Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 22lr Cleaning Regime?? + my cleaning results

Name:  26D1ABC1-11DF-4E1F-A6A2-D295D43C2BF6.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  272.4 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    remington and aguila 22 ammo is filthy burning. ok in bolts/levers etc but in a semi, never again
    yea i brought these and barrel really grubby
    Last edited by muzza2020; 24-10-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: photo

There are a few old anschutz 1407 and similar in club safes with fine rust all over now.
    How long does the wood stay good ? Few had bedding compound in the day.

I would have thought the wax would be burnt out by the powder flame . Surely that must be an myth ? Sure wax builds up around the bolt and action but in the bore it must be just carbon fouling.

Very interesting to see your groups suthy specially the first shot cold clean.
    You should re post them on gimp’s accuracy challenge thread.
    suthy likes this.

Three runs with a bore snake, third run with a bit of oil on the end of the snake, that"s it.
    ebf likes this.

I spoke with a rabbit shooter that was in looking for a barrel for his 1022 that he had shot out.
    about cleaning he said he used 2stroke mixed petrol and that cleaned the build up and left a oily residue when the petrol evaporated off
    probably not fancy enough for target shooting but for a good ol working pooger 1022 sounded like a good idea to me

I had to clean the wax out of my marlin bolt recently, CCI subs have so much wax some of the bullets come stuck together bad batch? Anyway she didn't like a fast extraction of unfired round, cleaned the wax out of the lands area and all go Geronimo!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Three runs with a bore snake, third run with a bit of oil on the end of the snake, that"s it.
    This, with some BoreTech Rimfire Blend on the bronze brush part o the snake.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The only time I’ve ever cleaned a 22 was when I got my father in laws Norinco. Broke it apart to tidy it up and it never shot the same again. Don’t think I ever saw Dad clean his 22s when I was growing up either lol.

I started with a Gevarm semi auto and used it heaps – hard to clean it so I didn’t bother – once it went auto and cleaned out the mag - so I sold it and got a bolt action Bruno – that didn’t last long and I tossed up between a Bruno semi and a Unique semi – chose the Unique. It often doesn’t recycle sub-sonic – so maybe a lack of cleaning.
    Last edited by time out; 09-07-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur McBride View Post
    I don't clean a .22 unless it has got wet or something. My old man told me a hundred years ago that the wax on a .22 bullet protects the bore enough, and he seems to have been right. I have seen a lot of really old .22's still with good bores. (Seen some bad ones too, but they may have been rained on...or cleaned.)

Someone told me that when you change ammo brands, that you have to coat the bore with the new wax lube, so I shoot five rounds of a new brand of ammo into the bank before I shoot a group or sight it in. I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems to be true so I continue to do it.
    ' My old man told me a hundred years ago'... the lead up to the Great Depression in 1929 must have been hell. Was ammo difficult to come by?

MB
    Never understood why rimfires are treated differently from a centrefire. The bore may not come under the same stress or exposure to contaminants, but they are made from the same materials, not fairy dust and magic. Too much cleaning or bad cleaning practices will damage them just like a centrefire, but rust doesn't discriminate. If I give my rimfire a good clean, it does throw the zero off for a few shots. Same with my centrefires.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Hard copper jacketed projos at 2500+ vs soft lead, copper and wax coated at 1200...
    Rain and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Never understood why rimfires are treated differently from a centrefire. The bore may not come under the same stress or exposure to contaminants, but they are made from the same materials, not fairy dust and magic. Too much cleaning or bad cleaning practices will damage them just like a centrefire, but rust doesn't discriminate. If I give my rimfire a good clean, it does throw the zero off for a few shots. Same with my centrefires.
    People tend to shoot further distances than what the 22 round was intended for. This stresses the metal and causes it to hair line crack at the muzzle. A fine coating of talcum powder at the muzzle will soon reveal the cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    People tend to shoot further distances than what the 22 round was intended for. This stresses the metal and causes it to hair line crack at the muzzle. A fine coating of talcum powder at the muzzle will soon reveal the cracks.
    Wut.
    ebf and Gibo like this.

What? You just aim it up higher to go further?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What? You just aim it up higher to go further?
    that's exactly what causes the cracking...