Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: best 303 ammo

marty-henry. yes that's the main reason I want to stick with factory at present. Unless something drastic happens and I get out a lot more and see a lot of animals (never used to happen when I did get out years ago lol) I'll be lucky to get through a packet a year-sad but true. If there was a bit more cash around I'd consider it but just not there. Did some years ago with my 416 but I had the dies and a friend had the press so I cheaped out a little. Had to for that big girl.
    Much the same reason I'd like a 17wsm if it shot well. 17hornet faster and the rifles are almost cheaper and more accurate but only cost effective If I reload for what I want to do with it.
    Bumblefoot-It may be a silly thing to say but in the smaller animals a 180 grain that probably wont expand at all but will drive right through and let daylight in at both ends may be the go-similar to the heavy cast bullets Cordite has suggested and what seems to be the norm for the heavier subsonic rifles calibres out there.
    Bullet already big just has to touch as much as possible and come out the other side.
    In saying that, I'm sure the soft lead cast bullets would mushroom and do some damage otherwise it would be just the same as using FMJ projectiles.
    Funnily enough I remember an old guy I briefly worked with years ago who liked the old 303's etc over the newer faster 243's and the like because they went too fast came out the other side before doing anything haha.
    Last edited by csmiffy; 04-02-2018 at 11:38 AM.

So has anyone shot a bit of the Greek gun city stuff and can say how it goes? Looking at getting some bulk 303 and might go with that if it's ok for a no4 mk1.

Im going to be a cheeky bastard and start this thread up again. Where oh where has all of the ol 30 ammunition gone now. I cant find any PPU anywhere . Could anyone point me in the right direction for which ammo to buy instead of the ppu . Is Winchester any good. Had bad results in my .22 mag with winchester , it was splitting the cases and not ejecting . I have seen federal ammunition for 303 in some shops but they are about $120 for twenty pills ....... Thats spendy !
    Or could anyone have an excess of 303 ammunition they want to sell ?
    thankss
    Patience Is A Virtue

any ammunition is better than none...factory winchester should be great.... it is in 308,223,270 and you arent being cheeky at all.....if someone has some spare at home and can get it to this member so he can try out his new/old girl PLEASE do so.
    Jusepy likes this.

Thanks micky duck , sorry for bleating on about it.
    I will ring around on monday and see if anyone has any winchester.

I messaged magnum imports and they said they have some 303 ammunition but didnt say what breed so i may travel over to wanganui to see what i can buy.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Im going to be a cheeky bastard and start this thread up again. Where oh where has all of the ol 30 ammunition gone now. I cant find any PPU anywhere . Could anyone point me in the right direction for which ammo to buy instead of the ppu . Is Winchester any good. Had bad results in my .22 mag with winchester , it was splitting the cases and not ejecting . I have seen federal ammunition for 303 in some shops but they are about $120 for twenty pills ....... Thats spendy !
    Or could anyone have an excess of 303 ammunition they want to sell ?
    thankss
    Gun city has ppu. Reloaders supplies might, given them a ring

I messaged gun city yesterday , They didnt seem to think they had any.
    Reloaders , thanks I havnt tried them yet.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    I messaged gun city yesterday , They didnt seem to think they had any.
    Reloaders , thanks I havnt tried them yet.
    https://www.guncity.com/ppu-prvi-par...-rounds-220248
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah i saw that @Danger Mouse , i wonder if the left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing in regards to stock. Shouldnt be showing they have it for sale if they are out of stock..

Im tempted to hit buy now and see what kind of an excuse/if any PPU ammo turns up..
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

there will be fine print re availability of supply,if its in Christchurch they may not ship it up...no harm in trying . magnum imports would be my FIRST port of call....gun shitty doesnt get any of my hard earned $$$

Ok , ill give magnum inports a ring tommorow morning.
    Is gun city like hunting and fishing to you ?
    Patience Is A Virtue

A couple of GC branches have none left . The others have a small amount.

I've had a good run out of winchester 180g which I picked up from Farmlands when they ceased selling n.v g ammunition.

Have had a mixed run out of the Greek milsurp. About 10% misfire and had a bolt extractor break while shooting. Happened half way thru an evening rabbit shooting and ruined a fun afternoon

A couple of GC branches have none left . The others have a small amount depending on if you want 150g or 180g
    Jusepy likes this.

Name:  FB_IMG_1626681685454.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  46.5 KB

Guncity cheap ammo is always exciting