Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 22lr Cleaning Regime?? + my cleaning results

22lr Cleaning Regime?? + my cleaning results

I've heard a lot of different stories of having to clean after XXX rounds and between ammo changes for target orientated rifles but I have never been bothered. I was wondering if anyone has any 1st hand experience/results (preferably with photos) to show results of increased accuracy before and after cleaning? How many rounds in between cleans? And are there any recommended products to clean with to get rid of any residual lube?

I've never really been into cleaning me 22's but recently did a full clean with patches etc and though I'd share the results.
    Name:  Cleaning Test 1.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  549.2 KB
    Name:  Cleaning Test 2.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  524.5 KB
    It seemed to take around 2x 5shot groups before it settled down and I didn't seem to see any noticeable change in accuracy. I've probably put close to 1000x rounds down the tube and 15-20 different flavours through it without cleaning. This kind of leads me to believe it may not be worth cleaning at all?
    viper, MB and Cordite like this.

most .22lr ammo is wax coated so the bore doesnt need cleaning...the rest of rifle does....had an old single shot remington (should never have sold it) that wouldnt group at all after barrel was cleaned untill about 20 rounds had been through it....thar same rifle used to get a build up of unburnt powder if it wasnt oiled and every now and then would give me a black face and hell of a fright....shot thousands of animals with it over the years.
    Cordite and dannyb like this.

Fulla
    looks like yours likes to be shot dirty. I shoot rimfires dirty, I clean when accuracy falls off.
    mudgripz, quentin and omark like this.

Rust is what kills most 22s due to the commonly held belief that "you dont need to clean a 22"

Doesnt really apply to target shooters more the hunters 22 that gets put away and might be a few years till its next dusted off.
    Bagheera and MB like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I recently brought a externally great condition 1971 Model 54 heavy barreled action for the action at a very nice price

Got it to work, stuck the bore scope in it & was very impressed how clean it was

I was very unimpressed with the extensive amount of deep rust pitting in the complete length of the bore, you can just see the lands in some areas

The barrel appeared to be completed shagged & not even worth firing

As I had nothing to lose I chucked it in a stock I had from a 1970 Model 54 that I had re-barreled & stocked, mounted a competition Nightforce on it & shot it

Unbelievably it shoots incredibly well, at this stage it isn't worth sticking a new barrel on it as it is extremely unlikely to shoot any better,

Can't help thinking how good it would have shot new

Just finishing building a bench rest stock for it at the moment, modified an old blank I had lying around from my 416 Barrett years ago

Nearly ready for oiling

Currently plenty of time to do it

@Kiwi Greg Do you think that was from cleaning, not oiling properly and then not using it for years? I would have though the lube on the projectile would be enough to stop any rust forming?

I felt what was happening with mine after cleaning was the wax was filling back in the gaps /grooves etc....

Quote Originally Posted by suthy View Post
    @Kiwi Greg Do you think that was from cleaning, not oiling properly and then not using it for years? I would have though the lube on the projectile would be enough to stop any rust forming?
    I have no idea its nearly 40 years old, it has a huge amount of rust pitting in it

Its actually in very good condition for its age everywhere else except inside the bore, the most important bit.....

I had both my 22s start throwing fliers a year or so ago, they both went from .5" groups or less at 40m to barely being able to hold an inch.
    After giving them both a good clean the accuracy came back to normal.

Your average 22 that gets used for shooting a few rabbits and possums a night could go years without accuracy dropping off.
    Me shooting around 500 shoots a month meant cleaning was required a every 3 or 4 months.

I've found a dirt suppressor can have a big impact of accuracy, cleaning every 500-1000 rounds is a must for my DPT.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I have no idea its nearly 40 years old, ..
    That was 10 years ago.

"I recently brought a externally great condition 1971 Model 54 "

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    That was 10 years ago.

"I recently brought a externally great condition 1971 Model 54 "
    you are so right, my maths can be quite average from time to time...

Just had a look down a light weight barreled 70 Model 54, very little rust at all, barrel ,looks in good nick, shoots Eley Black & Tenex very well

Blueing is a little brown rather than black

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    semis need cleaning a lot more than bolt guns . Each gun is different , and some ammo is far dirtier than others
    remington and aguila 22 ammo is filthy burning. ok in bolts/levers etc but in a semi, never again

Name:  F76AAFCA-DE2B-4331-A61F-0FD415022EB3.jpeg
Views: 683
Size:  1.56 MBJust brought a old school BRNO 581, whats the best way to clean the barrels ( given limited access from chamber) thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    csmiffy likes this.

Looks worn-out from photo's, give you $50 for it... and a dozen beers
    csmiffy likes this.

rule 1 of semi auto 22 is no remington ammo, its filthy stuff