Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Barrels ruined by cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Chamber end carbon scrub I normally wet a mop or patch with Kroil, push it thru and let that soak in for 5-10 min. Then put a patch on a jag, wet that with slightly thicker oil like Breakfree CLP, and then apply abbrasive paste on top of that.

Once you are done scrubbing, you want to make REALLY sure you remove all abbrasive, so use something like brake cleaner or even meths. Remember that an abbrasive polishing compound will create a black patch, so don't think the patches will eventually come clean By that stage you would have created a small caliber smooth bore

You really need yo look down the barrel with a borescope to see if you have removed serious carbon (or rust). Bores scopes are a game changer interest of cleaning.
    Agree re the borescope for cleaning. Takes the guesswork out of it. Often find residual carbon or copper that’s a surprise. And then focus the technique. Arguably reduces any risk of overcleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Any one got any tips on how to get pitting out of a barrel?
    Sadly it’s there forever.

(To remove pitting you have to remove metal....)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

]Sadly it’s there forever.

(To remove pitting you have to remove metal....)

Typical, I lent a gun to a mate and it came back pitted. Won’t be doing that again.
    Finnwolf likes this.

Remember that an abrasive polishing compound will create a black patch, so don't think the patches will eventually come clean.
    A very good point, as this had me fooled for a long time - barrels that never seem to come clean.

Bores scopes are a game changer interest of cleaning.
    This. I haven't got the "gunsmith eye" that apparently can see down barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    A good mate of mine who is a qualified chemical engineer looked at me sideways and suggested it's not the most brilliant thing to do as it reacts with steel.
    Aqueous ammonia is an effective and inexpensive way of removing copper fouling, if/when that is required.
    Both mild and stainless steels are used in the manufacture and storage of ammonia, and while there can be corrosion issues, this depends more on other contaminants that are present than the ammonia itself. The reaction time-frames when this does occur are long. Reports to the contrary are good for selling the much more expensive alternatives. Do not store the ammonia anywhere near your brass.
    Here is a recent summary with references.
    http://eurocorr.efcweb.org/2018/abstracts/7/101877.pdf
    rupert and woods223 like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    I have always been a fan of Hoppes #9 (especially the original formulation), but Sweets is OK, and there will be others that are suitable. It is important to use a product that contains a metal fouling solvent (eg; ammonia or similar).
    You've got to be careful with Sweets as it contains a lot of ammonia. Some years back I saw a fairly new stainless Shilen select match barrel that was completely rooted because the owner left Sweet's in it and forgot about it until the next day. It was darkish grey to look at and even after extensive cleaning and using JB paste it wasn't able to be saved. Expensive mistake.

I pretty well stay with Collings #90 and Ballistol.
    csmiffy likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Any one got any tips on how to get pitting out of a barrel?
    Remove barrel from rifle, cut off barrel where pitting is. Re-crown and you're good to go. If you want to save time dont remove barrel

In all seriousness though, that's a bit shit of your mate.

Haha it is quite bad, yea it’s pretty stink. Lesson learnt tho

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    A bit of a side note, I found a bottle of Youngs 303 in the cupboard. That smell brings back some memories.
    Yes; same.Mine is a full red tin can like the old powder container shape. Paper label has "Parker Hale's four point plan" for all gun cleaning with Stephen Youngs. Nice to keep.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.