be numerous cartridges to propel projectile of said diameter/calibre
    75/15/10 black powder matters

223 / 308 are staples always components, plenty of range brass, I had my good brass & range brass which I don't mind losing in the field. But there is a whole world of cartridges to explore.