Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: Base and ring compatibility

Base and ring compatibility

Short description first
    Have a Redfield turn in front with windage rear one piece base for a rifle of mine. Also have similar vintage turn in burris rings.
    Online research suggests they should fit. Been a long time since I fitted similar (second part of the question but relevant), but matching Redfield rings and bases to my 243.
    So should they fit? Tried finger tight but too tight to work. Suppose they should be quite firm to work but don't want to start levering on them and wrecking them both.
    Second part is I was looking at swapping out the scope on the 243 and these particular off set bases may be the go for that and then the Redfield bases from the 243 should deffo fit the first rifle.
    But still need the burris rings to fit that too otherwise need new rings.
    So ultimately I spose how tight are the turn in rings.
    Maybe @gundoc could chip in?
    Cheers
    Smithy

Edit:just read instructions online and it suggests to use a 5/8 spanner so still must be reasonably firm to fit?
    Last edited by csmiffy; 03-05-2023 at 10:01 PM.

They are definelty "firm". I have some spare 1" ring sets here if you'd like them . . .
    csmiffy likes this.

I mostly use Leupold setup of same style but have mix and matched before successfully. I use a bit of lube on the twist in rings but they are bloody tight to twist in, I guess thats why I've had no issues with them over the years. Set of Leupold bases and rings been on a Winchester M70 308 since about "89 and never given a problem, rifle was used almost weekly until about 2000, every month or so since then, so have proven their reliability.

@Tentman might hold you to that yet @woods223 the ones on the 243 were still pretty good when I had to tighten the bloody screws on the bases themselves lol
    Taken them to work so if I get a sneaky five I'll wack it in a vice and get the spanner out for a test run

If you were to read Leopoldo instructions they advise to use a 1” dowel lightly clamped in rings to initially twist ring into base. They free up somewhat after first fitting. As said above I mainly use leupold gear but acquired other brands over years and they’ve worked ok.

I have used heaps of these back in the day and they are usually pretty firm and as mentioned definitely use some grease on the mating surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    I have used heaps of these back in the day and they are usually pretty firm and as mentioned definitely use some grease on the mating surfaces.
    I bet you say that to all the boys!!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Just tried it at work. Liberal amounts of grease and 5/8 spanner. Firm but not bad
    Crisis averted but may need different rings yet.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings All,
    I have used a section of bike seat riser that is 25.4mm or thereabouts. I have this in clamped in the rings when I tighten the screws that hold the rear ring to stop any twisting of the rear ring. Replace with the scope afterward. Recently most scopes have been mounted in weaver type bases and rings.
    GPM.

I tried to make a reamer for lapping 1"rings a few years back but have never tried it to see if it works.
    Going to get some 1" bar and make an alignment set

Easing the angled shoulders on the bottom of the ring will help. They should be firm but not super hard to turn with a suitably padded 8" Crescent. Although there are several similar systems offered by different makers they all have minor differences. It is easy to fix the ones that are tight, but not so easy to fix the loose ones. Just break the leading edges with a needle file for a start, and then ease the shoulders with wet & dry paper backed by a narrow file. Patience and frequent testing is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Easing the angled shoulders on the bottom of the ring will help. They should be firm but not super hard to turn with a suitably padded 8" Crescent. Although there are several similar systems offered by different makers they all have minor differences. It is easy to fix the ones that are tight, but not so easy to fix the loose ones. Just break the leading edges with a needle file for a start, and then ease the shoulders with wet & dry paper backed by a narrow file. Patience and frequent testing is the answer.
    @gundoc good to know. As posted tried it already with a spanner and it was pretty much on the money. Definitely not loose but not scary tight either.