Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: trigger for my rem 700

Big_Les

trigger for my rem 700

Now i know , there are 50 variations on a theme when we talk triggers . But here is what i want for my remington 700 . I want to feel the trigger "loading"up . I want to know the break is near . I want it to be "predicatable' I want it to be "smooth" at the break . You know want i mean ..... just a blondie more before it breaks .... hold , hold steady , breathing settled . let it go . What trigger does that ?

First you need to decide whether you are a single or two stage guy, both types are capable of what you want but with a lean to two stage I'd think . . . For example a forumite has a Krico Model 340 s (designed I believe as a target rifle for "running boar" but much loved as a silhouette rifle by yanks) that has the most wonderful two stage trigger I've encountered, far far superior to the Bixn Andy (single stage) that I had . . . .

Just to clarify, two different rifles . .

Banned
    Trigger creep yuk

Big_Les
    gotta have the the load up . cant settle if its gonna be a surprise

Big_Les
    good onya ..... i will be looking around a trigger about NOW !

Are you describing trigger creep or just a consistent trigger pull weight? I’ve got a trigger tech on my rem 700 build, best trigger ive ever had. Very nice
    308mate and Barry the hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    Now i know , there are 50 variations on a theme when we talk triggers . But here is what i want for my remington 700 . I want to feel the trigger "loading"up . I want to know the break is near . I want it to be "predicatable' I want it to be "smooth" at the break . You know want i mean ..... just a blondie more before it breaks .... hold , hold steady , breathing settled . let it go . What trigger does that ?
    firstly what year Remington ? why - well the earlier had really good triggers once set up - later models yuk - I have a Rem 700 BDL in .222 from 1975 - best trigger on any rifle I have owned including sakos - 3 separate adjustments - they were adjustable for creep weight and backlash/overtravel - mine is set at 2lb - no creep no backlash and breaks as chrisp as - if its a later model and does not have the 3 adjustments then fit an aftermarket that has - but after a lot of years at target work am a little confused - loading up - break is near - well to me thats your trigger finger and what you are doing and feeling - the trigger is purely mechanical - its either dead chrisp on let off like breaking glass as some say with a weight you like or its got creep or to heavy or feels mushy -- maybe you do need a two stage like tentman is asking - me personally I dont like them but did shoot full bore with one and got used to it - but start by checking what trigger your Rem has- if not get an aftermarket - try Dead Eye Dicks for a Timney

Big_Les
    I am trying describe a feeling of a constant load to the point you know , that any further, the trigger will break . Then I hold , and steady myself and then that touch more , and the trigger breaks

Big_Les
    mine is a BDL as well probably 70-80 , now in a beaver tail synthetic . Its the original trigger . It has no "feel" to it . its neither heavy or light . its smooth and constant but i never get the sense the break is near . Cant ever say , "just a touch more"

okay - the loading bit is up to you - and how much pressure you are putting on the trigger - what you need is a good trigger - no creep and weight well for me 2lb but then I am used to a light weight - but very generally 4lb a little heavy -3lb quite okay for hunting - try that and if you want a little lighter then a good trigger can adjust easily - stagstalker recommends a trigger tech there ya go - and then practice - centerfires can be dry fired - shut your eyes and gently apply pressure - now if I was watching your trigger finger I should not be able to see it moving until that trigger lets go -thats how gentle you should be applying pressure - and a good trigger will let you do that

So I was thinking more towards the target shooting end of the scale, but sounds like your wanting it for a hunting rifle .. . . So anything less than 2 lbs isn't really an option for "all conditions". Spending a heap of money on a tier one trigger like the higher grades of Bixn'Andy or Triggertech might not pay off unless your technique is really good too.

Are you "pulling the trigger" with your finger, or are you "squeezing it off" with thumb and forefinger?

Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    mine is a BDL as well probably 70-80 , now in a beaver tail synthetic . Its the original trigger . It has no "feel" to it . its neither heavy or light . its smooth and constant but i never get the sense the break is near . Cant ever say , "just a touch more"
    needs a trip to a good gunsmith first up - they can be set up to be extremely crisp

As Barry says, if it’s a older model 700 with the Walker trigger then it just needs adjusting. They are a great unit with some adjustments.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    As Barry says, if it’s a older model 700 with the Walker trigger then it just needs adjusting. They are a great unit with some adjustments.
    yeah dead right Dicko - there could be a mechanical fault - neither heavy or light does not sound like a well set up rem trigger of that era- they are a standout for a factory trigger - pity rem went away from them - seem to recall something about court cases - vague recollection of one being set to light and going of accidentally ??- I think it was in the states - some one on here will know - be interested to hear what happened if some one does know